User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

iPhone 3GS battery discharging?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 3GS battery discharging?
almost2mac

2010-01-23, 14:49

Maybe this goes in Genius Bar, but it's less tech support and more advice...

I've noticed my iPhone is discharging the battery extremely rapidly all of a sudden. The new version of Facebook had asked me if I wanted to turn on push, and like a fool I answered yes, and the phone vibrated an entire bus ride probably due to Farmville. So that's turned off now, and I have even temporarily removed the Facebook app.

Previously I would listen to podcasts while websurfing through my entire commute (maybe 2-3 hours a day total on 3G) and I would get home with about 25% of my battery life, but last week it seemed like I was getting the low battery alarm before the end of the day.

Can anyone suggest any battery restoring/conserving tips that I might not have thought of?

I've restored the phone and removed all the apps I don't use in case any were making web checks I wasn't aware of.
I've turned off push email and changed it to fetch hourly.
I've reduced the screen brightness to about 25%
WiFi is off unless I know I'm in range of a point and turn it on manually.
Location Services I turned off yesterday, but it didn't seem to make a difference so I turned it back on - previously this hadn't caused a noticeable drain.

I know on Macbooks they suggest you occasionally drain the battery completely and recharge it in one go fully to kind of reset the calibration. I tend to store it in the cradle if I'm not carrying it. Would a complete discharge/charge make any difference or is that voodoo?