User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Neighbors and Whitelist Chit-Chat


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Neighbors and Whitelist Chit-Chat
Page 2 of 7 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
SonicZeHedgehog
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
 
2012-02-26, 22:35

Hello. I've been a lurker for a while now and I would like to be white listed. I'm a friend of Rowdy's
  quote
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Great Bay Temple
Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-02-26, 22:58

Yay, Sonic's finally posting!
  quote
Brad
Selfish Heathen
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Zone of Pain
 
2012-02-26, 23:20

Ho snap! Does Rowdy vouch?
  quote
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Great Bay Temple
Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-02-26, 23:43

I vouch!
  quote
Foj
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-03-17, 22:42

*slowly raises hand*

So, I recently caved in and got minecraft and I guess this is the place to ask to be on the white list.

Minecraft name: Foj

I'll be practicing before I hop in, but it'll be a bit random when I do.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.

Last edited by Foj : 2012-03-17 at 23:40.
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2012-03-17, 23:37

Welcome! So glad to have you with us.

I'm not sure of which thread is the best to ask in anymore really. I've added you to the whitelist though I don't think it will be active until the restart of the game at 5AM or so.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
ggnorekthx
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ohio
 
2012-03-19, 10:23

Hello, my name is Dan! I'm friends with sachmo1337 and I've been playing Minecraft since Alpha 1.2 (Halloween Update) I am interested in joining your server. I've got a lot of experience and I am pretty easy going. I like to build big! Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Btw my in-game name is ggnorekthx.
  quote
sachmo1337
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
 
2012-03-19, 10:27

ggnorekthx is a friend of mine irl. He's cool I can promise good builds team work on building stuff if you work with him. No griefing from him at all and a good attitude. So yeah I vouch for him. In game name for him is LeetHobbit I believe.


Edit: I lied his in game name is ggnorekthx
  quote
709
Damned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-03-19, 10:41

I'm not sold on your last friend, honestly.

From the first post in this thread:

Quote:
Membership Prerequisites
  1. Introduce yourself, some background helps.
  2. If not previously an AN member, then state who invited you (AN members with strong community standing only please) to join.
  3. Then that AN member must vouch for you in this thread before you can be whitelisted.
You were whitelisted because you're friends with turtle, and turtle vouched for you. But people with no AN history whatsoever and who never participate on AN are really not what the server was meant to be about. Members here have donated cash to pay for RAM and SSD upgrades to the server, and it'd be nice if more AN members (like Foj ) were a part of it, not friends of a friend of a friend that just join AN to jump on a MC server.

imo.

So it goes.
  quote
ggnorekthx
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ohio
 
2012-03-19, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm not sold on your last friend, honestly.

From the first post in this thread:



You were whitelisted because you're friends with turtle, and turtle vouched for you. But people with no AN history whatsoever and who never participate on AN are really not what the server was meant to be about. Members here have donated cash to pay for RAM and SSD upgrades to the server, and it'd be nice if more AN members (like Foj ) were a part of it, not friends of a friend of a friend that just join AN to jump on a MC server.

imo.
But, but, but... I'll build you a diamond statue! On a more serious note, I understand. I'll be happy to post around the forums and stuff to get acquainted if that helps. Seems like a pretty cool community.
  quote
sachmo1337
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
 
2012-03-19, 11:27

Then why did Etnie get white listed? Because I have an history (not much but almost a year worth now.) and I feel like I'm in good standing with everyone on here. I may not go out of my way to explore other parts of an besides the mc section of it all. Anyone that is in game knows me and knows that when my pc isn't acting up or rl isn't getting in the way I'm on and active. And not going to lie how are you going to increase an's(Not just mc) community if you don't let noobs join?... Not trying to flame or be a douche but that's how thing grow is by a friend of a friend of a friend. With how I feel I am on mc and an it would be a friend joining and not just a friend of a friend.

With you not being sold on my last friend? I'm curios as to what you mean by that? Are you saying Etnie or ggnorekthx?
  quote
709
Damned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-03-19, 11:29

Well, you're probably in anyways. turtle will whitelist anybody.

It is a cool community, and it would speak volumes about you if you participated in some of the conversations outside of the MC threads.

So it goes.
  quote
sachmo1337
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
 
2012-03-19, 11:33

Are you an admin or mod 709?
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cascadia
 
2012-03-19, 12:31

No, but he's allowed express his opinion.

Idunno. Since 709 opened up that can of worms, I think I might agree with him. I'm cool with AN members bringing their friends onboard, but when those friends start bringing their friends onboard it starts to feel less like a server of a bunch of friends and more like a bunch of strangers.

I mean, not to be rude, but nobody (but turtle) knew you before you joined our server and while you did join the forums ten months ago and have posted in GamingNova some, you're still pretty much a stranger to many of us. To be blunt, you're still "turtle's friend." Speaking for myself, I don't really know you at all, and I've actually gotten the impression that you don't particularly want to get to know me, though I don't want to poison the well.

I'm not trying to sound cliquish, but I hope you understand that many of us have been here for years — the better part of a decade, now! — and we all go back a long way. We're probably an unusually close-knit community, by Internet standards. AppleNova is a very special forum, and we're happy to grow and make friends with cool new people, but I hope you can understand that we also all keep coming here because it's not just a bunch of strangers.

You do have a good point, about AppleNova as a whole not being able to grow if we don't let "noobs" join. But I hope you can also see that to many of us, you're still a noob (no offense). And we're cool with that! We love noobs. But you're the first still-new member to also want to invite another person, and now another, so this is sort of new territory for us, and people might have mixed feelings. We're happy to have new blood in the neighborhood, but we also want to still be, you know, a neighborhood.

I hope you can understand that it's nothing personal, and anyone weighing in on the matter is just passionate about our community.

Re: why Etnie got whitelisted, I know I personally had these same qualms about Etnie joining, but he was whitelisted before I articulated them. Like I said before, this is all sort of new territory for us, so forgive us if it takes us a bit of time to figure out how we feel about things.

AppleNova is very much Not A Democracy, and in the end it's not up to us plebs, but I would be interested in hearing what other members of the community feel about this, especially if they disagree with 709 and I.

i won't let you hurt my planet / and i won't let you hurt my friends
  quote
drewprops
Magnificent Basturd™
sagacious-d
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-03-19, 13:41

I think that Robo said that very well.

We want to get to know you folks in the forums!!
Pull up a thread and contribute... this isn't a fanboy forum, it's some cool folks, like me.
Well, I'm really the only cool one.
Murbot is pretty cool, but he's really more "bitchin" if you asked me.
And Scates says it like it is.

I was in game on the night that 709 (Greychristian) addressed Etnie's claim to "Robo's Mountain". Grey, I think you were so determined to get Etnie to abandon his claim that you ruffled his feathers, which made him dig in his heels to wait to see what Robo would say to him.

So, we need diplomacy on our end, but ALL our n00bies need to and listen to the people who've been on awhile. This is NOT a public server, as Robo says, we have long-lasting relationships. Heck, Brad is carrying my baby.

My friend Dellphi reads the boards but he doesn't post much. I'd like to encourage HIM to post in other threads as well. Note that he doesn't have as much energy as the rest of us, or as much desire to "get into it" on all sorts of topics, but we want to be playing with our pals.

And you can't really be our pals if you don't share some of the funny shit that goes on in the forums, now can you??

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
  quote
Etnie
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Alabama
 
2012-03-19, 14:50

Let me start with this, I know i haven't been posting in this forum yet. I haven't done so because I'm not so comfortable yet. I haven't had the time to look at the forums consistently enough to start posting. I will try and post more but it isn't a priority, If you want to talk and learn a little bit more bout me then talk to me when Im in the server. I get the occasional "hi" or "hey" but after that I feel like a ghost in the chat.

As far as the whole land claim ordeal I never saw any post from robo stating I was in the way and I was hoping that I could talk to him in game about if I should re-locate or not. I wasn't trying to be mean or claim the land he already had. I wanted that small piece with the river and pond and I logged off there before robo's hut appeared. started building and such and figured I wasn't in the way of his house at the top of the mountain.
I have moved so the land is all yours but seriously guys I felt like I was being pushed off my farm by random players saying I was in the way, I just wanted the owner of the mountain to say I was in the way.
  quote
Foj
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-03-19, 15:25

That reminds me, I was on earlier looking around for unclaimed land in the jungle (near the main building area/downtown I think). I think I was in unclaimed jungle area since it was unlit and was chased by a couple creepers at night. One exploded while we were in some water, but I don't think anybody's land/cave was hurt.

If you have activity in the jungle area that looks damaged from creeper explosion let me know and I'll try to fix it. It might have been from me.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-03-19, 15:39

If there aren't torches then it is likely that the land isn't claimed, but you should still look for neighbors and ask them if it is ok... SpecMode is in that jungle...
  quote
Foj
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-03-19, 15:44

I'll check with him. I saw where he was mining, but didn't touch anything, at least not intentionally.
  quote
SpecMode
Wait what
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NorCal
 
2012-03-19, 16:23

Just try not to blow up the base of my treehouse (it's happened three times, only one of which was because of me), and we'll get along just fine.
  quote
Foj
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-03-19, 16:41

You won't have to worry about that. I think I've found unclaimed snow biome. I had to move out a ways, but it looks untouched. No torches or signs of activity

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cascadia
 
2012-03-19, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etnie View Post
Let me start with this, I know i haven't been posting in this forum yet. I haven't done so because I'm not so comfortable yet.
Aww, don't be shy. We're all nice people, I mean this isn't 4chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etnie
If you want to talk and learn a little bit more bout me then talk to me when Im in the server. I get the occasional "hi" or "hey" but after that I feel like a ghost in the chat.
You can speak up too! Ya can't just go to a party with a bunch of strangers and hope that they'll talk start talking to you. But just this once, I'll start. I'm Jack! I play a lot of videogames and like LEGO and cars and motorcycles. I'm interested in technology startups and I'm currently learning how to code. Sort of. "For loops" am cry

The cool thing about chatting in Minecraft is that you always have conversational material...Minecraft! But we also chat about lots of other random things (especially if I'm on ). Sometimes Brad and Rowdy and I geek out, but it's mostly accessible stuff, like reviews of fast food. And puns! And fast food. So feel free to join in! And don't feel bad if you miss one of our obscure pop cultural references. Half the time I don't get them either and just play along ( my secret revealed!). I'm sort of homeschooled like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etnie
As far as the whole land claim ordeal I never saw any post from robo stating I was in the way and I was hoping that I could talk to him in game about if I should re-locate or not. I wasn't trying to be mean or claim the land he already had. I wanted that small piece with the river and pond and I logged off there before robo's hut appeared. started building and such and figured I wasn't in the way of his house at the top of the mountain.
I have moved so the land is all yours but seriously guys I felt like I was being pushed off my farm by random players saying I was in the way, I just wanted the owner of the mountain to say I was in the way.
Aww, I really do hope nobody feels pushed around.

I was gone last week (I sort of live in two states — long story) so that was why I haven't caught you on Minecraft (though I would have replied if you had posted about it here!). Unfortunately, what the other players were telling you was true — that mountain and the surrounding area is intended for a very large project that I started planning for the old world, and grey marked that mountain for me because he knew mountains were rare in this world and he thought that one would be a good fit (and it is). I spent a lot of Sunday trying to find another mountain I could move to (because I'm Conflict Avodiance Robo) and I just couldn't.

I'll help you build a new farm, though, if you want. If you don't care about having a mountain, there's a wide open field past the jungle west of our starting town! I tried to build a sheep farm there, but it...didn't really work out.

I hope you keep playing with us (and chatting!). I think you'll find that we're all actually pretty cool about welcoming newcomers into our community, as long as they want to join our community, and not just form their own little clique of IRL friends on our server. We're all a bunch of really cool people (and bobsky) so feel free to get to know us.

i won't let you hurt my planet / and i won't let you hurt my friends

Last edited by Robo : 2012-03-19 at 17:06.
  quote
drewprops
Magnificent Basturd™
sagacious-d
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-03-19, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Just try not to blow up the base of my treehouse (it's happened three times, only one of which was because of me), and we'll get along just fine.
If you'd built that treehouse out of obsidian you wouldn't be such a crybaby!!!

::ducks::






...
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cascadia
 
2012-03-19, 17:17

Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
*slowly raises hand*

So, I recently caved in and got minecraft and I guess this is the place to ask to be on the white list.

Minecraft name: Foj

I'll be practicing before I hop in, but it'll be a bit random when I do.
Holyshit, welcome! I can finally ACCEPT YOUR FRIEND REQUEST.

Just kidding. Minecraft doesn't have friend lists. But if it did, I would totally friend you!

Also, screw "practicing." Just hop on. It's not like Minecraft has any of those newfangled "tutorials" or anything, so just have Minecraftwiki open in another window, because you will need it for the crafting recipes. Press T to bring up the chatbar. And if you spawn underwater, hold space to swim up.

Also, you win the award for shortest username. Impressive!

i won't let you hurt my planet / and i won't let you hurt my friends
  quote
Foj
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-03-19, 17:24

I've got a little house and some area marked off in the snow biome. Got a little help from 709 and billybobsky with some equipment and a bit food/seeds. Thanks guys.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
  quote
Foj
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-03-19, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Holyshit, welcome! I can finally ACCEPT YOUR FRIEND REQUEST.

Just kidding. Minecraft doesn't have friend lists. But if it did, I would totally friend you!

Also, screw "practicing." Just hop on. It's not like Minecraft has any of those newfangled "tutorials" or anything, so just have Minecraftwiki open in another window, because you will need it for the crafting recipes. Press T to bring up the chatbar. And if you spawn underwater, hold space to swim up.

Also, you win the award for shortest username. Impressive!
So this is what it took for you to be my virtual friend? Why didn't you say so earlier?

Yeah I figured out the spawning in water thing. I'll definitely check out the Minecraftwiki.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
  quote
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Great Bay Temple
Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-03-19, 17:34

I'll chime in.

I'd personally like to see new people post on the forums a bit, or at least be documented lurkers. When Stevuh signed up, he'd been a member of AN for 5 years, despite not having posted in 4 and only lurked. Sonic joined up after lurking for several months, and if his schedule would accommodate a bit better, will likely post more often on the forums. Part of our server is that we are a community away from it, and at least personally, I'd like that to go for anyone that joins us. That isn't to say I don't want new people to join - I just want them to be active here, too, so that we can get to know you! The game is much more fun when playing with people you interact with outside of the game, too.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
  quote
sachmo1337
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
 
2012-03-19, 17:35

Robo I'd love to get to know everyone on here better. The only reason I responded to 709 was because I honestly do know more than just turtle. Brad and grey can vouch for that. So when I say I feel like etnie and gg are friends joining and not friends of friends is because I feel just that. Grey turtle Brad and a few others made me feel welcome. I thought it would be fine to invite a few rl friends. Not saying 709 is wrong in what he's saying. Honestly gg and etnie are the only two I want to invite here. Mainly since they're mainly MC loners and wouldn't try to flood MC with noons. I can promise nothing but respect from them. No griefing and always willing to help others.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cascadia
 
2012-03-19, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
So this is what it took for you to be my virtual friend? Why didn't you say so earlier?

Yeah I figured out the spawning in water thing. I'll definitely check out the Minecraftwiki.
We were virtual friends before! I just can't accept your PS3 friend request because herp a derp PS3.
  quote
709
Damned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-03-19, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo1337 View Post
Robo I'd love to get to know everyone on here better. The only reason I responded to 709 was because I honestly do know more than just turtle. Brad and grey can vouch for that. So when I say I feel like etnie and gg are friends joining and not friends of friends is because I feel just that. Grey turtle Brad and a few others made me feel welcome. I thought it would be fine to invite a few rl friends. Not saying 709 is wrong in what he's saying. Honestly gg and etnie are the only two I want to invite here. Mainly since they're mainly MC loners and wouldn't try to flood MC with noons. I can promise nothing but respect from them. No griefing and always willing to help others.
I'm Grey, sachmo. Of course I made you feel welcome... I like our server and it's fun to have new players on, and right off the bat you seemed like a good cat and you've been nothing but fun on the server. I really don't have a problem with Etnie either other than his resistance to reading the forums. If he had done that this whole conflict could've been avoided. The MC server is an extension of the AppleNova forums, point.

Sure, maybe I was a bit pushy when I tried to help Etnie find a new land claim (even though the area I showed him would've been perfect). Mea culpa. But if he's hoping to resolve disputes by trying to catch people on MC whenever and not posting here, that's not really going to work.

As for the friend x3 thing, you were gone for so long between Bridgeport and this world that it does kind've feel like you're still fresh on the server. I understand that life gets in the way sometimes. Don't think that we didn't ask about you though.

And I already like ggnorekthx. Just the fact that he was cool about hanging out for a bit made me want to welcome him to the server. The diamond statue of me has nothing to do with it, I swear.

But I think Robo said it best. We're a tight-knit community, and bringing in someone that has made it clear he can't be bothered with being a part of the community (Etnie, not ggnorekthx) is a little off-putting.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-03-19 at 18:06.
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 2 of 7 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MC: AppleNova Server Member Whitelist Brad GamingNova 94 2012-01-25 21:42
What to do with bad neighbors WBG4 AppleOutsider 29 2006-11-26 16:42
When Neighbors Aren't Neighbors Moogs AppleOutsider 68 2006-08-29 10:26
AN chat Kickaha AppleOutsider 6 2004-11-01 20:21
ok, upgraded neighbors PM G4 466 digital audio... thegelding Genius Bar 10 2004-09-08 19:06


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, AppleNova