User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 5 of 68 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
Quagmire
meh

2010-01-01, 21:42

Agreed. The sooner Cadillac can build a car that is faster then the Corvette would be a good sign that GM is willing to do whatever it takes to get back its customers. The Cien was such a wasted concept.....

giggity
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-01, 21:53

The XLR wasn't a great car, but I loved the idea of it. Cadillac needs a halo car, and what says "luxury" better than a roadster? I guess they're going to use the XTS as their new halo car, but I'm not sure how well that's going to work. (It has a much less badass name, for starters.)

And yeah, Cadillac's always had great concepts. Evoq, Provoq, Converj, Sixteen...they aren't always practical, but they are always alluring.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-01-01, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I'm not sure how selling of GM piecemeal would even work, since all of their current vehicles share all of their platforms -- it's not like there's specific Cadillac platforms/factories/parts, Chevy platforms/factories/parts, &c. Hell, Buick and GMC share a dealer network (in addition to vaguely similar market positioning).

GM will be fine. They just need someone with an actual vision for once, someone who can create cars that can appeal to more just "car people" and brand loyalists, someone isn't afraid of killing some sacred cows and upsetting some people to get there. But that shouldn't be hard to find. Right?
I think you are missing the point. GM's value isn't in its factories/labor/management, it's its brands.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-01, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I think you are missing the point. GM's value isn't in its factories/labor/management, it's its brands.
I don't think their brands are that valuable, outside of Cadillac and trucks. But Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Company bought the Hummer brand, so apparently I'm way of base on this one.

One thing's for sure: if Chery buys Chevy, the world will officially explode.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Quagmire
meh

2010-01-07, 00:54

So first we had the regular Regal, now we have a Regal GS concept with a 2.0T 4 banger making 255 HP and 295 lb.-ft of torque.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...how-car-87722/

giggity
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-07, 01:06

Am I the only one who thinks the new Buick look is incredibly...blah? To use a term I read in MT once, it looks Asianonymous. I know that they want to be "America's Lexus" but that doesn't mean they have to make it look so...generic. I mean, the Regal doesn't even have the "sweepspear" character line. If you showed me just the C-pillar, I'd think it was a Nissan.

They went from looking ugly to looking just like tons of other cars. Less offensive, but not a huge improvement. But I guess Buick is going to be their "safe and boring" alternative to edgy Cadillac? Why do they need to have a "safe and boring" division? There's plenty of "safe and boring" luxury cars.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-01-07, 01:23

Man, that GS concept is a Buick I could get behind. Hmm, maybe that's because it reminds me of the Lexus is250.
Quagmire
meh

2010-01-07, 01:35

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks the new Buick look is incredibly...blah? To use a term I read in MT once, it looks Asianonymous. I know that they want to be "America's Lexus" but that doesn't mean they have to make it look so...generic. I mean, the Regal doesn't even have the "sweepspear" character line. If you showed me just the C-pillar, I'd think it was a Nissan.

They went from looking ugly to looking just like tons of other cars. Less offensive, but not a huge improvement. But I guess Buick is going to be their "safe and boring" alternative to edgy Cadillac? Why do they need to have a "safe and boring" division? There's plenty of "safe and boring" luxury cars.
Why would they design a Buick trait into the Opel Insignia OPC? From what I hear, the 2.0T may not make it into the GS as it is just a show car. It may be the 2.8T that is in the Insigna OPC that makes 325 HP when/if it makes production.

I still wish this was the Saturn Aura/ Aura Redline instead.

giggity
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-07, 01:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
I still wish this was the Saturn Aura/ Aura Redline instead.
Me too.

For anyone out there in the market, now is a supergood time to buy a Saturn Astra or somesuch. They're discounting them hugely. The catch is that, technically, the new vehicles are now being sold as "used," since the dealers are now officially the first owners. But if you don't mind that...

I'm still a little sad I'll never be able to get a Sky. Poor Saturn...the American revolution that wasn't. *tear*

Quagmire
meh

2010-01-08, 00:06

2011 Chevrolet Aveo RS Concept.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...concept-87774/

giggity
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-01-08, 00:11

Vomit.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-08, 00:12

Ahaha, I knew you would post that as soon as the embargo broke. Six minutes, not bad...of course, it did leak earlier today...but I wasn't going to spoil your fun.

It looks like an improvement, but I'm still not digging the huge grille. And we need a new Aveo now. The current one dates back to the 2004 model year, and it wasn't even that good then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopnik
The problem with the current Aveo is its crushing mediocrity. There's nothing outright bad about the car, but nothing very good about it either. GM's planning on upending that mediocrity with the next Aveo, moving the car onto a bigger platform, giving it some aggression and actually styling the interior.
Wait...so it's bigger...but still B-segment? Is that right? Is there really going to be that much space between the Spark (which seems larger than A-segment) and the Cruze (C-segment)? Redundancy FTL.

Quagmire
meh

2010-01-08, 00:18

Quote:
Ahaha, I knew you would post that as soon as the embargo broke. Six minutes, not bad...of course, it did leak earlier today...but I wasn't going to spoil your fun.

It looks like an improvement, but I'm still not digging the huge grille. And we need a new Aveo now. The current one dates back to the 2004 model year, and it wasn't even super good then.
I can assume the production Aveo will be on sale by the fall as it is a 2011 MY vehicle. This is fairly close to the production vehicle minus some body work and 19" wheels. Oh and that leather wrapped interior most likely as well.

Oh and I did forget to show off the CTS-V Coupe.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...v-coupe-87614/

giggity
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-01-08, 09:32

I thought the Cruze was replacing the Aveo? Or the Spark? Is GM splitting hairs with their car model segments or what?! Guh, one of the first things I would have done is simplify the product line. Just because Audi and others are making this mistake and haven't been hurt too much by it... yet, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Iago

2010-01-08, 10:45

I normally walk or take the underground, but if not, I use my mother's 2008 Range Rover Sport. Did you ever play that N64 racing game Roadsters Trophy? The car shadows were screwed and it looked like you were floating above the track. That's how it feels to drive the Range Rover. I think she had some modifications done because she wanted to one-up one of her idiot friends, but you can't tell. In general I'm an anxious driver, so it's happy chance that I'm also a fitness chappy who can legitimately claim to enjoy walking

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.
Quagmire
meh

2010-01-08, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
I thought the Cruze was replacing the Aveo? Or the Spark? Is GM splitting hairs with their car model segments or what?! Guh, one of the first things I would have done is simplify the product line. Just because Audi and others are making this mistake and haven't been hurt too much by it... yet, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Cruze is replacing Cobalt. Aveo is Aveo. Spark is the Smart car competitor.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-01-08, 11:46

I'm routinely surprised by what people think looks good or doesn't in a car. That Lincoln from the previous page is in fact quite interesting. It could look good as a Saab or a new age Citreon DS. Citroen's own new age DSs look hideous, as does that Cadillac Cein mid-engine monstrosity from the previous page. The CTS doesn't quite translate to 2 door form, maybe it's the slab sides and high beltline - it's kinda like a Cadillac GTO, not quite there. That Aveo ain't no Golf/Polo - hotwheels were fun when I was a kid, but they only looked good in actual pocket sized dimensions, not in a full size car, even a small one.

Quagmire
meh

2010-01-08, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I'm routinely surprised by what people think looks good or doesn't in a car. That Lincoln from the previous page is in fact quite interesting. It could look good as a Saab or a new age Citreon DS. Citroen's own new age DSs look hideous, as does that Cadillac Cein mid-engine monstrosity from the previous page. The CTS doesn't quite translate to 2 door form, maybe it's the slab sides and high beltline - it's kinda like a Cadillac GTO, not quite there. That Aveo ain't no Golf/Polo - hotwheels were fun when I was a kid, but they only looked good in actual pocket sized dimensions, not in a full size car, even a small one.
Me too. A person on another forum finds the Camry to be amazing and "sporty" looking.

The CTS Coupe looks IMHO pretty good in person. Now this is just the concept when I went to the British Auto Show, but the production CTS Coupe is not that different from it.

On another subject, anyone see the last episode of Top Gear? They couldn't admit the Vauxhall Insignia VXR was a good car. They somewhat did, but they decided to bore the crap out of people with that road sign BS so maybe people wouldn't notice they said the VXR was a good car.

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2010-01-08 at 13:01.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-01-08, 13:27

Quote:
On another subject, anyone see the last episode of Top Gear? They couldn't admit the Vauxhall Insignia VXR was a good car. They somewhat did, but they decided to bore the crap out of people with that road sign BS so maybe people wouldn't notice they said the VXR was a good car.
I haven't watched it much this season. It felt too scripted, I know a lot of people jav had that complaint. I am planning on catching up as soon as my comp gets back from Apple tho.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-01-08, 13:48

In the latest installment of the never ending Saab saga...it looks like a private equity firm involving F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone might bid. Maybe he should concentrate on making Formula 1 something more than a cure for insomnia than buying a dead company. GM is smartly moving to liquidate despite these bids which probably can't get financing. It's time for Saab to disappear. They haven't designed their own car since the 99/900. Thirty years of rebadges and reskins have killed the brand. Selling down market cars at luxury car prices was never a good strategy.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/spy...k=MW_news_stmp
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-08, 14:34

Downmarket masquerading as luxury? Sounds like Ecclestone all over it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-08, 14:40

I like the CTS coupe too, but not as much as I like the sportwagon. I'd take a CTS-V wagon in an instant (I know I'm probably one of the only ones...).

Also, I normally don't like SUVs or crossovers but for some reason I'm loving the new SRX. It's less wagonlike than the old one, so one would think I would like it less, but I'm totally in love with its new stance. I just wish it came in an ER-EV version, like the Provoq concept (or at least a hybrid version, like the Lexus RX). Instead, they make a hybrid Escalade...what's the point?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-01-08, 14:42

Any thoughts on the new KIA/Hyundai hybrids? Looks like they will be the cheapest hybrids on the market, when they become available .
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-01-08, 16:44

Quote:
2011 Chevrolet Aveo RS Concept.

That's odd, that's the Melbourne skyline. I wonder why it's in Melbourne (or is that a photoshop job?). We don't even have Chevrolet's here, much less left-hand drives... Although it might end up here rebadged as a Holden. We don't even have a GM holden production plant here.
Quagmire
meh

2010-01-08, 17:32

Quote:

I like the CTS coupe too, but not as much as I like the sportwagon. I'd take a CTS-V wagon in an instant (I know I'm probably one of the only ones...).

Also, I normally don't like SUVs or crossovers but for some reason I'm loving the new SRX. It's less wagonlike than the old one, so one would think I would like it less, but I'm totally in love with its new stance. I just wish it came in an ER-EV version, like the Provoq concept (or at least a hybrid version, like the Lexus RX). Instead, they make a hybrid Escalade...what's the point?
Don't get me started on the SRX.... POS FWD and now as reviews are out, POS 3.0 DI V6. Fix the two problems of the 1st gen, but ruin the reason why the 1st gen won C&D best luxury SUV for 3 years in a row and came in second in a comparison in 2007 only beaten by the MDX.

giggity
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-01-08, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-01-08, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Quagmire
meh

2010-01-10, 13:02

GM finally released a picture of the interior of the CTS-V Coupe.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-10, 13:28

Quag, do you know what the V (in CTS-V, &c.) stands for?

I know there isn't an actual "V Division" within GM, like M-Technik or AMG. It's just a performance sub-brand, like the Lexus F-marque. But I was still wondering if it had any meaning, or if it was just chosen because it sounded/looked edgy and suggested performance.

If not, I'm nominating Viggen. *tear*

Quagmire
meh

2010-01-10, 13:58

V doesn't mean a thing.