User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Wolves (and their impact on mob spawn rates)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Wolves (and their impact on mob spawn rates)
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-31, 15:19

So, everyone will be wandering around with a huge wolfpack from now on?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-03-31, 15:27

We'll need to see how wolves hamper the server.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-03-31, 15:48

Why would they hamper the server?

They are just mobs with different behavior.
¡Damned!

2011-03-31, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
So, everyone will be wandering around with a huge wolfpack from now on?
Doubtful. Dogs are a huge responsibility and I'm not sure that I want them following me into danger. What if they die? That would utterly suck and I don't want to even think about it.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-03-31, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
We'll need to see how wolves hamper the server.
Probably as much as bears is my guess.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-31, 19:02

Woo, got me a couple of tamed wolves! Kraetos and I found them up near his castle, which is in a forest biome. Only two of the four I tamed actually made it home with me, alas (damn creepers!).

Apparently, once you tame them, they're as effectively attached to you as if they were physically tied to you by a bungie cord; get far enough away from them, and they'll eventually snap directly to your position regardless of any obstacles in their way. This also applies to warping; they'll show up right alongside you.

One odd behavior I've noticed is that they absolutely refuse to walk through a doorway, even if the door is open. Not sure if that was intentional or not.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-31, 19:52

Sit, Ubu, sit! Good wolf.

bobsky and I found a couple spawn in Bridgeport of all places. I suppose that's not too unexpected since the area used to be a forest.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-31, 19:57

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww*explodes into confetti*
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-08, 01:22

Ok: After everyone logged off I tested our working hypothesis that mob spawns (at the very least passive mob spawns) are being adversely affected by the large number of tamed wolves on the map.

Unfortunately it was absolutely clear that this was true. At the passive mob trap, if I could *see* (on far) Thunderpoit's sphere and his (and presumably just beyond) SpecMode's wolves, the trap was completely inactive. Moving south away from those locations only resulted in the trap becoming active when I couldn't *see* the sphere [this was repeated both at night and day]. It seems like if the wolves are in visualized (as opposed to and including active) chunks, they count towards the total number of passive mobs. This is one of the reasons why passive mobs seem much more rare when areas with large numbers of tame wolves are theoretically able to be *seen*.

Brad and I discussed making a cap of 2 wolves/player; as this will provide the benefits of having wolves (which are???) and reduce the detriment on other players, so please would you cull your wolf herds?

This may just be a temporary bug (like the constant whimpering) or something that we are stuck with.

Also note: from what I read, the migration to the new operating system *may* result in the wolf herds disappearing... it wasn't me

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-04-08 at 01:33.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-08, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I'm likely going to be sparse for a couple of days. Have a conference at which I'm speaking later today
Well aren't we important.

Knock 'em dead at the conference, and enjoy the wedding, but when you get back I will be expecting serious progress on the gay bar. I wasn't kidding about that secret passage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
This may just be a temporary bug (like the constant whimpering) or something that we are stuck with.
Do you think Notch even knows about this bug? It seems sort of obscure, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-08, 02:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Do you think Notch even knows about this bug? It seems sort of obscure, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.
I see at least three threads relating to the lack of spawns when large tamed wolf packs are present on the minecraft forums.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-08, 02:40

Yeah, well, forums are for losers.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-10, 00:29

Hey all: we have passive spawns again! Culling the wolf population did it.

Still intermittent hostile spawns. Mostly not enough...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-10, 20:05

Yep, I killed mine off and don't like that I had to. We do have three on our property though. So they aren't all gone, two for Mrs T and one for me.

On the bright side, I am seeing more passives on my lawn again now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-10, 21:53

Another reason to not have wolves.

I adopted one for my BP home and sat it on the bed. The server restarted and it reset to follow and warped to me outside.

Unfortunately when it did so it when through a fireplace, catching fire, and then caught the interior wood wall on fire.

Unfortunately by the time went inside to get supplies the fire was too big to contain. Entire interior was gutted and needs to be replaced.

From now on I'm killing any dog I come across.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-10, 22:00

Best. Story. Ever.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-04-10, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Another reason to not have wolves.

I adopted one for my BP home and sat it on the bed. The server restarted and it reset to follow and warped to me outside.

Unfortunately when it did so it when through a fireplace, catching fire, and then caught the interior wood wall on fire.

Unfortunately by the time went inside to get supplies the fire was too big to contain. Entire interior was gutted and needs to be replaced.

From now on I'm killing any dog I come across.
That's hilarious. I mean, since it didn't happen to me.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-13, 07:46

Well three days and horrible hotel Internet later, I am back to where I was prior to the fire. Some landscaping to do and some interior elements as well, but Sod Haus (working name) is complete.

Some more work to do to flesh out AN L'Anse aux Meadows, Dragonship is still in the design phase.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.