Small scale solar and batteries

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Small scale solar and batteries
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-12-05, 10:50

Yes I’ve been looking at one of those. They are about $80 here for the 2 amp version, which is likely what I will get.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-31, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Quick side trip, if it doesn't intrude too much.

This week I realized that I could bring power to my garden shed using solar or wind. It's a tiny 1960s style corrugated aluminum skin affair, about a 6' by 9' footprint.

I do not anticipate using it extensively, so this will be an occasional use deal.

It's wired, but a line was never run out to it. There are pigtails hanging out of a pipe at the front top of the shed, intended to receive a line in, I believe.

As far as use goes, I'm thinking an internal LED work light for evenings. Perhaps several restaurant style string lights to run outside to illuminate a little seating area outside that I just thought up. I am winging it here.

So am I talking about a small marine battery of some sort, with a solar capture panel? What kind? Some kind of portable rechargeable Lithium Ion battery that I bring over from the house? A simple drop cord from the house?

I can't imagine the level of planning you're doing to run an entire home from this technology.
If all you want is some lighting then a simple kit would likely be more than fine. Like one linked to by Eco-Worthy above would do what you're after. The real question would be how many lights and for how long would you want to run them? A kit like that one (I'm not endorsing them at all and happen to like the Renogy brand better) would give you the solar panels for collections and conversion, the controller to charge the batteries and the inverter to power circuits that use 120VAC. If you go that route, I would recommend you use as many 12VDC lights as possible because it would be more efficient in the end and consume lesss power to light the shed and sitting area.

You could run an extension cord out to your shed and not worry about it, until you run it over with the mower. Of course, burring a dedicate line from the main breaker panel to the shed would be better.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-07-14, 09:10

I have a greenhouse going up shortly and we want lighting in it without having to run a circuit from the house to it. So solar is my go to!

This is two 50W Renogy panels, 10A Renogy Wanderer and one 12VDC 12Ah LiFePO4 battery. I also have a 12VDC -> 5VDC buck converter. This will allow me to power auto accessories and normal USB powered circuits. So lighting will be LED 12VDC with other options.

I need to get the greenhouse built so I can get these up and the system built, but I'm "bench testing" it now and it is working perfectly. When/if I ever get the gazebo I started this thread with I'll look at building something similar for it. I've even thought of the roof for the gazebo being nothing but panels.

Heck, now when I drive by people's houses and see carports and things like that I see space for solar panels!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.