AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Most creative thing you've done on a Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Most creative thing you've done on a Mac
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
liam

Send a message via AIM to liam  
2005-06-09, 11:57

I've been saving for a while and just got a power mac g5. Lovely. Before I got it I had all these ideas of things I would do. Now I feel like I have a version of writer's block: email, browsing, wp, a bit of applescript but the thought of using it for anything else suddenly seems oddly daunting. Anybody fancy giving me some inspiration? I'd love to see what other mac users have got up to using their machines.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-09, 12:14

Man... I don't know where to begin!

From the 3D renderings and animations to lots of photo repair/retouching to video editing to DSP/audio editing to DVD mastering to drawing illustrations to writing a short book to writing web pages to writing web programs to writing stand-alone programs...

It's hard to identify a "most creative" thing.

edit: actually, I think this is an AppleNova favorite, something I tossed together in a couple of hours, inspired by an actual post by pscates2.0.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-09, 12:28

That little guy just needs to be the official site mascot...

Everytime I think I've seen the last of him, he pops up again in a thread, while I'm simultaneously proud/embarrassed for having had a hand in his creation.

liam

2005-06-09, 12:30

clever sod(s)

Last edited by liam : 2005-06-09 at 12:59.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-06-09, 13:01

Everytime I watch that, it's the spinning blue Apple logos that get me. so outrageous. lol
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-06-09, 18:51

I've made a movie for my school's Robotics team. I also made a longer, more random (although not as much as Brad's video) version, although that seems to on the password-protected portion of the site.
EmC

2005-06-09, 21:06

I did a video project for school, but like Brad said, I think most people who do creative stuff on thier Mac do a lot of creative things.

Movie

On a side note I am very impressed with H.264, last semester when I compressed this to put on my teching portfolio I could only get this quality with a file twice the size. This was encoded with the default settings and the quality on "least."

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2005-06-09, 22:28

im sorry but that dinasaur needs to be on the front page
liam

2005-06-10, 10:30

Thanks all.
Brad: Did you merge your film with some pre-existing footage?
Em-C: I hope this is taken as a compliment but your movie really reminded me of an old National Geographic film - I think it was the rousing orchestral music that did it. Did you use iMovie ?
Blue Rabbit - can't seem to open your link . Will keep trying

I'll drink to your leg
liam

2005-06-10, 10:37

Hey got it Bluerabbit. Great. Love the robots too, which goes right to EmC's point: creative people do creative things. Gotta get more creative - used to be, but long days at work beat that outta ya sometimes !!!

I'll drink to your leg

Last edited by liam : 2005-06-10 at 11:00.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-10, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam
Brad: Did you merge your film with some pre-existing footage?
Yeah, the opening is a conglomeration of glamour shots from the iMac G5's debut. The two explosions are from stock Artbeats footage. The dino dance was done in Cinema 4D. Everything was wrapped together with the text in Final Cut Pro (sans LiveType).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-10, 10:53

Well, I use my computer to write music. I'm a composer by trade, so that makes sense. I don't know if it was my 'most creative thing', but certainly my largest recent project was an opera for my master's thesis. In some respects, the race to finish it and graduate may have made it one of the *least* creative things I've done.

So there you go. Quit slacking and write that opera!

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Wrao
Yarp

2005-06-10, 11:30

Well, I use my powerbook to make music. Lots and lots of music...

But, I think the most creative thing I've done was using graphic converter to play 'battleship' with my friend and his powerbook.

Last edited by Wrao : 2005-06-10 at 11:44.
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2005-06-10, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
I've made a movie for my school's Robotics team. I also made a longer, more random (although not as much as Brad's video) version, although that seems to on the password-protected portion of the site.
Gotta love FIRST... very fun competition this year, my senior year...
liam

2005-06-10, 12:42

Wrao - I've had a listen to a bit of your stuff - great !!! I am off to download the rest now. You'll have to put up with Jaco Pastouris, Stu Hamm, Billy Sheehan, Les Claypool and John Patituccini for company in my iTunes playlist; hope that's not too bad for you. Nice ref to Jaco in your album btw !!!

I'll drink to your leg
Voxapps

Send a message via AIM to Voxapps  
2005-06-10, 13:29

OK, this isn't creative in the graphic arts sense (I don't even pretend to have graphic arts or musical talent), but I won this competition by submitting a 20-page entry consisting of a white paper, graphics, and screen shots created on my iMac G5. I used Photoshop to stitch together shots of screens that extended vertically several screen-lengths. The 20-inch iMac display allowed me to use my word processor while viewing the relevant Web page side-by-side. (I did this as a consultant for one of the companies in the Open division - the one that is a sponsor of Danica Patrick's racing car.)

But the creative effort I'm most proud of was a mother's day iMovie slide show I put together for my wife: 6 minutes of scanned photos (pre-digital camera) of our kids set to Eva Cassidy's "What a Wonderful World." All done on a Bondi iMac 233 with a whopping 6 megs of video RAM. Painfully slow to create and render, but the little iMac worked without a hiccup. (You folks who are worried about your new Macs becoming "obsolete" in the next two years should be ashamed!)

You can never justify the cost of building a bridge by counting the number of people swimming across the river.
Amadeus

2005-06-10, 20:07

I created a data base for a Seminary that I volunteered for using FileMaker Pro.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-06-10, 20:15

I feel the same way since I got my iBook last January.

I've done some spiffy mock-ups, illustrations, doodles, etc. at school for art class, but I'm afraid to open Photoshop, for what shall I create with it?

You ask me for a hamburger.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-06-10, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
but I'm afraid to open Photoshop, for what shall I create with it?

Simple.

Choose AN member you like the most, or hate the most
Find picture of said member
Choose animal, vegetable or mineral
Paste picture of said member's head ontop of aforementioned animal, vegetable or mineral
Upload image to www.imageshack.us or www.photobucket.com
post on AN
Wrao
Yarp

2005-06-10, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam
Wrao - I've had a listen to a bit of your stuff - great !!! I am off to download the rest now. You'll have to put up with Jaco Pastouris, Stu Hamm, Billy Sheehan, Les Claypool and John Patituccini for company in my iTunes playlist; hope that's not too bad for you. Nice ref to Jaco in your album btw !!!
Sweet, thanks for listening.
Grip

2005-06-10, 20:46

Awesome.

Although that was the most clothes I've seen on a naked dancing dinosaur with or without a bazooka.
pmazer

2005-06-10, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Simple.

Choose AN member you like the most, or hate the most
Find picture of said member
Choose animal, vegetable or mineral
Paste picture of said member's head ontop of aforementioned animal, vegetable or mineral
Upload image to www.imageshack.us or www.photobucket.com
post on AN
You mean like this?

Yeah, the quality is lousy because I was going from the small picture on your profile.

Nice music by the way
Wrao
Yarp

2005-06-10, 21:01

That's the spirit!
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-06-10, 21:48

Oh, good idea.

'Scates, you are now my guinea pigs.

Now who to do next...
pmazer

2005-06-10, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
'Scates, you are now my guinea pigs.
You do realize that's a picture of Mariska Hargitay, right?

http://www.nbc.com/Law_&_Order:_Spec..._Hargitay.html
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-06-11, 08:22

My bad... I thought that was Pscates.

Well, then Mariska Hargitay is now my guinea pigs.
EmC

2005-06-11, 11:08

pscates would never post again if he woke one day and looked like her. He would probably put mirrors above his bed and never leave the house again.
Kyros

2005-06-11, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Man... I don't know where to begin!

From the 3D renderings and animations to lots of photo repair/retouching to video editing to DSP/audio editing to DVD mastering to drawing illustrations to writing a short book to writing web pages to writing web programs to writing stand-alone programs...

It's hard to identify a "most creative" thing.

edit: actually, I think this is an AppleNova favorite, something I tossed together in a couple of hours, inspired by an actual post by pscates2.0.
Black Mages ! For a second there I thought iTunes hadn't paused like I told it to.
lozza

2005-06-13, 10:24

Most recently a design for a vehicle wrap:

liam

2005-06-13, 12:17

I wouldn't mind something like that on my mini - top work lozza