AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Recover Excel Data.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Recover Excel Data.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-10, 11:39

Is there a way to recover the data from MS Excel. The data has been deleted, but not the file itself. I thought of autosave, but I dont think that is going to work in this case. Is the data stored in a location, in the same way as recycle bin, or in any form, after deletion. Its quite important we get this data back.

(By the way, I didnt do it, it was a friend!)
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-10, 17:11

At that point, do not save or write anything on the hard drive.

When you delete a file, only the pointer(header? address? what is the correct term?) containing the physical location is deleted. So it's somewhere on the hard drive, just not accessible.

You'd need a software that does "Un-Delete" to do that. I don't know if there's any free software or if they're worth it, though.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-10, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
When you delete a file, only the pointer(header? address? what is the correct term?)
It depends on the file system, actually. They use different terms at times. One common one on Unix-esque systems is "inode", for "indexed node". Another is just "directory entry".

HFS+ calls it a "catalog node ID", ("CNID"), or specifically just a "file ID" or "folder ID".
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-10-10, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
When you delete a file, only the pointer(header? address? what is the correct term?) containing the physical location is deleted. So it's somewhere on the hard drive, just not accessible.
*ahem*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Is there a way to recover the data from MS Excel. The data has been deleted, but not the file itself.
For what it's worth, Microsoft Word saves files with lots of redundancy in them and .doc files often do contain old data that you thought you deleted. You can retrieve some old data by pulling strings from the file. I don't believe Excel, on the other hand, keeps around old data the same way. In some brief testing, I was unable to retrieve strings from an .xls file after I saved, deleted some content, and saved over it again.

So, you (or your friend) may just be SOL.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-10, 17:23

*shrinking in a corner*
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-10, 17:32

Its Ok, it wasnt a huge amount, just about 110 rows, which we have managed to rewrite out. So no biggie, just a bit of a dopey friend!

Cheers.