Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPod Event 5th September?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod Event 5th September?
Page 1 of 16 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
chris e boy

2007-08-24, 10:17

Ars Technica (gotta love that name. Ars!) is reporting that Apple are organising a major iPod event in early September, specifically the 5th of September.

Whilst im all in favour of getting a new iPod (touch screen! coverflow!) doesn't this sound a little sceptical? I mean for starters its a Wednesday not the usual Tuesday release schedule and secondly it's only 2 and a half weeks before the Apple Expo Paris (where products have been announced in the past).

What do the rest of you guys think? Are Ars (ha!) Technica's sources ever reliable? I can't say I recall them spreading a rumour before.

Last edited by chris e boy : 2007-08-24 at 10:19. Reason: oops! forgot the link

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-08-24, 10:19

Remember, remember, the 5th of September?

neiltc13

2007-08-24, 10:23

I hope they do announce something then as I'll be in New York and will be able to go and check them out. Normally I'm a few hundred miles from an Apple Store.

chris e boy

2007-08-24, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Remember, remember, the 5th of September?
Im pretty sure thats November

This date would be fantastic for me, im off to Cyprus for a wedding on the 16th and it would be nice to have a new iPod ready for that.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-08-24, 10:31

Oh, I know it's Nov, I'm just being a cheeky monkey.

rasmits
rams it

2007-08-24, 10:31

Ugh, I hope they wait and announce them at Apple Expo. I want to see a Stevenote!!! Live!!

Anthem

2007-08-24, 12:50

Well, I'll be waiting until last minute to buy my new iMac.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-24, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Ditto.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-08-24, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
They can end the promo early, you know...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-24, 21:02

Any chance at all this event might also see the introduction of that smaller MacBook we've been hearing about forever? It would be like Apple, after all, to wait until school starts everywhere before unveiling it (weinees!)...

Could it be a little half 'n' half: some new iPods/iTune action for the first part, and then a cool "one more thing" to wrap it up?

"As you know, our notebook sales are phenomenal; but we think we can even take it higher..."

Just curious (have you noticed that I pretty much ask the above for every special event or Stevenote over the past 4-6 months...I guess I'm wanting to see this damn thing, if it even exists).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-08-24 at 21:17.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-24, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
They can end the promo early, you know...
I don't think they would. If anything, they'd just include the older iPods for a few weeks, like they did with the iPod mini when the iPod nano was introduced.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

mooty

2007-08-25, 03:20

Why do people always speculate if apple will release "X" product at a rumored event which has been earmarked for "Y" product? Recent history of keynotes shows Apple focussing on a type of product for these smaller announcements, ie iPod related stuff only, or Mac only etc... They don't mix the two up anymore

chris e boy

2007-08-25, 06:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Any chance at all this event might also see the introduction of that smaller MacBook we've been hearing about forever? It would be like Apple, after all, to wait until school starts everywhere before unveiling it (weinees!)...

Could it be a little half 'n' half: some new iPods/iTune action for the first part, and then a cool "one more thing" to wrap it up?

"As you know, our notebook sales are phenomenal; but we think we can even take it higher..."

Just curious (have you noticed that I pretty much ask the above for every special event or Stevenote over the past 4-6 months...I guess I'm wanting to see this damn thing, if it even exists).

Doesn't sound likely, but remember that the Apple Expo is 2 weeks after so we might see a release there (if it exists)

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-08-25, 06:21

Frankly, I'd welcome a new MacBook Pro design.
Starting to get long in the tooth (whatever that expression means).

If you look at some of the PC laptop offerings these days, you'll see how Apple has fallen behind. Not so much in overall design aesthetics, but use of materials such as carbon fibre, magnesium and other surfaces. Some of HP's glossy black shells are quite nice.However they all lack that clean Apple design touch.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-25, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
Why do people always speculate if apple will release "X" product at a rumored event which has been earmarked for "Y" product? Recent history of keynotes shows Apple focussing on a type of product for these smaller announcements, ie iPod related stuff only, or Mac only etc... They don't mix the two up anymore
Because I'm an optimist. Shut up.

Dave Hagan

2007-08-25, 14:55

IIRC, Apple used the 2005 Apple event not only to announce new iPods capable of playing video, but also a thinner, trimmer iMac G5 with an iSight in it with Front Row and Photo Booth. I remember this because I ordered one of those iMacs and it came around Halloween. Spooky. Peter's dreams can come. It is possible to have both new iPods and new Macs at one special event. So why not the "MacBook Thin" too? If it's rumored to be using flash memory, like the iPods, then it would be a great segue and might be another one of those "One more things..."

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-25, 15:04

Exactly.

Lots of events include more than just a single product or announcement. Seems silly to book the time and space and just say "new iPods...that's it. Okay, bye!"

Sure, the chances of a new notebook are slim, but you never can tell. And even if one doesn't appear, nowhere does it say that this September 5 event is "all iPod". It could have some iTunes or tv-related news.

In fact, I can't recall a single Apple media event that was about one product only. That never happens.

Eugene
careful with axes

2007-08-25, 15:38

Two announcements then...

"New iPods...and FUCK UNIVERSAL...that's it. Okay, bye!"

rasmits
rams it

2007-08-25, 18:29

Quote:
And even if one doesn't appear, nowhere does it say that this September 5 event is "all iPod". It could have some iTunes or tv-related news.
In fact, no where does it officially say there's even to be a special event at all!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-25, 19:24

Well, yeah...so that just makes my post even double meaningful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Two announcements then...

"New iPods...and FUCK UNIVERSAL...that's it. Okay, bye!"
Who are some Universal artists? Who would iTunes lose if Apple and Universal parted ways? Anybody good, or are they a heavy hip-hop/pop label? Because if we're going to lose access to Ashlee Simpson and P. Diddy Daddy Puffenstuff (or whatever he's calling himself this week), then I officially don't really give a shit.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-08-25, 19:35

Quote:
Who are some Universal artists? Who would iTunes lose if Apple and Universal parted ways? Anybody good, or are they a heavy hip-hop/pop label? Because if we're going to lose access to Ashlee Simpson and P. Diddy Daddy Puffenstuff (or whatever he's calling himself this week), then I officially don't really give a shit.
http://amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_496...1&pf_rd_i=5174

Not a comprehensive listing, but that should give you some idea of who's on Universal.

joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-08-25, 21:48

Here's a... er... more complete listing of some of Universal's big acts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia... who else?
UMG's record labels have many of the world's biggest artists [1] including Wisin & Yandel, Latin Fresh, Rammstein, The Killers, Don Omar, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Elton John, Method Man, Tupac Shakur, Luny Tunes, Jay-Z, Mariah Carey, t.A.T.u., Eminem, Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, G-Unit, Diana Ross, Hector El Father, Luciano Pavarotti, U2, blink-182, Kanye West, Rihanna, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Black Eyed Peas, Nelly Furtado, Notch, Nelly and Gwen Stefani.
Interestingly U2 is in there...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-25, 21:53

I don't like anyone in that list. I guess U2 might be the closest to an act that doesn't make me want to hurl, but I'm not even that taken with them (I know, blasphemy...).

mooty

2007-08-26, 03:45

I wasn't saying one product (I said "iPod related"), but one "market".. ie we'll likely see update to iTunes, iPod and perhaps Apple TV in the event... We won't see a sniff of a mac. All their recent small events have been focussed like this

Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-08-27, 06:12

I'm secretly hoping a little bit for this ultra sleek 13" high end laptop you sometimes read about...

But I agree that something iTunes related seems more likely, just in order to vary the media focus (imagine the luxury for Apple, after 20+ years).

wecallitfall

2007-08-27, 07:54

come on new iPods, my 4G died on me on holiday last week so this would be perfect timing

oh and UK/EU movies and TV shows would be nice too

Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2007-08-27, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecallitfall View Post
come on new iPods, my 4G died on me on holiday last week so this would be perfect timing

You too??!! I wasnt on Holiday, but mine died last week as well. Heard the rumors from a friend a few minutes ago. Came in here to see the speculation.

I'd like to get something this week, maybe I'll hold out.....

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.

mooty

2007-08-27, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecallitfall View Post
yeah - bring on UK movies - and in HD

Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2007-08-28, 13:08

While at the genius bar today to have my iPod looked at, I asked if the rumors were true about new iPods soon. Guy gave the stock, "I'll know when you know" type of answer. I laughed and turned to leave without further comment when he said, "but if I was a betting man, I'd hold out for a couple of weeks before buying anything".

FWIW!

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.

homeboy87

2007-08-28, 14:28

One only needs to check iPod inventory online. Many major stores worldwide have discontinued the 80GB models. Barely any store have 30GB iPods or even 4GB nanos. Lastly some site have even stopped selling the big iPod and the Nano online.

No store is allowed to order new iPods. By the end of this week it will be impossible to get a hold of an iPod. It have never been like this. It seem like Apple is letting inventories dry out completely for a MAJOR iPod revamp.

Looking at the situation new iPods can't be launched no later than next week.