Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What type of Spider is this?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What type of Spider is this?
Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-09, 15:27

Saw this guy outside my house today. Blurry Picture is the best my little digital camera can achieve.

My preliminary research tells me it might be a Wasp Spider However, despite what the picture will suggest, the stripes are actually GREEN, not yellow.

Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-09, 15:31

Whoa... didn't think the picture would be that big... um... Well...

doing some more research, it seems likely it is a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argiope_aurantia
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-09-09, 15:33

Orb spider?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2

Lots of different variants though.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-09-09, 15:38

This has got to be some kind of record.. how many spider identification / bite threads do we have now over the last couple years? Speaking of spiders I took a shot the other day of this tiny, tiny spider that actually created a very intricate web between a few blades of grass. Even on a cropped 60mm macro about 2" away the spider is still small compared to the web, orange body little white spots on it. The whole thing was smaller than the diameter of an eraser head. Pretty cool. The wierd thing is, it takes its web down once the sun gets high enough in the sky. I checked and it was gone like a couple hours later, unless a bird trampled it or something (unlikely).

...into the light of a dark black night.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 15:48

Yeah, doing my research from the spider thread I started a few weeks ago, I came across that spider. Pretty sure it's a harmless garden spider.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-09, 15:51

Yeah, it is, I was just curious more specifically what it was. I've never seen one like this before.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-09-09, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
This has got to be some kind of record.. how many spider identification / bite threads do we have now over the last couple years?
I'm beginning to think that people are fucking with me.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-09, 15:59

I think we could rename Applenova into SpiderNova and just focus our time on identifying common spiders to clueless internet folk.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 16:01

SpiderNova, SpiderNova, does whatever a SpiderNova does.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-09-09, 17:03

Spiderman could be our mascot!

Of course, we'd need to clear it with Stan Lee for merchandising rights...

Perhaps a halloween theme!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-09-09, 17:06

Spidernova... it's venemously good.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-09-09, 17:24

The web that Jack spun.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-09-10, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Perhaps a halloween theme!
Brad's done that more than once, IIRC. I really like it, but some of the arachnophobes freak out.
mattf

2008-09-10, 04:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Brad's done that more than once, IIRC. I really like it, but some of the arachnophobes perfectly rational people with a perfectly rational dislike of spiders freak out have a perfectly rational reaction to the inappropriate display of arachnids.
T,FTFY

Fucking freaky spiders. Bastards are out to get me. Every last, sodding one of them.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-09-10, 05:57

Can any one tell me what this one is? He sits outside my house and prevents me from getting inside unless I have my special glowy water, he seems to dislike it. Could only get one shot seeing as he knocked the camera out of my hands and I had to scurry after it to save the memory card.

Any help would be appreciated.

And All That Could Have Been
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2008-09-10, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
This has got to be some kind of record.. how many spider identification / bite threads do we have now over the last couple years?
Spider IDs and "what song/artist is this?" are among my top favorite thread subjects. Just can't go past them. Love the challenge, especially getting in quick enough before some other bastard IDs it.

We could just go a separate Spider ID forum.

I killed a white tail that was crawling up the wall beside my bed last week. I know it's bad karma but they're one of the ones that make your flesh rot away when they bite you. Fuck that for a joke. Here's a live one. A pic of the dead one still squished against my bedroom wall really wouldn't do it justice.

Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-10, 15:33

Gah. You know, my creeped-out-from-spiders quotient has oscillated over the years. From deathly-afraid to 'what? it's just a huntsman spider on my hand, no big deal"

But... after looking up the white tail, as well as the wolf spider, and a couple other nasties. I can conclusively say. Yuck and yeesh.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-09-10, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

I killed a white tail that was crawling up the wall beside my bed last week. I know it's bad karma but they're one of the ones that make your flesh rot away when they bite you. Fuck that for a joke. Here's a live one. A pic of the dead one still squished against my bedroom wall really wouldn't do it justice.
According to Wikipedia, they don't cause necrotic lesions. That's what you mean, right?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-09-10, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Gah. You know, my creeped-out-from-spiders quotient has oscillated over the years. From deathly-afraid to 'what? it's just a huntsman spider on my hand, no big deal"

But... after looking up the white tail, as well as the wolf spider, and a couple other nasties. I can conclusively say. Yuck and yeesh.
I think the hobo spider is more dangerous than the wolf spider.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-09-10, 15:54

To refresh everyone's memory of my spider the Kukulcania female spider (it's still on my window several weeks later):

Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-10, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I think the hobo spider is more dangerous than the wolf spider.
It's not about level of danger inherent in any given spider. A number of spiders won't kill you, won't really hurt you even, and even the ones that can, generally won't. It's more to do with overall disgusting qualities. Wolf spiders are creepy looking. Far more so than a number of other spiders.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2008-09-10, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude
According to Wikipedia, they don't cause necrotic lesions. That's what you mean, right?
Oops! Meant to put in the Wiki link to credit the photo. I admit I didn't read the article but yeah necrotic lesions is the technical term and I have heard that it's now in dispute that white tail bites cause them, although I thought the jury was still out. They didn't think they were harmful at all until a few years ago.

OTOH I've seen someone with a big hole in their arm who claimed to have been bitten by one. Regrettably, I am not inspired to conduct any amateur medical research by letting one sink its fangs into me.

(BTW what's with the ginormous pics people?)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-12-20, 08:40

New spider found in Laos:

Up to 12" across. As my wife put it, "That's not a spider, that's a lobster."
¡Damned!

2008-12-20, 11:12

Big enough to steal somebody's Jiffy Pop, apparently.

**shudder**
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-12-20, 11:33

Strange, but I just had a nightmare last night about being chased by giant spiders.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-12-20, 22:19

Reason #412 never to step foot onto Laos. That is possibly the most sinister looking spider of all times. I just bet too that if it bites you on the hand, your arm falls off within 24 hours, Monty Python style. Looks hella-poisonous. Got that "I'm toxic, mutherfuckah; east asian siii-eee-d BITCH!" color vibe going on. I've heard stories from people who served in Viet Nam that they had some sort of gigantic bird-eating species whose webs were so nasty that small animals couldn't get out of them once trapped. *shudder*

Those damn wolf spiders and recluse spiders we have here are bad enough. I don't need to go somewhere where the spiders are big enough to eat birds and small mammals. This looks like exactly that kind of spider.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2009-09-14, 11:15

two spiders i saw this week...need help identifying them...

this one makes a HUGE beautiful web...very neat and a good 2 to 3 feet around (the web...the spider about 2 inches)...

the web seen in the photo (taken with my iPhone!!) is messy under it as this is the spiders home/hiding spot...the actually web is just perfect

this other one is smaller, maybe a bit over 1/2 an inch...but it kinda freaked me out...not really but i turned over a rock and there it was surrounded by dead snails...no web, a ground spider...hard to get a good photo as it didn't like being in the open...and it had these huge front jaws that i couldn't quite show in the photo...the dead snails likely aren't the spiders diet, but this spider, with it's pale tan belly was just "disquieting" to me for some reason...

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-09-14, 13:12

At first looking at the top one I thought it was the front of the spider... looks like a monkey! Then I realized, no... there's no such thing as a cute monkey spider. Only an evil, sinister spider with an ass that looks like a monkey.

Iago

2009-09-14, 13:17

NSFW:
Off-topic (click to toggle):

I'm doing it wrong.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2009-09-14, 17:28

mmmm, the top one is a Cat-Faced Spider...an orb weaver...

seems they come out in sept in new mexico....
a similar one at bug-guide.

i think the bottom one is a pill bug spider...would make sense with living in the dirt and having huge front jaws...will look some more...

g

yep...sow bug spider...they have a better photo of the creepy big jaws...

here

Spoiler (click to toggle):

Spoiler (click to toggle):

poor little pill bugs...

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough