Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Office.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Office.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-01-09, 03:16

I just wanted to let everone know that The Office is the funniest television show in the history of the world. It has renedered eveything else remarkably unfunny.

Rent the DVDs. Die laughing. Do it now.

Are all British sitcoms this funny? I can't imagine that's the case.

Though I slightly disturbed by the news that some American network is coming out with a Yankeefied version of the show. Is that necessary? Will most Americans not find Garreth Kennan funny in his present state?
Wrao
Yarp

2005-01-09, 03:20

is it a black man's cock?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-01-09, 03:24

Whenever I think about this show at work I just start giggling to myself. I was at a meeting on Friday and someone asked if I had anything to add and I almost said, "I wonder if a boy will ever be born that can swin faster than a shark."

Best dance ever= http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffic...t/dancer.shtml
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-01-09, 10:28

not only is it funny, but the special, was funny and very touching, dawn (who i adore) and tim's final scene (i won't give it away) was very emotional. might be the best thing i've seen on tv in ages.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-03-25, 01:00

Americanized version was on NBC tonight. Steve Carrel played the boss. It was awkward...and kind of sad. Like having to listen to your friend recite poetry about his dead grandmother or something. Carrel was alright but after seeing Ricky Gervais as the boss it's just impossible to top that. Too bad.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-25, 01:22

I don't know, I thought that the original characters wouldn't have translated well to US tv... too British.

It's like the new Dr. Who series - the US geeks are blasting it, while fans of the original series are touting how stellar it is, and true to the original.

Steve Carrell was, I thought, the *perfect* Americanized analogue to Gervais' version of the boss. Almost the same lines, different delivery, funny in an entirely different way. Gervais is pathetically desperate to be liked, while Carrell was just greasy and slick... but they both end up in the same basic form as the weasely boss that everyone's laughing at behind their back. Honestly, I love them both. I think that the US version could easily stand on its own and become a different beast, but one that *could* become as good as the original in its own way.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-03-25, 07:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
I just wanted to let everone know that The Office is the funniest television show in the history of the world.
Definitely. Funnier even than Monty Python.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-03-25, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
Are all British sitcoms this funny? I can't imagine that's the case.
Mot all, by all means, but Google for Black Books, Spaced and Father Ted and see if you like those. (Yes, technically, Father Ted is Irish.) I love them.

I find the problem with the Office is that I can only watch half an episode before being overcome with embarrassment for him. So I have to turn it off and come back a day later.
holbox

2005-03-25, 07:42

My Wife & I tuned into "The Office" last night hoping for a good new program.
After 19 minutes of sitting there we looked at each other and switched channels.
To us it was a dud!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-03-25, 07:56

Um, holbox? You were watching the AMERICANIZED version of the show. You saw it after The Apprentice, didn't you? BIG difference I'm thinkin'.......

Still, I did enjoy the American version quite a bit because it's mockumentary style. The Brit version must be KILLER.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-25, 08:22

I didn't think the NBC version last night was bad at all. Somewhat funny. Not great but not the worst.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-03-25, 08:44

Kickaha, I agree that Carrel was a great pick, the only other comedian I could see pulling of that kind of delivery is Will Farrel. They did pick a good actor to play the receptionist.

It definitely wasn't as horrible as I expected, I think my initial reaction was just how weirded out I was the fact that the script was nearly identical. Maybe it will improve once the start getting into their own stories. They do have a lot more time to fill, a British season is 6 episodes, American is somewhere around 22. At least Gervais and the other writer are very involved in this one.

I'll give it a chance if it lasts, though I doubt NBC will be patient enough to let a show like this find its audience.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-03-25, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
Mot all, by all means, but Google for Black Books, Spaced and Father Ted and see if you like those. (Yes, technically, Father Ted is Irish.) I love them.

I find the problem with the Office is that I can only watch half an episode before being overcome with embarrassment for him. So I have to turn it off and come back a day later.
They showed Black Books on CBC a few years ago, they pulled it after 4 episodes. I guess I was the only one watching. That's on my list of things to pirate once I get my broadband connection back.
autodata
hustlin

2005-03-25, 09:27

I didn't the the american version, but I can't imagine it comes close to comparing. Everything that was so great in the Ricky Gervais one was stuff that exists in real offices but it completely absent in US TV: ugly people, monotony, constant cringe-worthy awkward moments. I have great doubt that Steve Carell could pull off a David Brent-like character.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-03-25, 10:36

i havent seen the british version, but i saw the american one last night. it was hilarious. i gotta learn how to make jello before aprilone.
Mass Appeal

2005-03-25, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
I thought I as the only one who did that.

Some times it was just too realistic for me to enjoy. I was never able to watch all of the Christmas special because it kept reminding me of an office I used to work at. It gave me flashbacks of all the uncomfortable situations I witnessed or was involved in.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-25, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
I didn't the the american version, but I can't imagine it comes close to comparing. Everything that was so great in the Ricky Gervais one was stuff that exists in real offices but it completely absent in US TV: ugly people, monotony, constant cringe-worthy awkward moments. I have great doubt that Steve Carell could pull off a David Brent-like character.
Think again. Take the UK boss, and instead of making him this clueless, trying to please everyone spineless hack, make him a greasy used-car-salesman style clueless, trying to please everyone spineless hack. Much more American... but just as effective and hard to watch. He's like an 80's business graduate who never quite made it. The pace was a bit snappier(tm) which felt a bit odd, but it didn't feel rushed, again perhaps just more reflective of the bit more frantic pace for the American office-going viewers. And oh yeah, nobody's a particular looker.

I think it's a really good translation across the pond, to be honest. I still prefer the UK version, but this could grow into its own very quickly and establish its own voice.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-03-25, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
And oh yeah, nobody's a particular looker.
i wouldn't mind rogerign that secretary. tho, apparently, she used to look a lot better a few years ago.
autodata
hustlin

2005-03-25, 13:06

Well, now I'm going to have to check it out. Steve Carell is pretty funny. It's on NBC on Thursdays? I just looked up next thursday and the apprentice is in that time slot.
Bones3D

2005-03-25, 19:55

This was an awful show. The characters just weren't that funny and the overall "documentary" format completely alienates you from what's going on. The boss is a utter moron turn asshat to satisfy his ego, who has little better to do other than to harrass his secretary. Aside from the brief picture of a stapler embedded in a mound of jello (which was only funny the first time around), there was nothing redeeming about this show.

Don't get me wrong... I love office humor and found the movie "Office Space" to be hilarious. There have also been numerous TV shows over the years which have handled the topic far better, like "Just Shoot Me", "Working" and "Dilbert". "The Office" just doesn't compare and feels stale by comparison. It's all been done before, and in a far better manner than this.

If there was ever evidence that creativity in Hollywood is dead, it's this show.

8==8 Bones 8==8
holbox

2005-03-25, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Um, holbox? You were watching the AMERICANIZED version of the show. You saw it after The Apprentice, didn't you? BIG difference I'm thinkin'.......

Still, I did enjoy the American version quite a bit because it's mockumentary style. The Brit version must be KILLER.
Yes, I heard that the Brit show was very good. And yes, the one we saw was after The Apprentice.
Talked to two other couples today. They felt the same way we did. Big Dud!
Remember, though, we're retired and 70 and that may slant our take on it somewhat .........
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-03-26, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
Well, now I'm going to have to check it out. Steve Carell is pretty funny. It's on NBC on Thursdays? I just looked up next thursday and the apprentice is in that time slot.
It's being moved to Tuesdays I think, they just did the Apprentice to get a big audience for the premiere.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-03-26, 08:38

Septuagenarians? Awesome! Thank Goodness we finally have some senior voices in this forum - hope you post a lot!

There's probably an entire range of the Brit shows that are generational. I'm sure that most of the younger Britcom fans aren't too keen on the show 'As Time Goes By'. The mocumentary style is very, very relevant to Generation X and Y.

What's the Brit show about an office where it's a bank? That's not the Office is it?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
holbox

2005-03-26, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Septuagenarians? Awesome! Thank Goodness we finally have some senior voices in this forum - hope you post a lot!

There's probably an entire range of the Brit shows that are generational. I'm sure that most of the younger Britcom fans aren't too keen on the show 'As Time Goes By'. The mocumentary style is very, very relevant to Generation X and Y.

What's the Brit show about an office where it's a bank? That's not the Office is it?
Hey, wait just a minute........... I damn well didn't listen to any old "Sepuagenarians" when I was younger and I DEMAND the same non-respect from you guys!!!

By the way though, we love British comedy. "Faulty Towers", etc., etc., are priceless, timeless humor. We seek them out every Saturday night on our PBS station and find ourselves watching shows we've seen many times.

On the other hand, we have the full batch of "As Time Goes By" on DVD.
It is humor, but also really is a tender love story that I think reaches beyond generations.

We spend our summers in our Airstream, 3 yards from the edge of Lake of the Woods, in Canada. The only sounds in the remote spot we found is the loon cry at sunset. Drinking water comes from the lake at our feet and there is no TV reception.

So, some nights we fire up our DVD player and watch "As Time Goes By" and "The Winds of War" & "War and Rememberence".

The days are spent fishing for Northern Pike in the weedy bays, Walleye over the rocky ledges, and Smallmouth Bass below a waterfalls.

A summer of that is good for the soul!

Please keep paying that Social Security hit every paycheck. It's being put to good use ........
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-03-26, 10:30

I saw NBC's "The Office" and thought it was hilarious , but, I also think it will probably be canceled toothsweet. That seems to happen with shows that I think are great ("Freaks and Geeks" comes to mind). I have to say NBC is quite daring to schedule two sitcoms on the same night without laugh tracks ("Scrubs"). Also, I think the documentary style was only for the pilot. I don't think it will be like that every week. Anyway, the show reminded me somewhat of "Office Space", which is obviously one of the all-time funniest movies, period. My main complaint about the new show is Carell goes somewhat over the top. I think it would be wise for him to pull back a couple of notches.