AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

March Madness 2011

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
March Madness 2011
Page 4 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5  Next Thread Tools
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-03-20, 12:40

I was really looking forward to this UW/UNC game and it is living up to my expectations. A lot of future NBA talent on display.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2011-03-20, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
I got em going all the way to the final game and losing to Duke. With Pitt out, it looks like they might make it to the final four. They should be able to get past Florida who did "okay" beating a bad UCLA. And then either Wisconsin or Butler.... Jimmer is freeking on fire. I know most folks on this board are too old to remember, but he plays a little like old Pistol Pete Marovich (sp?). He can just about do it all with class! The problem BYU has though, is that everything is riding on this one guy. The other players are just pretty good... Find a way of stopping him, and you have BYU beat cold...

Go Mormons go!!!!
I wish I hadn't listened to all the talk that Davies suspension would do them in, BYU and SDSU were teams I enjoyed watching a lot this year and I have forsaken BYU in the tourney, consequently my southeast bracket is barren and I'm in last place.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-03-20, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I was really looking forward to this UW/UNC game and it is living up to my expectations. A lot of future NBA talent on display.
Great game. UW is a good team.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-03-20, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Yeah, the Big East record for NCAA upsets is not all that great the past few years. That doesn't really overcome the conference RPI rankings evidence that it's the toughest conference in CBB, though.

Maybe if their top two teams were served up with all their first-weekend games in their home states year after year, things would be a little bit different? Of course, the top two teams are different every year since they're not ridiculously top-heavy like the SEC and the ACC.
QFT, and saved from the last post syndrome.

Truth of the matter is that the Big East teams beat the snot out of each other during the regular season. It stands to reason that they may fail down the stretch in the high pressure environment of the tournament.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-03-20, 20:46

Wow, Marquette 3-ball down at ~26 seconds remaining was amazing. Even though it screws up my bracket I'm happy my Alma Mater moves on.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-20, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Yeah, the Big East record for NCAA upsets is not all that great the past few years. That doesn't really overcome the conference RPI rankings evidence that it's the toughest conference in CBB, though.

Maybe if their top two teams were served up with all their first-weekend games in their home states year after year, things would be a little bit different? Of course, the top two teams are different every year since they're not ridiculously top-heavy like the SEC and the ACC.
Oh, please. The ACC has won 5 of the last 10 titles. And it's not because Duke and UNC started their runs in state, either. These elite teams shouldn't lose in the first 2 rounds (of course, Duke had a recent tendency to do so). The Big East should not have gotten 11 teams into the tourney this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
QFT, and saved from the last post syndrome.

Truth of the matter is that the Big East teams beat the snot out of each other during the regular season. It stands to reason that they may fail down the stretch in the high pressure environment of the tournament.
That goes contrary to the belief that tough conferences breed strength in the NCAA. During the ACC's heyday, when UNC, Duke, Maryland, Wake, even FSU and Clemson, were good and we regularly got 6-7 teams in (back when the conference was 8 teams), our league always represented well.

What you have in the Big East is an incestuous RPI ranking because the league is overhyped, leading to inflated rankings, leading to higher than deserved RPI - as borne out by the shitty performance in the larger tournament. When they get out of the nasty, physical play of the league and have to play actual basketball, they fail. It's not because they beat up on each other.

edit: Go Marquette! I got the East all right. Everything else... well, let's just say I didn't do as well.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-03-20, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post

What you have in the Big East is an incestuous RPI ranking because the league is overhyped, leading to inflated rankings, leading to higher than deserved RPI - as borne out by the shitty performance in the larger tournament. When they get out of the nasty, physical play of the league and have to play actual basketball, they fail. It's not because they beat up on each other.
Is Pomeroy similarly incestuous? Here's the breakdown of teams in his top 50 by conference:

Big East 11
ACC 5
B12 5
B10 8
MWC 4
SEC 4
PAC10 2
WAC 1
A10 3
HORZ 1
ASUN 1
CAA 2
WCC 1
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-03-20, 21:57

Love the fact that Barkley is making fun of the Big East calling it the Little East and Pitino is getting upset trying to defend the undefendable.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-20, 22:01

Quote:
Is Pomeroy similarly incestuous? Here's the breakdown of teams in his top 50 by conference:

Big East 11
ACC 5
B12 5
B10 8
MWC 4
SEC 4
PAC10 2
WAC 1
A10 3
HORZ 1
ASUN 1
CAA 2
WCC 1
Dunno. If he has 11 of his top 50 from the Big East, something is wrong. The conference is on the verge of losing a 9th team by the second round. Lose a couple teams, it's the tourney. Lose 9 of them? That's something else.

JohnnyTheA

2011-03-20, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
I wish I hadn't listened to all the talk that Davies suspension would do them in, BYU and SDSU were teams I enjoyed watching a lot this year and I have forsaken BYU in the tourney, consequently my southeast bracket is barren and I'm in last place.
I am pretty close to last place, but my final four picks are all still possible. There is usually a lot of movement in the 3rd and 4th rounds for any challenge because of the weighting. I pretty much have to hit all four to have a chance. Oh, and Duke is looking like a bad choice. They squeaked past today, but they don't look anything like a team going to the final.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-03-20, 22:38

You're right, it's getting ridiculous. The logical side of my brain says that statistically, this kind of thing happens once in a while, but I'm not sure I'm even convincing myself at this point.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-03-20, 22:38

One thing to be said is that every year there is more and more parity.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-20, 22:58

One last post on this: The Big East started with 17% of the teams in the tourney. They've got 12.5% left. Contrast that with the ACC: 6% to start, now 18%.

JohnnyTheA

2011-03-20, 23:00

Quote:
One thing to be said is that every year there is more and more parity.
Parity between who? Between the non-power and power conferences? I agree. 5 of the sweet 16 are NOT from majors. Wondering if that is a record... The term "major" or "power" in college basketball doesn't mean that much anymore. Mountain West is certainly as strong or stronger than the Pac-10 and not just this year. I believe BYU is moving to the West Coast Conference that Gonzaga plays in. So that will weaken the BW and strengthen the WCC. I suppose this is part of a long term trend. Way back, there were only a few consistent power teams. That is probably why UCLA did so well in the 60s and 70s. Then the other big conference teams caught up and now the A10, Colonial, Horizon, etc... are playing some amazing ball.. The amount of money in TV contracts and the tourney itself is probably the reason why.
SKMDC

2011-03-21, 00:17

My wife is killing me, she has the ENTIRE left side of the field intact! no losses!

Jeez this pisses me off.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-03-21, 07:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
Parity between who? Between the non-power and power conferences? I agree.
Yeah, that's pretty much what parity means when people talk about it with respect to ncaabb.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-03-21, 09:13

Just realized that I have the West region perfect.

If North Carolina wins, I'm going to win.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-21, 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Just realized that I have the West region perfect.

If North Carolina wins, I'm going to win.
If North Carolina wins, you'll have deserved it. And I'll be a very happy camper. I don't think it's going to happen this year, maybe next if we get everyone back. Of course, the NBA continues to rob the NCAA of talent so I think we'll lose at least Henson and possibly Barnes. The sad thing is, neither of them are ready.

SKMDC

2011-03-21, 14:00

The city of Richmond has as many teams in the Sweet 16 as the Big East.
Huzzah!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-24, 20:23

UCONN is through. I have them in my Final 4, so that's a Big East team I actually respected. Jim Calhoun and Tom Izzo are 2 coaches I have a lot respect for.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-24, 22:41

Dook is getting schooled. I love it. (That Williams guy is scary good.)
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-24, 22:45

Ok. Someone objective tell me: did the refs just blow 3 straight calls resulting in 2 Duke trips to the line and a non call against Duke at around the 7 minute mark? Just after they showed Coach K lecturing the refs?

edit: make that 4 calls. What the hell? They called that a foul?

Every time down the floor, they'll call something ticky-tack against Arizona and let muggings go uncalled against Duke. I think that's 5 times down the floor now in a row did they call a foul against Arizona (leading up to the under 4 minute timeout). In that stretch, not a single call against Duke? I just can't believe that. Unreal.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-03-24, 23:06

And yet... Arizona cleaned their fucking *CLOCKS*.

Love.

It.

The Butler/Wisc game is damned nice to watch too.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-03-25, 08:22

Sean Miller and Brad Stevens just received a blank check if they want it from any college with a vacant position.

Derrick Williams also just made mad money last night with that game. In a perfect world, I'd like the Cavs to get Williams and Kanter in the lottery, but I think Kanter will be gone top 4. Alex Burks would also look nice in the wine and gold. Very underrated player.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-03-25, 23:03

UK/OSU game: wow. Nice.
¡Damned!

2011-03-26, 01:55

That's the end of me in my bracket.

Meh. I wasn't going to win anyways. Friggin' 1st place had me by 2 points and the same picks for the final 8 on up.

So it goes.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-03-26, 02:09

Fuck osu. Can't touch my cats. I bleed blue.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-03-26, 07:36

My bracket is all kinds of busted, but if UNC & Kansas meet in the title, I think I win.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-03-26, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
My bracket is all kinds of busted, but if UNC & Kansas meet in the title, I think I win.
Probably because I'm the only person close to you with UNC and KU in the final and I can't pass you.

What's the scoring system for this bracket? I can't seem to find the rule anywhere (I've always hated CBS Sports' site.)

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-03-26, 11:34

I forget. Pretty sure it's set as a standard system, but I'll look again when I'm back on my computer.

EDIT: Here are the scoring rules.

Last edited by kieran : 2011-03-26 at 13:39.