Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

current 23" Apple Display vs. prev. 23" Apple Display

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
current 23" Apple Display vs. prev. 23" Apple Display
malcolm

2005-02-27, 20:41

Hi there,
Can anyone tell how the current 23" Apple Display differs from the previous generation 23" Display?
I'm considering getting a new one... or buying a slightly used one from a friend... and would love to get some advice!
(by the way, when did the latest Displays get released?)
Thanks,
Malcolm
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-02-27, 20:47

They're pink!

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...highlight=pink

At least, it seems some of them appear to exhibit this defect. I'd stay away from them until it gets sorted out. Or get your friend's if it doesn't have this problem.

As far as the difference (besides the aluminum casing), the new panels have a faster pixel response, and have slightly better brightness/contrast ratios.

They got updated at WWDC 2004 (middle of last year).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-27, 20:51

The current 23" Cinema display has an aluminum casing, a DVI connector, and a Firewire and USB hub built in. It got a price drop just about a month ago, but the display itself was released last fall. The previous 23" Cinema display was released sometime in 2002 and had a plastic case and an ADC connector, and only USB ports (no Firewire). It received a price drop in early 2003, and stayed the same until the fall 2004 update.

I'd hesitate to buy a brand new one because there are lots of reports of the 23" Cinema display having a pink hue. Get one by a different company, get an older one, or just make sure you can check out the actual display you will be buying before actually buying it. Oh, and what will you be using it with? Because the older ADC one will only work on certain PowerMacs, otherwise it requires a $100 DVI to ADC adapter to use.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-27, 20:57

If you can find a previous generation model new, buy it. There are several new of the 20" variety still left at Smalldog, but then the new 20" really hasn't had many problems reported so that may be of limited use.

...into the light of a dark black night.
malcolm

2005-02-27, 21:02

thanks for all the replies everyone. I will check into this pink hue thing before committing to anything, and check out my friends - - I think it's only about six months old, so it must be one of the current crop of displays - he hasn't said anything about pinkness... is it obvious?
I'll check out the link one of you gave for more info. I just wanted to thank you for your responses first.
Malcolm
Quagmire
meh

2005-02-27, 21:09

It was 10.3.6 or 10.3.7 that fixed the pink hue. You will still need to calibrate I believe to get out the pink hue. I am not certain though. I say, go get the current generation.

giggity
holbox

2005-02-27, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
If you can find a previous generation model new, buy it. There are several new of the 20" variety still left at Smalldog, but then the new 20" really hasn't had many problems reported so that may be of limited use.

I just got (several weeks ago) the new 20" Apple. I love it! Bright, snappy and way bigger on my desk than it looked at the Apple Store.

You'd need a really good reason to spend almost twice the amount for a bigger screen. I'm glad I didn't!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-27, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
It was 10.3.6 or 10.3.7 that fixed the pink hue. You will still need to calibrate I believe to get out the pink hue. I am not certain though. I say, go get the current generation.
The pink hue is a hardware problem. It has nothing to do with the software. I've seen it myself and tried in vain to calibrate it out. Don't buy the current generation; you will regret it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-28, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
The pink hue is a hardware problem. It has nothing to do with the software. I've seen it myself and tried in vain to calibrate it out. Don't buy the current generation; you will regret it.

Agreed. Some have also been hypothesizing that it's particular to certain video cards, which I believe is incorrect as well. This is definitely a manufacturing issue IMO, and it's very common to the 23" model.

...into the light of a dark black night.
sturmi

2005-04-05, 04:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I'd hesitate to buy a brand new one because there are lots of reports of the 23" Cinema display having a pink hue. .
I just replaced the original 22" Cinema Display, bought 2001, with the latest Apple 23" Cinema Display. The old 22" had a pink hue in the lower left corner when using the grey desktop, and was awlays much dimmer than the new 23".

Compared to the Apple 17" TFT Display and the iMac G5 20" located in the same room, the 23" Cinema Display has not the slightest pinkisk hue.

Actually I like the new display very much. The only drawback is the fact that the switch on the display does not turn on the connected Mac. Since there is no more an ADC connnector, the power switch on the Cinema Display can only turn the display on and off or set the Mac to sleep (adjustable in the system settings of OSX).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-05, 08:59

Well, I'm glad to hear you're happy. And I'm sure that the vast majority of 23" Cinema displays is not subject to the pink hue problem. Still, it's a higher percentage than you'd expect given the number of reports, which is enough reason to be careful.

Personally I like that the power button can simply turn the monitor off. I had an ADC monitor way back when and it sucked having to turn off my computer or put it to sleep in order to get my monitor to turn off. I much prefer just switching off the monitor to sleeping my computer.