User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 143 of 222 First Previous 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-27, 10:37

Amen, brothers!

Unfortunately, my wife gets car sick just looking at a car, so the backroads are a no-go from the start. Seriously, if there's more than three bends in a road within a mile, she gets sick to the point of vomiting. So, the backwoods, two-lane exploring just doesn't happen for us.

Which sucks because we love camping.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-27, 10:43

After getting my driver's license thanks to the DC beltway and then having one grow up around me in Tidewater I've too learned to dislike the Interstate. I use it when I need to get from A to B over a long distance. For anything local though I avoid it. In my area you almost have to though. !-85 is just a corridor for Atlanta and Charolette and it sucks every time of the day.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-27, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Unfortunately, my wife gets car sick just looking at a car, so the backroads are a no-go from the start. Seriously, if there's more than three bends in a road within a mile, she gets sick to the point of vomiting.
I'm kinda the same way. I'm not used to being a passenger, so I'm experiencing it again for the first time in years. But if I keep my eyes on the road and just glance over to sights occasionally (and don't focus/linger too long), I'm okay. What I can't do, even for 4-5 seconds, is look down at a phone for map/navigation reasons. I'll get queasy immediately, and it takes me 5-15 minutes to recover. I made that mistake on one of our first outings a few months ago...never again. We kinda pre-plan a general route, with room for improvising/detouring, but we familiarize ourselves with the general layout of highways so we kinda know where to go. And if we get stumped, Dad will pull over and stop, and we'll check our phones if needed. I just can't do that while in motion...bleeeghhhhhh! And since I'm the passenger, navigation duties fall to me. But we know we have to pull over for that, so I kinda suck at my job (not being able to navigate while in motion).

But as long as I'm mostly watching the road ahead, I do okay. It's when I take my eyes off the road (or especially look down) that the eyes/motion stuff get jumbled and I just lose it. I can go from normal to pre-vomit stage in about six seconds.

I should probably buy some Dramamine for future trips. Wouldn't hurt.

Even as a kid, I could get car-sick in a matter of seconds.

I have friends, however, who can ride passenger - even on curvy, winding roads - and mess with their phone, read, etc. An ex girlfriend could sit in the passenger seat with her Kindle and it never phased her. I wouldn't make it past the first page in a book.

I never get sick while driving, of course. My eyes are kinda forced to be focused on the road ahead.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-27, 11:29

My wife is like that. If she looks down for more than a couple seconds, she gets woozy. So, there's no asking her for anything once we're in motion.

As far as Dramamine goes, it make it worse for her. What she has found that helps is ginger. Ginger cookies, ginger tea, Ginger and Marie Anne. Oh, wait, that last one helps me, not. her.

Anyway, she gets sick. So, the straighter the road the better, and that generally means the Interstate. Which, around here, is synonymous with the Daytona 500*.

* Actually, that's not true. There is a beautiful symmetry to the Daytona 500. 50 or 60 professional drivers doing 200mph is a thing of beauty. But, thousands of idiots tailgating at 80, then speeding to 90, then jamming on their breaks for the distracted fool going 50 in the fast lane—that ain't fun at all!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-07-27, 15:12

Feeling sick while driving, sounds like she needs Graval (SP? Brain dead on the name) maybe that’s Dramamine? I needed it as a kid, and on power boats in rough water.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-07-28, 03:40

Quote:
My wife is like that. If she looks down for more than a couple seconds, she gets woozy. So, there's no asking her for anything once we're in motion.

As far as Dramamine goes, it make it worse for her. What she has found that helps is ginger. Ginger cookies, ginger tea, Ginger and Marie Anne. Oh, wait, that last one helps me, not. her.

Anyway, she gets sick. So, the straighter the road the better, and that generally means the Interstate. Which, around here, is synonymous with the Daytona 500*.

* Actually, that's not true. There is a beautiful symmetry to the Daytona 500. 50 or 60 professional drivers doing 200mph is a thing of beauty. But, thousands of idiots tailgating at 80, then speeding to 90, then jamming on their breaks for the distracted fool going 50 in the fast lane—that ain't fun at all!
Perhaps she should be driving?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-28, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Perhaps she should be driving?
She does "okay" when she's driving, but on really windy roads it makes little difference.

We took a trip a few years ago (only about 60 miles) and the road we were on was super-twisty, with lots of switchbacks and whatnot. She got really sick and we had to pull over. At that point, she wanted to drive and it was definitely better, but she still got sick. We wondered if it would have been different had she been driving the whole time?

But that was before we got our trailer, and now it's in a big pickup pulling a 5000 pound trailer, and even the thought of it makes her nervous. I fear that may contribute to her car-sickness, but maybe we should try it?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-28, 12:36

In general, if I drive I won't get car sick. But there have been a couple of exceptions...if I'm driving an unfamiliar (not mine) vehicle on unfamiliar (twisty, winding) roads, even as a driver I may still get a little queasy. But not too bad, and nothing like I get as a passenger if I take my eyes off the road for too long.

There have been times where I've gotten car sick and it's taken a solid 90 minutes or so to recover and feel better (after we've stopped, or gotten back home). Man, it'll sometimes linger like crazy if I get a bad hit of it. I won't be right for a while. My dad said "holy smokes, you're green!" a few months ago. I looked in the mirror and all the natural coloring was gone from my face and I had this weird, sickly green/grey look to my face.

Scared the shit out of me! I could've been an extra on The Walking Dead, no makeup required.

I just got out and walked around a parking lot for about 10 minutes, drinking water and getting myself together. That level of severity has only happened about 4-5 times in my life, to where my physical appearance actually changed and was noticeable to others.

"Wait, did I die?!"
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-28, 14:03

I bet you guys do great playing first person shooter like games with lots of movements and panning. Mrs T can't watch me play Fallout or the kids play Fortnite for that reason. She gets motion sick from just watching.

Heck, before we moved we did a "virtual tour" of the home with our realtor walking around with his phone. She had to stop watching it. Blair Witch, she'd be barfing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-28, 14:24

Hell, my wife can't even watch us play Minecraft.

And that movie-theater-roller-coaster-popcorn opening makes her want to vomit.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-28, 14:27

I don't play those things. The interest isn't there, but even if it was I probably couldn't deal with the movement and all, you're right. If I watch a TV show or movie with any serious POV chase sequences, depending on the overall movement (I can deal with going forward, in a straight line, very fast...but once any turns or sideways stuff kicks in...ugh), it can do a number on me. I remember as a kid going to Six Flags in Atlanta and they had this movie showing of POV from various sports cars and roller coasters from around the world. That thing laid me out...I had to leave halfway through.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-28, 14:33

Oh no. ZZ Top bassist, Dusty Hill, has died at 72.

Fun band. A family friend had their albums from the 70's, so I was aware of/liked them before the MTV/hot rod car/video music fame came their way. I never got to see them live but I met Billy Gibbons at a guitar show in Nashville ages ago. He's kinda hard to miss.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-30, 13:39

Absolutely ball-less.

I only regret that there's no idiotic social media angle involved (for once).

But sure, I'd totally trust the guy in that mugshot to go to work on my sack in a budget hotel room, by all means. What could possibly go wrong?!

For those who refuse to click the link (grow a pair already), here's the sum-up:

Quote:
JULY 29--An elderly Florida Man today copped a plea to felony charges in connection with his bloody, botched castration of a man he met on a eunuch website, a crime for which he will be sentenced to three years in prison, according to court records.

During a Circuit Court hearing this afternoon, Gary Van Ryswyk, 76, pleaded no contest to unlicensed practice of a health care profession resulting in serious bodily injury. He entered a similar plea to a second, lesser felony charge.

A plea agreement signed by Van Ryswyk and his lawyer indicates that the septuagenarian fetishist will be sentenced later this year to three years in state prison. The top count to which Van Ryswyk pleaded carries a maximum 15-year term of incarceration.
Read the entire article above, if you dare. It's totally nuts.

I smell a new marketing campaign for La Quinta Inn.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-30, 14:27

I just don't think there should be any charges at all. These clowns met each other online, and volunteered for the … uhm … nut-ectomy, so why press charges? Should be a WYSIWYG thing, and all parties should go on home. Why waste tax-payer dollars on consenting adult "recreation"?

As far as ZZ Top is concerned, I have Eliminator and love that album. But, that's it. I heard them sing at a "live concert" on TV (of course) after their prime and it sounded like they had marbles in their mouth. For me, they were a one-and-done group. I love that one album, and don't care for anything else they've done. FWIW, a dude from here in Boise made guitars for John Bolin.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-30, 14:35

I didn't know that was a thing (eunuch fetishism, not guitar-building).

I learn something new every day. Whether I want to or not.

Those pics from the article.

Yeah, if consenting adults want to meet up and have a stranger cut their nuts off, who am I to get in the way of a good time.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-30, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, if consenting adults want to meet up and have a stranger cut their nuts off, who am I to get in the way of a good time.

My sentiments exactly. Gets them out of the gene pool.

Seriously, I can't stop laughing. That is just, well, NUTS!

Oh, dear.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-07-31, 08:26

Quote:
She does "okay" when she's driving, but on really windy roads it makes little difference.

We took a trip a few years ago (only about 60 miles) and the road we were on was super-twisty, with lots of switchbacks and whatnot. She got really sick and we had to pull over. At that point, she wanted to drive and it was definitely better, but she still got sick. We wondered if it would have been different had she been driving the whole time?

But that was before we got our trailer, and now it's in a big pickup pulling a 5000 pound trailer, and even the thought of it makes her nervous. I fear that may contribute to her car-sickness, but maybe we should try it?
I know I’m coming back to this late, but does she read a book or watch stuff on her phone while you drive? I found car sickness was worse if I was reading and stopped, but fine if I didn’t.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-31, 09:29

Well, I never have to go too many days, it seems...

YouTuber dies after falling 600+ feet from a mountain while - you guessed it - recording a video.

Quote:
Albert Dyrlund, a YouTuber from Denmark, reportedly died after falling 656 feet while filming a video in the Italian Alps.

Newsweek reported that the 22-year-old was recording a video for his YouTube channel on Mount Seceda in Val Gardena, Italy, when he fell.

A rescue helicopter was reportedly sent to save Dyrlund but could not save him in time, Italian broadcaster, Rai reported.
Details are scarce but I'm assuming the side of the mountain/cliff didn't tragically give way. Such a thing would've surely been mentioned in the story as a reason/cause. That a rescue helicopter was sent to "save" him, but couldn't do so in time...does that mean he slipped and fell a little and was hanging on for dear life on another perch or outcropping and others saw what happened and called for help? Odd set of circumstances.

Usually when you die like this it's pretty quick and the helicopters and authorities only show up after-the-fact to retrieve the body. So was there a period between a slip/misstep and the actual fall? That's kinda what it sounds like, meaning this guy - unlike some of his peers - might've had a bit of time to contemplate his actions. "Why did I do this...that's a really long drop", "if I could rewind the clock 3-4 minutes, I would've done some things differently", etc.

Quote:
Following Dyrlund's death, fans posted tributes on Twitter. "I'm completely out of it. I am ready to cry and empty of words. I can not understand it. I will forever remember all our memories," said fellow Danish YouTuber Rasmus Brohave.

Another fan tweeted: "We've lost a big Danish youtuber Albert Dyrlund, 22 yrs. He died while filming a youtube video on a cliff in Italy."

She added: "Please be careful when making risky videos. Its not worth it."
Yeah, no shit. Is that some sort of newfound revelation among this crowd?

She was a fan and she brings up the "risky" angle, so she probably (correctly) assumed he was doing something unsafe/dangerous for her to even say that, right?

What, exactly, was he doing when things went sideways (climbed over a railing or ignored signage, which seems to be the primary go-to move of the falling-from-a-high-place social media/livestream/selfie artisans).

I've read numerous stories over the years about people stepping over railing or barriers to get pics/footage and falling as a result (because, as it turns out, those barriers and signage tend to be there for a reason), so it's not unheard of.

Quote:
Earlier this month, an influencer from China died after falling from a crane while recording herself for a social-media post. The Sun reported that the 23-year-old was speaking into a camera when she fell. She often shared clips of her job as a crane operator on the Chinese TikTok platform and others, The Sun reported.

An influencer from Hong Kong also recently died after falling from a waterfall while taking a picture. While standing near the waterfall on the Tsing Dai stream, Sophia Cheung slipped and plunged into a 16-foot-deep pool, The Daily Mail reported.
Seems the most prominent trait (and lasting legacy) of some of these "influencers" is figuring out a way to stupidly kill themselves, dying way before their time.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-31, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I know I’m coming back to this late, but does she read a book or watch stuff on her phone while you drive? I found car sickness was worse if I was reading and stopped, but fine if I didn’t.
Oh, no. If she looks at anything other than the scenery, she gets sick. There are—quite literally—just four extracurricular activities she can do while we're out and about: 1) Look out the window; 2) Eat; 3) Talk; 4) Sleep.

Quote:
I've read numerous stories over the years about people stepping over railing or barriers to get pics/footage and falling as a result (because, as it turns out, those barriers and signage tend to be there for a reason), so it's not unheard of.
Hey, you know … something just occurred to me.

Wait for it.

Wait. For. It.

Maybe, just maybe, these people are all Storm Troopers? I mean, railings jsut get in the way, so why have them at all?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-01, 11:08

Does this ignorant twat realize how close she came to an awful death?

Probably not.

Quote:
A Yellowstone tourist got out of her car and walked toward a grizzly and cubs, video shows. Now she’s been charged.

If you've been on this planet for any length of time, and haven't had your head completely up your ass, you should know how dumb this is. I can't believe she walked away from this.

Quote:
The woman from Illinois was charged in U.S. District Court on Tuesday with feeding, touching, teasing, frightening or intentionally disturbing wildlife, according to court documents.

The charges come after the tourist was spotted on video posted May 12 standing within feet of a grizzly bear. It appears in the video she was taking photos or videos with her phone when the bear started to run toward her.
Priorities.

That should've been the last thing she ever saw, but, by some miracle, she wasn't pounced on and mauled to bits. The bear actually stopped. It probably felt sorry for the woman..."I can't attack this person, she's obviously lacking in the brains department and it just wouldn't even be fair. I'll give her a pass, just this once."

There's a story/footage on YouTube from a guy who was mauled by a grizzly who was walking with her cubs a good distance away. That this woman was within 15-20 feet (from two other stories I've read about the incident) - and lived to tell about it - is incredible.

I hope the idiot bought some lottery tickets on her way home. There aren't that many people out there who can say they walked away unscathed after being that close to a grizzly and her cubs. People have died. And those who didn't probably wish they had (scalped, jaw chewed off, tendons ripped from limbs, eye gouged out, skull cracked from a full head bite, broken bones, puncture wounds galore, etc.).

Kinda makes me wonder about the other occupant of the car. Her husband? Did he recently take out some life insurance on her?

"I'd really love to get rid of this ball and chain, but how?! Wait just a minute..."

If this were Law & Order or NYPD Blue, the cops would have him in an interview room and peppering him with a few dozen questions.

"Pal, you let your wife get out of the car to approach a grizzly and her cubs...you wanna explain your thinking here?"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-01 at 11:22.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-08-01, 12:17

Jesus, these are animals that have no problem running 35 mph (55 kph). I am fairly certain that person's top sprinting speed tops out at 5 mph.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-01, 12:18

This seems like a semi-monthly headline, “Idiot nearly attacked/killed by bear while taking a selfie.” Right up there with the two or three dummies a year that fall into the geysers at Yellowstone.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-01, 12:52

That bear could’ve closed that distance in seconds. She wouldn’t have stood a chance. Luckiest idiot I know of.

I truly don’t know how some people wake up, get themselves dressed and get through a typical day (driving, traffic, work, interacting with others, grocery store, etc.). That level of oblivitardation is off the charts.

I still think there’s a chance there was a husband/s.o. involved who was fed up with her shit.

“Look, honey…some cute bears! I’ll pull over and you hop out and get some pics. Bears are too big to run, don’t worry.”

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-01 at 13:12.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-01, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Jesus, these are animals that have no problem running 35 mph (55 kph). I am fairly certain that person's top sprinting speed tops out at 5 mph.
Probably even less with pants full of crap.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-02, 20:13

...and on a somewhat-related note, I do believe I've found the most 2021 headline out there.

Quote:
“Ultimate Slip ‘N Slide” was shut down June 2, seven weeks into shooting — with another five days to go, including the crucial final competition that had promised a huge cash-prize winner — at the show’s $6 million set in Simi Valley, California, after 65% of the show’s staff were infected by a giardia outbreak that caused multiple cases of “awful explosive diarrhea.”
Where's the vision?! Had they aired any diarrhea + Slip-n-Slide incident, they surely would've had the highest ratings/viewership in TV history. It would've made the final episode of M*A*S*H* look like a "very special episode" of T.J. Hooker.

Pussies.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-02, 22:13

We need to get you a new cat.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-08-02, 22:30

Quote:
...and on a somewhat-related note, I do believe I've found the most 2021 headline out there.

Where's the vision?! Had they aired any diarrhea + Slip-n-Slide incident, they surely would've had the highest ratings/viewership in TV history. It would've made the final episode of M*A*S*H* look like a "very special episode" of T.J. Hooker.

Pussies.
How was this not a 30 Rock episode?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-03, 02:18

Quote:

We need to get you a new cat.
He’s good.

They filmed a bunch of episodes but couldn’t complete. And they spent several million to build the big set/slide.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-03, 09:15

That is just crazy. I guess they didn't bleach the crap out of the water.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-03, 16:07

Heh. Passenger goes full drunk asshole and gets duct-taped to seat until he's removed by law enforcement and arrested.

He so should have gotten a bigger beatdown before being taped to the seat.