AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

James Coates: [strike]genius[/strike]

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
James Coates: [strike]genius[/strike]
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-01-16, 11:02

This man is propagating just what Mac fans everywhere were fearing: media FUD and lies pertaining to the Intel switch.

Article link

login: registrationwall@hotmail.com
password: longtime

To quote some of the nastier bits...

Quote:
Specifically, Apple's iMacs, now on sale, work on Intel's Pentium line of chips.
Quote:
Apple executives say they hope some company will come along and write a version of the Microsoft Windows operating system for Macintosh computers. With that, one could make a desktop or laptop boot up in either Mac or Windows as needed.
Quote:
As things stand now, Apple will not provide this kind of bridge with its iMacs, towers and laptops, but the hardware in the new Macs will be able to run full-blown Windows or Mac OS 10. One reason all of this should sound like good news to Windows users is that it will be just as easy for Apple's software geniuses (iTunes, iPod, Final Cut) to write versions of these classics for Windows as it will be for Microsoft coders to do Apple stuff.
This article will probably turn countless thousands away from Apple. Either James Coates has no idea what he's talking about, or he's paid by Microsoft to spread this kind of shit. Either way, the general public is now being fed lies. We need to tell this man the truth before more damage is done.

email: jcoates1@aol.com

Home address available in article link.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-01-16 at 11:25.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-01-16, 11:21

Oi, you might want to pull at *least* the address; I'm sure there's some sort of rule or etiquette against that somewhere.

That aside, I do agree with you (though somewhat less emphatically). Hopefully someone will come up with a decent rebuttal to put alongside that article.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-01-16, 11:24

Alright... now I don't look quite as much like a vindictive ass.
Batman

2006-01-16, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode
Oi, you might want to pull at *least* the address; I'm sure there's some sort of rule or etiquette against that somewhere.

That aside, I do agree with you (though somewhat less emphatically). Hopefully someone will come up with a decent rebuttal to put alongside that article.
I don't see what is wrong with the putting the address there, seeing as the genius put it in the article himself.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-01-16, 11:27

If he wants to put his own address on the article, I say let him. We don't need to be redundant.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-16, 14:06

That was the most uninformed stuff I've seen written in a while. Not even worth responding. And, ABB, I doubt ANYone will read this and get turned off on Macs.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-01-16, 14:43

Yawn!

The internet just failed quality control. That guy knows less about computers than I do. This is disturbing. Should I send him a disturbing mail, get some sick stuff from one of the dark corners o the net perhaps? Nah. He's probably beyond reason, and the little devil on my shoulder wasn't encouraging me to send him anything that points towards reason any-ways.

I'm going to do the dishes now. No more internet for me today.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-01-16, 16:08

God stuff like this is maddening. Someone send the story to Jobs & Co. They'll straighten his senile ass out.
shell

2006-01-16, 16:30

First I laughed, then I cried. If this was Ma and Pa's Backwoods Gazette it mightn't be so infuriating, but this is the freaking L.A. Times! Is it too much to ask that your technology writer knows what Java is?

Last edited by shell : 2006-01-16 at 20:52.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2006-01-16, 19:08

I'm writing a not-very scathing email to this idiot. He needs to know that what he wrote was totally false.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-01-16, 21:23

Really this is on the editor of the Times, too. This jackass has no business writing about current technology when he clearly has very little technical understanding of how things work. He's reviewed consumer grade gadgets and software for a number of years so the editors assume he's knowledgeable about this stuff. Sad.

...into the light of a dark black night.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-01-16, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Really this is on the editor of the Times, too. This jackass has no business writing about current technology when he clearly has very little technical understanding of how things work. He's reviewed consumer grade gadgets and software for a number of years so the editors assume he's knowledgeable about this stuff. Sad.
Actually he writes for the Chicago Tribune, the L.A. Times is owned by Mother Tribune and they reprint it.....go to the source brothers.....the Chicago Tribune, and while you're there ask them why they don't want the Cubs to get into post-season play, and why they are even contemplating giving the General Manager and the Field Manager contract extensions.

Coates is a self-proclaimed Mac-head who must've gotten soft from so many years of answering WinTel owners questions about virus protection, ad-nauseum. (he has one or two feature columns a week and one ASK JIM column a week) The Tribune is thankful on a daily basis that the New York Times is having such a hard time, it keeps the focus of them.
And they still haven't apologized for endorsing President Bush for re-election.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-01-16, 21:51

What a Dumbass!

*fires up super dooper email laser flame device*

*zwooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh Kaboom*
autodata
hustlin

2006-01-17, 00:12

He just seems like a sweet, though somewhat misguided, old man.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-01-17, 01:22

Weird...

He's happy about the Intel switch, yet also seems to be happy about the quality of the Mac.

He also points out that many of Vista's features are copied from OS X.

I want to call him an idiot, and I want to call him a fan. I'm confused.. lol