Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Messages disappearing from Mail.app

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Messages disappearing from Mail.app
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-23, 14:07

I just got my new iMac on Friday and I have had an issue with mails being deleted and/or moved to archive. Not sure why..

When I try to recover the emails by importing the emails into Mail.app, the messages won't copy.

There are no filter/rules on for the accounts, as far as I know. The one in particular that tI'm having issues with is an iCloud account. I improved 4th backed up mailbox and when I try to move the messages, they don't stay in the inbox.

Any clue here?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-23, 14:21

Does this happen after trying to move a message?

If so, you're probably running into… a rather frustrating severe bug new to Catalina and Big Sur.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-23, 14:24

Those are the exact problems that I'm running into.

I imported the mailboxes and tried to move the message, sand they disappear entirely. No idea what to do about it.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-23, 15:07

I'm afraid your best bet right now is to use a different mail client like Postbox, MailMate, Thunderbird (and, optionally, to report this to Apple so maybe they start taking it seriously after two years 🙄).
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-23, 15:36

Are there any other emails clients that will import box files?

The emails keep disappearing, but I have a local backup I'm trying to import.

Last edited by kieran : 2021-05-23 at 15:55.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-23, 19:59

Oh my god, this is terrifying.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-23, 20:42

You're telling me. I've spent all day trying ot figure out how to solve this.

My biggest concern now is the email address that we set up for my daughter. We have been sending emails to her randomly over the last two years and all of those emails disappeared. I have the full export with all of the detail, but when I imported, only the emails came back, none of the attachments, which are photos, videos, etc...

Definitely not a fun day....

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-23, 20:44

I've been using Spark for a long time and love it. I use it on my phones and Macs. I've not had any issues with it at all and get way more features than stock Mail.app.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-30, 08:05

Any updates on this issue?

Found out yesterday that a lady I worked with on a movie back around the turn of the century has encountered this problem - she has lost 20k+ emails and the Geniuses have suggested that she did it herself in error. If Apple is aware of this problem it's pretty unforgivable to have your tech folks out there telling users that they're the problem.

Fairly irritated about this.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

2021-06-30, 08:10

macOS 11.4 appears to still have this issue. Unclear if the 11.5 and 12.0 (Monterey) betas do, but probably.

The impression I get is that it hasn't been escalated enough at Apple.

But, even if this bug didn't exist, the Apple Store staff blaming the customer is not great.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-30, 09:07

Just found out the worst part: this lady works exclusively on a phone and an old iPad. I don't think there are any locally stored images of her mail records. She's out of luck, isn't she?

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-06-30, 19:20

I'm definitely still missing some. As I try to search for things, I'm missing a period of a few weeks.

I can't even upload the archived messages back to the email I have set up for my daughter because they all just disappear again.