Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Time Capsules

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Time Capsules
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-30, 10:34

The little church I was raised in has closed after 58 years in existence. With fewer than 8 active members left I am the person who is handling much of the final wrap up. In our last service we were visited by a group of founding members, one of whom asked "Did y'all open the time capsule?"

We were like "Whaaa??"

So it turns out that they had put a time capsule in the exterior wall of the cinder block education building, behind a marble dedication marker.

Last weekend I took mom and met another member (our final "new" member) to open the time capsule before the Conference comes to take over the property (and lock us out).

I set up a portable table to catch the marble slab once we slid it out of its creche, but as it turns out the slab was attached with construction adhesive and came away from the wall in the first few strikes of the chisel (worked by our new member). It was resting on two metal nails driven into the mortar, so it didn't fall off but rather "tipped out".

Inside the wall was a space filled with a copper box that I worked out with my fingers. I don't have it with me right now, but it's roughly 8x8x11 (inches).

And it's been soldered shut.

I have not opened the box yet. We need to figure out a date that we can do that, where people can come and watch.

I also need to determine the best way to open the box without damaging the contents.

So.

Anybody else got a time capsule story?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-30, 10:46

No story, but I am curious what you're gonna find in there. I think there are three possibilities:

1) A wad of 1950's-era $100 bills;

2) A bunch of useless junk;

3) The head of the diocese who happened to be involved with the Mafia and failed to "cooperate".

I'm hoping for #3, 'cause that's gonna hit the news and you're gonna be the Geraldo-type opening the can.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-30, 11:31

We HAD a Facebook page for the church but when some jackass in Texas cross-posted about THEIR church with the same name (typical problem with churches) somebody must have reported our page as an imposter and there was ZERO WAY TO GET IT BACK - they just disappeared several years worth of stuff, it was so sad.

But if I start a new page maybe I could build up an audience for the opening of the time capsule

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter