User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iTunes won't sync with USB

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes won't sync with USB
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2005-01-30, 15:11

Hey all. I have a 4th gen iPod 40 GB, and I'm having trouble getting it to sync using USB (1.x). I have a 2001 model iBook G3/600 MHz which has 1 (one) Firewire port, which is in use by my CD burner, which has two ports. One has to be used to connect from it to my computer (obviously) and the other one is used to daisy chain to my 200 GB HD. Now if the 200 GB HD had a free Firewire (400) port I wouldn't have this problem. It's got 2 FW 800 ports, a USB 2.0 port and 1 FW 400 port. As far as I know the firmware of the G3 iBooks doesn't support Firewire 800. Would I be able to get an adapter to convert between FW 400 and 800 so I can use the FW 800 port on the HD to daisy chain the iPod as well? The FW 800 adapter that comes with my iPod doesn't fit into the FW 800 ports on the HD.

With that said, my problem is that I can no longer get my iPod to sync (i.e. appear under iTunes as well as mount as a disk on the Desktop) using USB, since my Firewire ports are in use. It used to work just fine, albeit the slower transfers. What can I do to get this to work again? I plan on getting a Firewire hub, but I won't have time (nor money) to get it for a while. I know that my USB ports are functional because I tested them with my USB mouse, and it works fine.

Any and all suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. = )

E-Mail: shiggymiyamoto@gmail.com
Formerly known as Proud iBook Owner 2k2 at AppleInsider.com's Forums
Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-30, 15:23

hmmm... there is no reason why fw800 wouldn't work with an adapter-albeit at the slower 400 speed... You say your iPod came with a fw800 adapter? are you sure that isn't just a 6pin-4pin adapter? both of those are for fw400 ports. fw800 ports have 9pin ports and you would need that adapter. This is what you are looking for. I would suggest getting a regular 9pin-6pin adapter so you can use any cable... but you may get more use out of an additional iPod cable.

As for the usb problem... you say it has worked in the past, what have you changed in the interim? iTunes 4.7.1? 10.3.7? Maybe some new hardware?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2005-01-30, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
hmmm... there is no reason why fw800 wouldn't work with an adapter-albeit at the slower 400 speed... You say your iPod came with a fw800 adapter? are you sure that isn't just a 6pin-4pin adapter? both of those are for fw400 ports. fw800 ports have 9pin ports and you would need that adapter. This is what you are looking for. I would suggest getting a regular 9pin-6pin adapter so you can use any cable... but you may get more use out of an additional iPod cable.

As for the usb problem... you say it has worked in the past, what have you changed in the interim? iTunes 4.7.1? 10.3.7? Maybe some new hardware?
Thanks Paul! ^_^ And yeah. I have iTunes 4.7.1 and well as OS X.3.7. It's worked with that configuration just fine, and I have no idea it crapped out on me. $15 for that Dock800 is really reasonable. I appreciate it.

E-Mail: shiggymiyamoto@gmail.com
Formerly known as Proud iBook Owner 2k2 at AppleInsider.com's Forums
Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!