User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 13
Page 3 of 4 Previous 1 2 [3] 4  Next Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-07, 21:41

If the mini is an option this time around, I may go for it.

I haven't really been using my phone outside of the house and I have my iMac, MacBook Pro, and iPad Pro for use in the house.

I think I would appreciate the smaller size when outside of the house.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-08, 05:21

I don’t know the numbers - not sure if anyone outside Apple does - but I really thought that mini would’ve been more popular than it seems to have been.

When I see iPhones out in the world, they’re all the regular or Max/Plus versions. That has just never appealed to me. It has always been about compact pocketability and effortless one-hand usage for me.

I realize that may stem from being on this things since Month One back in summer 2007, and that’s just how I’ve always viewed/used them. Those coming to the platform starting with the iPhone 6 and later, all they’ve ever known - and how they see the thing - is ~5”+ and it’s never been about compact, one-hand use.

I get that. I just hope they always throw us old-timers a sub-5” bone.

Wait a minute…that sounds absolutely awful.

You know what I mean…a smaller, compact offering. Not all of us are looking to own a phone as big as our head.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-08, 06:57

I think part of the problem is that the iPhone 11 cycle (late 2020 through mid-2021) wasn't very representative of how you would use a phone, because millions of people mostly stayed at home.

Another aspect is that the bulk of early sales are the Pro and Pro Max (we know this from an analyst question in a quarterly report), not so much because of their size but because those are the enthusiast models, and enthusiasts are far more likely to buy the newest phone as early as possible. The mini and non-Pro, meanwhile, get purchased throughout the year.

If you take that together, I don't see Apple deciding on the fate of the mini within a single year. It doesn't work out logistically: they have to decide at some point whether to finish designing the 13 mini or not, and then they have to order manufacturing. All that takes many months, so when would they have decided? Last winter is too early due both phenomena explained above. Summer is too late because manufacturing has already kicked into gear. There would've been a very small window in spring, and I think they would've only jumped on it if 12 mini sales hadn't just been bad but catastrophically bad, and I don't believe that's the case at all.

It's just, compared to the screeching voice of the minority (that's a reference ), actual sales aren't that large. "I would totally buy X if only Apple let me" doesn't always translate into actual purchases. I've seen people backtrack and say, "well, if only it were cheaper" — but that product, for example, already exists: the SE is cheaper, still very recent in terms of performance, and about as small as the mini.

(See also: people saying they'd buy a customizable medium-priced Mac tower. I bet some would. But not as many as one might think.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-08, 07:50

It also didn't help that the first mini (October 13, 2020) followed the most current release of the new SE (April 15, 2020). So people wanting the cheaper smaller phone assumed the new SE was it and made the jump. Then the mini comes out and people have their SE and aren't about to juggle phones to try to make a mini happen. It comes down to bad timing if you asked me.

I think if they released the mini and the new SE at the same time the number would be really different.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-08, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
When I see iPhones out in the world, they’re all the regular or Max/Plus versions. That has just never appealed to me. It has always been about compact pocketability and effortless one-hand usage for me.
If there had been a mini when I got my XS, I would have got the Mini for sure. It’s much easier to type on the bigger screen, and read text, but it is huge in the pocket, and as someone who doesn’t have my phone in my hand 24/7, that matters.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-08, 09:30

Yep. I’m spoiled because that was my intro to the iPhone. I would never buy/own/use one of those larger models.

I know a future SE will be a 12 mini sized thing, minus all the higher-end specs/features. Until then, the current SE (or a severely discounted 12 mini) is the only iPhone I’d ever buy. Size is most of it, but I also have zero need/desire to spend $999+ on a phone. That’s Mac money. I top out at $399 on a phone. Maybe $499 if the flagship mini ever dropped that low.

Under $500 and/or 5”…Paul’s only two iPhone requirements. Everything else is negotiable.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-08, 12:17

I just added the event to my calendar and it is slated for two hours. Seems long for a bunch of product announcements.

I did figure out how the Watch sizes will increase while the case won't though. At least per rumor the screen sizes will increase. If they flatten the sides they gain that rounded edge of the screen for display reasons without making the case any larger (at its largest measurement). Not sure about a "chunky" design, but I'd probably like it as long as it feels good against my wrist.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-08, 12:35

With luck they'll just remove some features from the Mini and call it the SE. If it was then $499 I'd upgrade.

Otherwise, my X is just fine.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-08, 12:53

I think they will let us stagnate another year and then name it the SE. Maybe increment a spec or two, but this would be in line with Apple MO.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-08, 12:56

Yeah, I know. But, the current SE is just an iPhone 6/7/8 hybrid thing, and feels incredibly old.

The mini is the right size, but it's stuffed with too much tech and, therefore, too expensive.

Conundrums, conundrums.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-08, 14:43

Quote:
Yep. I’m spoiled because that was my intro to the iPhone. I would never buy/own/use one of those larger models.
I picked up my iPhone 4 the other day and put it down on my XS, I almost forgot how nice and small the old phones are. I don’t think I’d like a phone that small, but something the size of the 5 would be nice indeed.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-08, 15:11

Made me wanna drag my original iPhone out and snap these just now. I don't have something super universal (ChapStick tube or Coke can) for reference, but hopefully a baseball, pencil, ruler and my hand will help provide some scale/context.

PS - The baseball was mine from childhood/final two years of little league (1976-1978), with my penciled(!) name still on it (barely).
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-08, 15:17

I pity you tiny-fingered fullabaloons.

You will never feel the weight of an iPhone Max tugging your pocket down, a calm belt-tugging assurance that you have not mislaid it.

You will strain your tiny-fingered eyes on that tiny little screen and take photos that cannot be manipulated with lasers, or whatever.

You will proudly cluck and preen over your tiny-finger-friendly modern day version of the Jitterbug phone.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-08, 15:18

You're a punk.

I'd love to boot that old iPhone up, but I think those days are long gone. I hooked it to its 30-pin charger and the wall a year or so ago, for several hours, and nothing happened. It's dead, Jim.
¡Damned!

2021-09-08, 15:44

Not you've got me curious if my old 4S boots up... it'd be fun to do a comparison between that and my current Max. If I can find the little guy among the tech rubble downstairs that is.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-08, 15:55

Do iPhones deplete, over time, just sitting there? Even new ones?

In other words, if I went to the AT&T store tomorrow and bought a "new" (to me) iPhone SE, but they've had it sitting in stock since February or March, am I going to get a slightly less-than phone in terms of battery life? Will it, having sat there in the stockroom for six months, not even turned on/used, lose some of its battery power/longevity, or does that sort of thing only start to deplete upon usage?

How does that work?

I've always wondered about that...you never know if the iPhone you're buying is "just off the line" or has been sitting on a back storeroom shelf for months and months...and does that make a difference? And, if so, is a it significant one or just a percentage point or two, big picture? I have no problem paying $49 in two years to replace a depleted battery (since I tend my phones so damn long), but on a phone model that's been on the street since 2020, is that the dice you sometimes roll?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-08, 16:17

You mean beyond the normal level of entropy? Components naturally degrade over time?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-08, 17:54

I know this. But how much?

Is an iPhone - sealed in its original packaging (never booted/set up/used) in the stockroom for 8-12 months - going to need a battery replacement drastically sooner than buying an iPhone that was just announced/released to the world days/weeks earlier?

I know stuff depletes. But to what degree/timeframe, used daily vs. waiting to be sold? That’s what I’ve never known/wondered about.

“Make sure you get me a fresh one, dammit!”

Would hate to get a new phone and see tha the Battery Health/Maximum Capacity is a much lower than ideal number.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-08, 19:16

Depends on who you sell it to. Even new in box and old iPhone that is more than a few generations old would be a tough sell. A collector might want a new in box first gen iPhone and pay well for it, but that’s about it. Costco was still selling the 6S, at deeply discounted prices, here a few years ago, and my parents bought one, but they only use it as a phone, so features are meaningless to them.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-08, 20:10

I was just at Apple’s site at the iPhone section and noticed that the 12 and 12 Pro still say “NEW” in the orange lettering next to each…like they did in September 2020.

That’s pushing it a bit, don’t you think? They’re well over 11+ months old and literally under a week away from being replaced. Made me chuckle.

They’re “new”, yes, in the sense that they’re the newEST flagship models, but they stopped being “new”, in the true sense of the word, 9-10 months ago. Hell, I’ll give you six months. Call them “new” for six months. After that’s you’re reaching.

Anyone wanting an iPhone - but who doesn’t keep up with release cycles/patterns or hang out at places like this - would see that, drop $699 (minimum) on one, thinking “hey, the new model!”, only to be screaming “WTF?!?” in less than a week.

Kinda cheesy/sneaky, IMO.

Then again, everyone has access to the Internet…Google, Wikipedia, Apple.com, MacRumors and all the others. So screw ‘em if they can’t be bothered to do a bit of research before throwing down $700+, huh?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-08, 20:14

Quote:
Is an iPhone - sealed in its original packaging (never booted/set up/used) in the stockroom for 8-12 months - going to need a battery replacement drastically sooner than buying an iPhone that was just announced/released to the world days/weeks earlier?
This reminds me of that Big Mac that never spoiled.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-09, 14:47

Film sites are now saying that new MacBook Pros are expected next week. I don't think that's how this works.

We have a new iPhone and Apple Watch coming, a new base iPad and new notebooks coming. Two separate events.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-09, 15:08

If they did do that, it would be a long, packed show...half phone/watch stuff, the other half Macs/iPads. I suppose it's possible, but I don't think they want anything stealing anything else's thunder. New iPhones and long-awaited new, redesigned MacBook Pros?

Then again, all the money is going to Apple, so what do they care. People can appreciate both.

I wouldn't mind it.

It's one of those pre-filmed things anyway, right? The "press" isn't flying out to Cupertino to sit 6-feet apart to watch a live thing, I assume. These pre-filmed, in-house things, anything is possible. They can cut it together any way they want, I suppose. They can film this stuff whenever they like, do re-takes as needed, etc. Way more control than a live unveiling where a demo may go sideways, or someone gets on stage and acts like they've been shot out of a cannon (and have never spoken in front of more than 8-9 people in their life). Thanks for sparing us more of that, Apple!

I wouldn't care one bit if it was just one big, cool show and then nothing else for the rest of the year (not having to wait/speculate about a second, separate October event...gets exhausting).
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-09, 15:14

I suspect there are two events 2+ weeks apart. I just cannot see all of that kit at one show.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-09, 15:45

I think we’ll see a repeat of last year’s format. It worked fine, and COVID is too much of an issue in the US to even consider flying press in. Two events (not three this time, though… maybe? There’s the iPad mini thing…).

Probably something like iPhone+Watch+AirPods (with some Fitness+ tie-in on why those three are even better with your newest subscription service). Then 14/16-inch MBP+30-inch iMac Pro.

Unsure if AirPods and iPads get any press event at all.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-10, 09:51

That's the thing too...with this stuff pre-filmed/in-house (and not hinging on an audience to be present, seal-clapping and "woooo!"-ing the entire time), they can have as many events as they want since they're not having to deal with the logistics of hosting dozens (hundreds?) of tech press dorks, showing them a good time, setting up display/demo areas and making sure they've got stuff to snack/sip on for the morning.

Probably easier to just mail the John Grubers, Jenna Sterns and Rene Ritchies of the world a new MacBook Pro, give them the NDA/embargo guidelines and access to some Apple PR personnel for any questions or needed soundbites in their upcoming articles/videos.

This way, all these pre-filmed unveilings, has to be so much easier/less stressful than those big "live on stage" events, where something could go wrong and mar an unveiling/demo (because you know that's all the non-tech, mainstream press would focus on at this point). We love to see the big guys stumble and struggle, so if a new iPhone or watch (or MacBook Pro) somehow shit the bed during a live, on-stage unveiling or demo, that could really throw a blanket on things.

I don't blame them - COVID or not - from doing these things the way they've been doing them the past year or so. Way more control, endless re-takes as needed, handing it off to others in a more seamless, interesting way, having people talking/presenting from different, interesting locations (the spaceship roof, a cool-looking hallway, atrium, underground secret lab, outside gardens, etc.), the opportunity for cool world-building/transitions (putting whales in their outdoor water features).
chucker

2021-09-10, 12:39

Quote:
That's the thing too...with this stuff pre-filmed/in-house (and not hinging on an audience to be present, seal-clapping and "woooo!"-ing the entire time), they can have as many events as they want since they're not having to deal with the logistics of hosting dozens (hundreds?) of tech press dorks, showing them a good time, setting up display/demo areas and making sure they've got stuff to snack/sip on for the morning.
I think last year’s three was pushing it. Consumer fatigue sets in.

Quote:
Probably easier to just mail the John Grubers, Jenna Sterns and Rene Ritchies of the world a new MacBook Pro, give them the NDA/embargo guidelines and access to some Apple PR personnel for any questions or needed soundbites in their upcoming articles/videos.

This way, all these pre-filmed unveilings, has to be so much easier/less stressful than those big "live on stage" events, where something could go wrong and mar an unveiling/demo (because you know that's all the non-tech, mainstream press would focus on at this point). We love to see the big guys stumble and struggle, so if a new iPhone or watch (or MacBook Pro) somehow shit the bed during a live, on-stage unveiling or demo, that could really throw a blanket on things.

I don't blame them - COVID or not - from doing these things the way they've been doing them the past year or so. Way more control, endless re-takes as needed, handing it off to others in a more seamless, interesting way, having people talking/presenting from different, interesting locations (the spaceship roof, a cool-looking hallway, atrium, underground secret lab, outside gardens, etc.), the opportunity for cool world-building/transitions (putting whales in their outdoor water features).
Yes, although there’s an inherent expectation of more polish when it’s not live. They’re clearly up to the task, though.

I’ve actually had to deal with video production this week and, oh boy. If the company we hired were a tenth as good at it as Apple…
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-13, 23:20

It's the night before the big dance and I'm super excited.

I have not purchased myself a new phone in 5 years.

This will be my fourth, which seems CRAZY.

My first iPhone was a 3Gs.

My second was a 5s.

My third was the 7 Plus.

The 13 Max Pro Seawolf Edition should be pretty damned dope!

https://www.apple.com/iphone-13-seawolf-edition/

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-14, 07:54

I think the iPhone 14 Titan will be worth waiting for, it’s just a rebranded iPad Mini, with full phone support. Perfect for vloggers, and people who never put their phones down. They can never be big enough!

I just hope the new iPhones don’t see the big price hike that is rumoured. Don’t know if I am interested in upgrading this cycle, my phone is only 3 years old, but it will be interesting to see if they can improve battery life with newer generation 5G modems. Doesn’t matter much to me, 5G essentially doesn’t exist in Canada.
¡Damned!

2021-09-14, 09:02

Not in the market for a phone this year, but I do hope that the rumored "Portrait Mode for Video" and ProRes codec make their way over to the 12 Pros and are not just a 13 Pro exclusive.

So it goes.