Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPhone 11 “Jerk Mode”

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 11 “Jerk Mode”
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-11-23, 13:20

I have a weird and intermittent issue with my iPhone 11 that I’ve taken to calling “Jerk Mode”.

It mostly manifests as the camera just showing a black screen, no live preview. But that’s only the most obvious symptom - sometimes it just shows up as apps behaving “weirdly” with maybe a single unresponsive button, or not updating content. Then I go check the camera app and there’s the black screen. A reset usually fixes it and I don’t get it again until a day or so later.

Has anyone else heard of anything similar? Is my 11 just a lemon? The frustrating thing is it’s not easily reproducible so I don’t feel able to take it to the Genius Bar for support.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-23, 15:47

I have an 11 and can’t think of a similar behavior.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-23, 16:29

I had that on an older OS with my Xs. I ended up going into restore mode and reinstalling IIRC. I of course made a backup on my computer as well as iCloud beforehand, but you can restore without wiping your device to retain settings. That we enough for me.

My biggest symptom was the camera you mention. I'd open it and the screen would go black. I could swipe up and the bar would show on the screen but I didn't get the preview or overlay of the controls.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-24, 10:44

I've had a weirdo-acting iPhone on a couple of occasions over the past 13(!) years. A full factory reset/rebuild (just treated it like a new phone) fixed it both times. I didn't do a "restore from backup", in case the problem was some sort of corruption/glitch in the existing system, so I just wiped everything clean and built completely fresh, and those issues all went away. This happened on my iPhone 4 and briefly-owned, "stopgap" iPhone 5c, both well over five years ago (the 2010-2012 and late-2015 timeframes).

It's a hassle, and not my favorite way to spend time, but I'd exhausted all other fixes/options. And it wasn't that bad, especially when they acted right again. Time well spent; that's why God makes rainy Saturdays.

"Well, I can't do much else today...".
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-11-24, 23:11

Thanks all! I’ll give that a go as my next step.

Edit: My phone is HAWT.

Last edited by Bryson : 2020-11-25 at 16:06.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-11-26, 17:32

Darn. Jerk Mode persists.

Unfortunately, I'm enrolled in the Beta, so I've killed the profile and will wait for the 14.3 release "proper" before I do much else. If I make an issue of it now they'll blame it on the Beta, I'm sure.

I guess I could try the "no backup" route but crikey, that seems like a lot of work.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-11-26, 19:04

Camera gate 2.0 coming up. Didn't the iPhone 5 or 5s have this problem in the past, and Apple lost in a civil suite and had to pay out?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-09-29, 12:13

Update: I haven't seen a single instance of Jerk Mode since iOS15 was installed, so that seems...encouraging?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-29, 12:25

iOS has seemed to fix/address a few things on my iPhone, sure enough. But it’s all been tempered with some of the stupid UI or design/functionality choices in 15 (I truly don’t think Apple could make a worse, more unreliable - and impossible-to-understand - podcast app if they tried).

“This sucks, but at least iOS 15 is on the way and they’ll fix it all. No way it could ever get worse!” <— Wrong Stuff Said/Assumed by Paul in 2021 (#458)

Nothing’s ever just a clean, pure victory.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-29, 15:22

I don't think Apple Podcasts is great, but I also don't think that's a big problem* — so many great podcast clients! If Apple's app were great, wouldn't there be people complaining that they "sherlocked" competitors?

*) it will, however, become a small and perhaps growing problem if Apple's paid podcasts platform takes off, because that flat-out doesn't work with third-party clients at all. Which I think is something Apple should fix.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-29, 16:54

I’d just be happy to download/listen to some things. I’m not whining in the weeds about specific features. The overall reliability/usability is lacking for me.

And it used to work fine, so I know it can. The interface/design is a mess and isn’t straightforward or intuitive.