User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

But I Don't Want THAT Window

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
But I Don't Want THAT Window
ChasmoeBrown

2005-12-30, 21:30

OS X has a particular nuance I'd like to change but haven't been able to find out how, so once again I kneel before you.

When I close a window, OS X brings forward the next open window for the application of the window I just closed. That's not what I want. I want the penultimate window - the one I was using before the one I just closed.

Is there a way to change this behavior? I've checked the System and Finder preferences but have not found anything.

TIA
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-30, 21:34

Er, that's exactly what it does. When you close a window, it brings the one to front that was right underneath it.
ChasmoeBrown

2005-12-30, 21:45

Not for me, honest. (I have 10.4.3.) Right now I have a mix of about 8 Finder and Safari windows open, with the AppleScript Editor on top. If I click on one of the Finder windows, it of course comes to the front. But when I close that Finder window, I don't get the AppleScript Editor back - another Finder window comes to the fore.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-30, 22:02

Something I find really annoying is in certain apps (not sure if this is app specific or something the os does) is when you minimise a window from that app, but have others from that app still open on your desktop... If you then close a window it will invariably bring the one from the dock back out again, when you've actually minimised it because you want it out of the way to deal with other open windows from that app..

Dreamweaver and Photoshop both do this a lot.... I am pretty sure Mail does it too...

This drives me almost as insane as Spotlight and Safari both ignoring / ramdomizing / filling out input for you when you don't want them to!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2005-12-30, 22:05

that happens for me too.
I had two finder windows, and this safari one.
Safari was at front, i brought a finder window to the front, closed it and the finder window BEHIND safari appeared. Never really noticed this before....

Jon Hole
http://www.jonhole.co.uk
15" PowerBook G4 Combo, 1GB RAM
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-12-31, 18:28

This is a good feature... It switches between windows in the open application, in this case finder/safari etc etc...

In other words, if you had a palette open in photoshop and closed it, you would much rather fall back to the photoshop application window than the finder window you just had open.

It is a good thing...

Sorry...
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-12-31, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasmoeBrown
Not for me, honest. (I have 10.4.3.) Right now I have a mix of about 8 Finder and Safari windows open, with the AppleScript Editor on top. If I click on one of the Finder windows, it of course comes to the front. But when I close that Finder window, I don't get the AppleScript Editor back - another Finder window comes to the fore.
After you close, hit -tab... it's instinct for me.
ChasmoeBrown

2006-01-01, 12:42

So maybe I've stumped the band?

A good feature does not necessarily equate to a desirable feature, for any number of topics. ;-)

Thanks for the cmd-tab. It does save much frustration but I still want that preference setting. Maybe there's an OS X (or even Tinker Tool) developer lurking out there who would consider it. . .
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-01-01, 23:31

Chasmoebrown,

I have to say that you are likely to want the functionality to work both ways in lots of different scenarios... if we can only get finder to read your mind we would be set...