Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Video for G5 Users only!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Video for G5 Users only!
hype.it

Send a message via AIM to hype.it Send a message via MSN to hype.it  
2004-08-17, 03:12

The stock GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64MB DDR sucks a bit... well a lot infact. It's speed seems reasonable for one monitor, then when you add another identical display (in my case two 23" Apple Display, not the current sexy aluminum finished version with Firewire, but the previous) and set both of them to 1920 by 1200, thing become a little slow. Noticeable in high definition quicktime movies, especially when you drag them while playing.... erm... choppy!!

But, I think I just found the perfect replacement. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Special 256MB Mac Edition Sorry, this is only for G5 Users! Comes with a professional price tag too! Sell your gran, and buy one.. only $369.00 bucks!

Quote:
The cinematic revolution continues with the RADEONª 9800 Series, as one of the fastest and most visually advanced 3D graphics performers, supporting AGP design specifications. A supercharged, 256-bit DDR memory interface and a thrilling 8-pixel pipeline generate the power to deliver real-time, Hollywood-caliber graphics for the most demanding next-generation games.

Unsurpassed Performance
RADEONª 9800 series is the ultimate accelerator of the most demanding next generation 3D titles, scenes and environments. Complex shader effects and full precision computation are rendered with blistering frame rates, resulting in smooth, interactive animation of organic, complex environments. RADEONª 9800 series introduces a new standard of performance to graphics-intensive applications.

Cinematic Rendering
Backed by highly programmable cinematic shader engines and support for the latest Microsoft¨ DirectX¨ 9.0 and OpenGL¨ feature sets, the RADEONª 9800 Series is designed to bring the most detailed worlds to life with motion picture quality effects. Employing billions of color variations and high precision pixel processing at all performance levels, RADEONª 9800 series delivers cinematic graphics with a new level of quality and consistency.

Virtual Perfection
Experience unparalleled 3D visual realism with the advancedengineering of ATI technology. SMOOTHVISIONª 2.1 delivers the sharpest, clearest picture quality imaginable. SMARTSHADERª 2.1 enables 128-bit full floating point precision for hyper-realistic imagery. FULLSTREAMª removes blocky artifacts from streaming Internet video to deliver smoother looking, higher quality online content.

Next Generation Gameplay
RADEONª 9800 series of graphics processors beats with the heart of a champion, thanks to the industry's only cinematic Visual Processing Unit (VPU) in its 3rd generation. Backed by the latest CATALYSTª software suite, RADEONª 9800 series optimizes performance, power and stability to surpass the most exacting next-generation gameplay requirements.
Speed trials:
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Special 256MB Mac Edition vs other cards...

So, what you think guys? Fast enough?

what's this line for?

•-› blogMacMeetupOSXUnixWhPaws!
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2004-08-17, 04:14

I think that I will wait for the new X800 card serie, who will kick the ass of this card. This card is supported in the latest OS X build (normal if we consider that the architecture of this card is unchanged, just more pipelines).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-17, 07:01

256 MB Radeon 9800 Pro, built by ATI, PC compatible - $266

ATI is screwing Mac users in the ass on a daily basis.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2004-08-17, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
256 MB Radeon 9800 Pro, built by ATI, PC compatible - $266

ATI is screwing Mac users in the ass on a daily basis.
And he does this, since the beginning ...
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-08-17, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdoc
I think that I will wait for the new X800 card serie, who will kick the ass of this card. This card is supported in the latest OS X build (normal if we consider that the architecture of this card is unchanged, just more pipelines).
Um, won't that be PCI Express-only, thus unusable on current PowerMac G5 models?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-17, 15:00

Yes. Gotta wait for Apple to put PCIe on the PowerMacs. That should come with the next revision (it BETTER come!).

Sadly, if they use PCIe, they'll probably put the super-slow X300 on the two lower end models and only put the good X600 on the top-end, with an option for the X800. The X300 is basically just as bad as the GeForce 5200, except it uses PCIe. But that won't stop Apple from using it.
stoo

2004-08-17, 16:44

There are AGP versions of the X800. Dunno if they'll be in the G5 any time soon. Sidenote: ATI has shipped one million PCIe cards.
hype.it

Send a message via AIM to hype.it Send a message via MSN to hype.it  
2004-08-18, 16:52

There's no point waiting to got the PCIe version, i already have the hardware, a well expanded system with more than enough memory to feed the most hungry of applications. So much so, Photoshop fully loaded only eat one quarter, of the available ram!

what's this line for?

•-› blogMacMeetupOSXUnixWhPaws!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-08-13, 09:57

Did anyone else get a 9800 Pro Special Edition after the price came down a bit (or with the trade-up voucher they had in recent months)? I just got one for about $230 with a rebate from Amazon. Thing is very powerful / great card but it's noisy and hot. It immediately causes my G5 fans to spin up much higher because of the heat being dissipated by the Radeon sink/fan unit.

Another thing, the instructions called for some goofy power supply hookup using extra cabling that's apparently coiled under the Super Drive but there is nothing in my machine like what's described in the manual. Anyone have experiences with this?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Louie
I hate content

Send a message via AIM to Louie Send a message via MSN to Louie  
2005-08-13, 12:33

the day apple comes out with the dual 64bit intel power with pcie is the day i move off my windows pc for gamming and stuff

edit: they need to stop the BS where apple gfx have to have some extra thing or whatnot, can a 6800 just be a 6800 and not have to buy a "mac" version of the card. thats what really piss's me off

spell checking?!?

Last edited by Louie : 2005-08-13 at 12:35.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-08-13, 14:39

I think the day is coming where there will no longer me "Mac Edition" cards. Maybe a few PCI jobs for the old G4 tower crowd but in general Mac cards will be the same cards PC users use. It won't make sense for ATi or Nvidia to make separate cards anymore, and what's more other manufacturers might get into the game if Apple certifies them for use on Macintel.

chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-08-14, 01:21

"Certify"? What is there to certify? The processor architecture has nothing to do with the graphics cards. It's Apple's use of OpenFirmware that matters. If Apple continues to use OpenFirmware on Intel PCs, it will be one and the same issue*. I don't know whether EFI has similar requirements, but would guess it does.

*) The issue is the ROM of the card. To boot a computer, obviously the graphics card needs some sort of hardware driver for most basic graphics, so you can see the BIOS on typical Intel PCs, or the Apple boot screen on typical Macs. The big difference is that the ROM on PCs is very limited, which is why during bootup, you see some low-resolution screens (including the big Windows logo on XP boot). On the Mac, OpenFirmware provides full means for the graphics card to load a 2D driver; hence you get a crisp full-resolution and full-color display right from the start. (This is also the reason, for example, that Linux on Macs has a high-resolution console, whereas the one on PCs is typically limited to a resolution like 512x384.)

Again, this is not a matter of x86 or PowerPC, but of the platform. Apple could but probably won't switch to BIOS, as it would imply a big step back. Apple could switch to EFI, which is largely similar to OpenFirmware, developed by Intel, and probably more compatible with the BIOS (as Intel meant for it to become a BIOS replacement). Or Apple could just use OpenFirmware like Sun does.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-08-14, 14:58

By certify I mean that Apple will probably have -based on their testing- a list of recommended cards that will not cause problems with their chipsets of choice, etc. I realize Apple will use parts that are for the most part similar to what other manufacturers use, but knowing Apple I wouldn't be surprised if they had a few extra goodies packed on there to differentiate their product in some way. Either for marketing hype, actual performance or some other reasons.

Anyway, to get back OT, I am curious if anyone else has had to deal with the extra heat / noisy fan issues of the more powerful Radeon retail cards, and what they did - if anything - to reduce the problem a bit.

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-08-14 at 15:00.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-08-28, 08:48

Word to the wise: after using this card (Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition) for a couple weeks I have to say it's a very good card performance wise but it is noisy as hell. Much louder by itself than my G5 ever was. If you buy it, prepare yourself for the eventuality of also buying and installing one of these.

What's more, ATI's customer service system on their web site if a bloody joke. It's impossible to find a tech support or service email address anywhere and their "generate a support ticket" form doesn't work so you're forced to call M-F. It's a shame because I recall it always being this way. Good cards crappy service.