User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Lack of TV shows in UK via iTunes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lack of TV shows in UK via iTunes
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2006-04-19, 16:52

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else out there is a bit hacked off that there are still after all this time no TV Shows available for download on the iTunes Store here in the UK - I mean, come on, how long has this been a feature in the US? We keep hearing all these exclusive deals about the iTunes Store in America but still nothing here in the UK - I know it's all down to contracts and deals etc, but surely Apple could pull their finger out a bit more?

For example we have just completed the first series of Lost, the second series will be aired over here this Summer. Why can't we have Lost S1 as it has aired? I know it's down to rights etc etc etc but still...!

Is it because we have to pay a license fee for our TV over here re the BBC so they cannot be sold and have to remain free? Then again however there are other commercial-funded free to view channels, but suppose Apple won't make any money out of these either - I am even surprised SKY (satellite) haven't gotten in there yet although they have just started showing shows on Mobile phones.

I don't know about the US, but we're just starting to have shows downloadable from the BBC's website via Broadband but nothing to shout about...

Any other Brits out there who feel the same?
neiltc13

2006-04-19, 17:01

I would pay good money to download some UK TV shows to watch when I want, but my eyeTV does it all for me anyway, even dumps it on my iPod after converting a recording!

Deal or No Deal, Coronation Street, Doctors and some of the More4 and E4 lineups would be good.

Is anyone else hacked off that you can't actually buy episodes of Murder, She Wrote on iTunes or Google or anywhere else like that?
Mikester

2006-04-20, 03:48

It is annoying, I agree. I suspect it's not to do with the licence fee to the Beeb - it probably has more to do with the fact that Channel 4 (who own the rights to show Lost in the UK) don't want any competition to DVD sales, etc. Therefore, we won't see downloadable Lost content until DVD sales have peaked. I suspect once Lost 2 starts something might happen then.

As to other programmes, the BBC isn't going to put shows on iTunes because it will take traffic away from its own site. Other channels might, but I suspect Apple isn't providing much of a (financial) incentive at the moment.

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-20, 05:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester
As to other programmes, the BBC isn't going to put shows on iTunes because it will take traffic away from its own site. Other channels might, but I suspect Apple isn't providing much of a (financial) incentive at the moment.
Perhaps there are issues with the license fee. Since the BBC operates on a not-for-profit basis, perhaps it would be violating its contract to sell TV shows to people in the UK. The BBC recently conducted trials of its own TV show download system that was completely free.

EDIT: Probably not. They do, of course sell DVDs of TV shows. Never mind
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-04-20, 05:32

DR. WHO! DR. WHO! For us expats!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-20, 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
DR. WHO! DR. WHO! For us expats!
New series started last Saturday. Liking it so far
MagSafe

2006-04-20, 07:21

Yeah it's very annoying, especially when you watch the iPod Video keynote and see all these fantastic TV Shows being advertised - and when you finally get one there isn't any content to download for it! Even the video podcasts are lacking in quality, and quantity, but I guess that isn't to do with Apple though.

I've ripped a couple of DVD's so far onto my iPod which are great, and also found some good IPTV to download (Hak5 for example).

Being able to download episodes of Lost will be good though, as long as there not a priced at a ridiculous amount I'd definetly download them for my iPod.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2006-04-20, 16:16

This is exactly what I was saying... it is sooo frustrating to find on the keynotes, iTunes this and TV Shows that, Jobs gets all excited on Stage saying this is really exciting stuff - does he not realise that there are still a hell of a lot of iPod users in the UK and Europe for that matter or is it just a case of US first and once that is bringing in the bucks, we'll then conquer the rest of the world!

I guess it is a case of watch this space but even after all these different keynotes etc, when he is talking about iTunes, I just sit wondering if he is going to do something about it! - oh well...

Just thought I would share my thoughts with you chaps!

Glad I am not the only one!

PS DR Who - now that does rock and still impressed! - I grew up fondly with it...

I must admit that the BBC are showing shows such as the Apprentice available to watch online after it has aired but not able to download it to my iPod