User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

I knew it would happen one day! (color iPod screen)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I knew it would happen one day! (color iPod screen)
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-08, 00:33

colour iPod with photo viewing and video out ... WOO-HOO!

Murphy's law - I just got a 20GB for my birthday - go figure!

... or as Barto just told me - I just got cluster f*cked - dammit!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-10-08, 00:53

That makes two of us.

Oh well, its good to see the progression though. The only question I have is how long is the battery?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-08, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+

OK - this is to get iPod evolution talk going.

Some may know that I am all for it.

Personally, I'd like to see:
1) colour screen
2) tighter integration with iLife apps
2.1 iTunes and GB - music
2.2 iPhoto - store photos from a digital camera and be able to view both individual photos and albums - as well as show them on a TV
2.3 iMovie - show iMovie files ... maybe not straight away - but someday!
2.4 iCal - colour calendars are a necessity
3) bluetooth for headphone/music listening ... keep the iPod in your bag or coat pocket and be unecumbered by wires
4) be able to play Keynote presentations - connected to a projector, using the scroll wheel and buttons as a clicker as well
5) anodized colours - not just for the mini

btw - I don't care too much for the ability to watch a movie on the iPod - I'm more interested in being able to view photos on the iPod and exhibit photo albums and iMovies on a TV set, for family and friends to see.

well, any thoughts?
came from this thread on May 17.

Also - as I have mentioned in other threads we should be able to see the colour album art too ... and it looks like a go-er!

twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-08, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
That makes two of us.

Oh well, its good to see the progression though. The only question I have is how long is the battery?
I'm not *too* fussed by battery life - as a late adopter, the colour and associated iLife integration was what I had been trying to wait for!

Oh well, I don't mind giving my b'day gift to my wife and then springing for this model myself. She knew what I was holding out for, but she wanted to surprise me. (nice) However, when she gave me the gift, she also gave me the quote of the year:
"... and when Apple releases 'your colour iPod ' you can give this one to me!" ... clever girl!
Btw - we were both told to purchase iPods this year, since we are moving to China and were told by the Head of Campus it would be easier for us to rip all our CDs rather than ship them over and risk import duty on them.

I *loved* that meeting - "Babe, we have to buy an iPod each!" (... we both knew it was on the cards)

twitter
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-10-08, 01:10

How long until we see pictures of the new 'Pod...
Morpheus

2004-10-08, 06:54

Good catch, Nick!

Morpheus
¡Damned!

2004-10-08, 07:09

iPhoto viewing? Hmm....

Do I smell another Windows port brewing?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-08, 08:20

Haha...sweet vindication. I said, as others here have too, 1-2 years ago that this will probably come (even mocked it up, a good two years ago), but got nothing but "pscates, nobody wants to look at photos on a tiny screen" and other variations.

Piss off.

I always contended that it was the perfect digital camera off-loading device (Belkin makes that add-on to accomplish this), but once the stuff was on there, how cool would it be to view the photos? People routinely show off wallet-size photos of their kids to co-workers and whatnot, so now you can...but more than three or four. And the video-out thing even improves on that! During family get-togethers, which would you rather do, lug a slide-show projector to grandma's, set up a screen, etc. OR take your iPod and hook it to the TV for all to see?

And I always assumed it would tap into iPhoto the same way the iPod currently works with iTunes. Just seemed to be a no-brainer.

Good idea, great timing (holidays), will sell like hotcakes!

From now on, when I say something, don't be so quick to dismiss it.

I wonder if this will indeed be out before the holidays (if so, it'll CRUSH the competition). But I also see it being held onto until MWSF.

Either way, it'll be HUGE.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-10-08, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I wonder if this will indeed be out before the holidays (if so, it'll CRUSH the competition). But I also see it being held onto until MWSF.

Either way, it'll be HUGE.
This could be the seperator between the Apple and HP lines for the Christmas buying season. But, Apple could hold out till MWSF to spur more sales in the off season per say, not that the iPod has had an off season yet.

Mile 1
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-08, 09:16

I was just about to bring this up (but you read my mind): this new 60GB pPod (photo pod ), will there be an HP version of it? Part of me thinks "no" because there isn't a Windows-based iPhoto. But then I remember back to the days before iTunes for Windows and that other software was used (can't remember the name).

So maybe Apple has partnered with some third-party Windows-based software company to create a simple "bridge" solution that'll load PC users' photos onto their iPod in lieu of a Windows version of iPhoto.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2004-10-08, 09:25

Perhaps it'll be in the form of an old Newton 2100. Larger screen and longer battery life.
And call it,... iPod Plus
Davey

2004-10-08, 09:28

Hmmm... now if they would just release a new iBook to go along with it...
trailmaster308

2004-10-08, 09:59

I'm sure all the third party developers will jump all over the accessories this new iPod will bring. I can certainly see a camera device hooking up to the ports and allowing you to use it as a camera. Maybe even be able to view the image on the screen before you shoot it. Some of the older cell phones had external camera attachments, I don't see why the "pPod" (as scates puts it) cant have one of these as well.

Did you bring me a monkey?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-10-08, 10:31

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee!

My other half is so happy.. She it a total mp3 junkie and has now filled my 30gb and her 30gb ipods!!!

I was turning backloops over the screen and the implications of this and she is doing the math on how many more tunes she fit on a 60gb drive!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
StevesMom

2004-10-08, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
That makes two of us.

Probably just slightly smaller than the iPod case.
trailmaster308

2004-10-08, 10:43

^ what?

I think he meant how long does the battery last, not how big is it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-10-08, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesMom
Probably just slightly smaller than the iPod case.
*rimshot* Smart guy.

Anyone care to chime in on estimated battery life based in devices with color screens versus monochrome?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-08, 10:46

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-10-08, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
*rimshot* Smart guy.

Anyone care to chime in on estimated battery life based in devices with color screens versus monochrome?
It has to be less, unless they are introducing something new battery wise. But if it is going to have the same relative dimensions and the same battery, then yes, less.

Mile 1
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-10-08, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee!

My other half is so happy.. She it a total mp3 junkie and has now filled my 30gb and her 30gb ipods!!!

I was turning backloops over the screen and the implications of this and she is doing the math on how many more tunes she fit on a 60gb drive!!

Wow, that is a lot of music you two have. Are you who Balmer was refering to the other day...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-10-08, 11:03

Well, I think everyone already assumed it would be less. The important question is how much less.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-10-08, 11:08

ok, 1/2 as much. *rimshot*

Something right now is not adding up about the rumor as a whole. I have read what 2 or 3 different versions of it and...I don't know. It just isn't adding up.

Mile 1
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-10-08, 11:19

Oh well...

I can dig the video out, and color coding iCal might be a help.

But, I still haven't seen a backlit color screen (think laptop displays, cell phones, digital cameras, etc) that's visible in bright light, which is where the plain LCD still beats everything besides printed paper.

Maybe Apple's figured out a way to have a display option of black text on a transparent background. Hmm, now that I think about it more, maybe it's like the GameBoy Advance with its transflective screen...
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-10-08, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I was just about to bring this up (but you read my mind): this new 60GB pPod (photo pod ), will there be an HP version of it? Part of me thinks "no" because there isn't a Windows-based iPhoto. But then I remember back to the days before iTunes for Windows and that other software was used (can't remember the name).
The Windows application was MusicMatch.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-10-08, 14:36

This will be awesome. Steve will be so overly enthusiastic about it though, but that's what I love.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-10-08, 14:56

Yes, this would definately be a good come back item for Mr. Jobs to introduce (maybe throw in some PBs too ). As for the battery, I think it will be 1/3 less capacity than the 40/20 gig versions. But then again, they might have some new battery that give the device like 15+ hours. That would be so sweet.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-10-08, 15:27

I'll pass. I never understood the point of the color screen thing. And y'all know the spec whores are going to be out in hordes complaining of the lack of battery life and the "huge size."

Come waste your time with me
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-08, 18:14

Well, I think I'll make up for the spec whores (as a late adopter) and sing the praises of the colour screen and ability to store and display photo albums finally - hopefully viewing iCals in colour as well.

The iPod is truly becoming one of the best advertisements for OS X simply by its total integration with the iLife suite. If ever there was a time for Apple to tout the "we make the whole widget" angle again ... this could be it.

twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-10-08, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
Wow, that is a lot of music you two have. Are you who Balmer was refering to the other day...
Hey that's not fair man!! I bought every piece of music we have off of that Limewire Music Store thingy!

The rest my friend gave to me and said it's ok he had permission from the record companies!

But back on topic... Sleeping on the whole idea I really hope this doesn't detract from the iPod in some way... I don't really know what I mean here but there is something purist about the iPod right now which I don't want to get lost.

I remember how cool the Gameboy was and then the colour version hit the streets and it was never quite the same.... Do people know what I mean?

Once it does appear with a colour screen I hope it has more use than just displaying iCal in colour... Looking at the new compression software that is going to be in Tiger I am hoping it will have movie playing capability, perhaps using an iPod specific algorithm.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
iDaver

2004-10-08, 19:30

Ok, so who really thinks photos look good on a TV or a two inch color LCD? Not me. Even if you do, looking at photos is much nicer on a big, sharp computer monitor, so I don't see the big deal with a color iPod.

If this rumor is untrue or the rumored new iPod doesn't come out in time for Christmas, it could really hurt Christmas sales of current iPods that will be plentiful but not sold due to false anticipation. I'd expect an announcement soon from Apple denying the rumor if that's the case.