Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Aqua - The Best Theme of All

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Aqua - The Best Theme of All
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-11-17, 23:28

Despite the fact that it can wreak havoc on my system ( ) I've been using Shapeshifter for the past few months. And there are some great themes available, especially the new guikits that mod folder and system icons automatically. But I just went back to the default Aqua theme and my god it is bloody awesome. Apple is really quite good at what they do.

Anyway, if anyone else here knows of theme that can top Aqua please show me. I don't think it exists.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-17, 23:39

Long ago I used to suffer the pangs of not having Kaleidoscope on Mac OS X. Then, I realized that the themes were not only more trouble than they were worth, but that Aqua itself is bloody awesome especially compared to many of the themes out there. Yes, some of them are very well done, but none of them seem quite as polished and universally appealing as Aqua.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-11-18, 09:39

Yeah, a lot of people went through the same machination when Kaliedoscoe was available for the Classic Mac OS. You'd spend about a week changing the "scheme" every 15 minutes, settle on one that was very close to Platinum for another week, then look at the default Platinum, realize it was still better, and return to where you began. If you're looking for something Aqua-like, it will be hard to improve on the more refined one we have now in my experience. Otherwise, you might look into more OpenStep-like appearances or something really different from Aqua.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-11-18, 09:44

I used Alluminum Alloy for a good six months until my hard drive completely crapped out. It seemed perfect to me. Now, I don't want to use it because it requires some Unsanity software. Can't stand that company.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2004-11-18, 15:09

Yeah, that one was fun for quite some time... but then I turned it off for an update, and realized how elegant Aqua is - Especially in Panther. They've really refined it nicely since 10.0
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-11-18, 15:15

I use the AquaPro theme, but before that, I used SmoothStripes. Basically, I have always hated the pin stripes in OS X, and both of those themes do a wonderful job of only removing them.

I love Aqua too, but the pin stripes just had to go.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
autodata
hustlin

2004-11-18, 15:29

Aqua is certainly the best theme, but it doesn't mean I like it. The three things that bother me: 1. too bright 2. too many curves and 3. aqua + metal. So I use a theme called Classix10k v1.1 which is a little darker, has squared edges and doesn't differentiate too much between aqua and metal apps. It's not as 'good' of a theme as aqua, but I find it much less intrusive and, therefore, easier to ignore when working.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2004-11-18, 15:55

I especially liked the Mac OSX XP look. Brilliant!
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-11-18, 19:20

I was one of those who played with Kaleidoscope every day, even finally buying it. I found myself using an "Aqua" (which was really neat with a Zelda 64 soundset!), which I liked a lot. Eventually, the only two Kaleidoscope themes I used were Aqua and Platinum, and I ended up ditching Kaleidoscope altogether and using plain ol' Platinum because of how smoothly it worked.

I even fooled around with those Appearance themes that worked their way into the unused native theme support, but again, kept going back to Aqua or Platinum.

The only thing I'd like to see in OS X is proper soundset support (no haxies, no APE crap). I miss having the noises from Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. Best menu & selection sounds ever.
iBrowse

2004-11-18, 22:36

http://www.dlanham.com/downloads/somatheme.htm

That's my current favorite, in the green variation. Fun and funky.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-11-19, 00:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrowse
http://www.dlanham.com/downloads/somatheme.htm

That's my current favorite, in the green variation. Fun and funky.
I used that for a while. The icons are nutty. I used Good Grey before switching back to Aqua. I tend to go for the plain themes like Good Grey or Milk. But for now-nothing but Aqua. Though there is a NeXT theme I may try.