User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iBook backlight not getting power, what to do?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iBook backlight not getting power, what to do?
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-11-17, 13:28

Hi guys,

When I woke my ibook up this morning, the screen was dim so I restarted it and the backlight never came on. If I put the screen to almost closing, the backlight does come on.

This leads me to believe that the cable providing power to backlight is thin or is about to be severed.

My iBook has long gone off warranty. What are my options to fix this problem?

Thanks.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-17, 16:22

Try pushing down on the part of the computer above the keyboard. Right around the hinge, that'll show you if your power is being cut or what. If you push down on it and the power comes back on, it's a faulty connecter I think. Maybe someone can shed some more light on this for you.

Come waste your time with me
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-11-17, 17:40

Does it happen at all angles or just when the book is open at certain aspects?

<Backlight cables are known to fail occasionally and if it works at some spots and not others it might indicate a kink in the cable which would require replacement.>
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-11-17, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Does it happen at all angles or just when the book is open at certain aspects?

<Backlight cables are known to fail occasionally and if it works at some spots and not others it might indicate a kink in the cable which would require replacement.>

It only fails when I open it up. If it's 30 degrees open, it works fine, anything more shuts it off.

What is odd is that I found that if I open the screen little by little over 10 minutes, it will be able to work and even at obtuse angles.

But I think it must be a kink in the cable. would it need a replacement or could I somehow join them back together and wrap it around with tape?
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-11-23, 18:15

stevegong: I had this problem with my iBook almost two years ago. It's the backlight powercable that is being pinched in the hinge. Apple has steadfastly refused to acknowledge this design defect. And I paid $300 for the out of warranty repair.

The good news is that if you are willing to open up you iBook, it's a $30 part -- the Reed Switch assembly -- that you can replace yourself. I know Small Dog Electronics sells the part.

See this iBook screen goes black thread on the Apple Discussion Boards for other victims and instructions for sourcing and replacing the Reed Switch.

Good luck!

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
digitalAngel

Send a message via AIM to digitalAngel Send a message via Yahoo to digitalAngel  
2004-11-26, 02:49

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

check this link out.. i had the same thing happen to my iBook and i got the logic board replaced for free. i'm not sure how old your iBook is but see if it falls under this recall.

i Believe, that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade.
And try to find somebody who's life gives them vodka, and have a party!
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-11-26, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalAngel
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

check this link out.. i had the same thing happen to my iBook and i got the logic board replaced for free. i'm not sure how old your iBook is but see if it falls under this recall.

thanks for the help, but I don't have a problem with my logic board.