AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iTunes 5.0 speculation

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes 5.0 speculation
Page 2 of 5 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
psgamer0921

2004-11-21, 17:21

-Lyrics included in downloads/Be able to paste lyrics into a box under Get Info
--Karaoke Mode? (Transparent box on desktop, showing lyrics line by line)

-Getting it to actually work with Windows XP SP2

That's all I can think of...
Jim S.

2004-11-21, 18:48

How about adding Apple Lossless Codec as an option from the iTMS? Perhaps an "upgrade" feature that would allow users to upgrade previous M4P files to a new protected Apple Lossless format. I'd chip in some money to be able to upgrade my existing songs. It would be even better if iTunes could conveniently manage multiple formats of the song (M4P for iPods, new Apple Lossless for stereos) and sync user ratings and such.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-21, 19:16

Maybe if iTunes let you sort songs by sound quality. That'd be cool.

Loseless
160 AAC
128 MP3
etc...

Nevermind, it already does that.
psgamer0921

2004-11-21, 19:33

Ahh, one more

Different size colums for playlists!

I keep Auto-sizing all my colums, but only to find they don't work for another playlist (Or even better, have an option to automatically resize the column for you)
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-11-21, 20:49

Well at the risk of Apple being accused of ripping off another developer's utility, Apple could also revamp the equalizer to dynamically optimize the output a la Volume Logic.

I mean, while I'm a bit wary of making some features too "smart" to the point of making too many assumptions (e.g., the Word paperclip), but I think that for these secondary and often under-utilized features are, well under-utilized because people don't want to go through the effort. If some reasonable automated system can be toggled, with a manual or user-selected override (e.g., your own star rating on a file or the manual EQ preset), then I don't think it's a problem.

Is there anything more fundamental or essential that iTunes could use? We know that broadcasting or sharing is unfortunately crippled and will likely stay that way. I can't really think of anything more substantial offhand.
rasmits
rams it

2004-11-21, 23:53

Full album art, including booklet and liner notes. The lyrics thing is good, and maybe links to buy posters or something for the band. They could do it with movies too.

Oh and, an ability to search for music videos.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-11-22, 00:20

iTunes already kinda of can have lyrics and liner notes, in that, you can store multiple images in the album cover section, then click on them to make them full sized.

Now apple just needs to provide high resolution liner notes in conjunction with that feature to satisfy you people asking for album notes...etc.
byzantium

2004-11-22, 07:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
iTunes already kinda of can have lyrics and liner notes, in that, you can store multiple images in the album cover section, then click on them to make them full sized.

Now apple just needs to provide high resolution liner notes in conjunction with that feature to satisfy you people asking for album notes...etc.
Well I don't think that's a good idea!

text as graphics takes up more space then plain unicode text
text as graphics isn't searchable

really one of my biggest gripes, is that itunes stores a copy of the album cover with every track in the album! Talk about a waste of space. Synergy does it much smarter.

Now lyrics are song dependent, and should be stored as plain text so they are easily searchable, copy-pasted, etc.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-11-22, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
What does that have to do with anything?

After 4.9 comes 4.10, then 4.11. This isn't a decimal number.

Incredibly low latency, less CPU use, less chances for stutter, etc.

Windows compatibility will be interesting when they move to CoreAudio. QuickTime only *now* is getting the cross-platform support that it should have had all along, so keeping it cross-platform is a must. How that will happen, I have no idea.

Given Apple's wonderful execution of graceful fallback for new technologies though (if the GPU can't handle a certain new tech, fallback to a software renderer on the CPU, etc), I suspect that QT7 will simply be more powerful on the Mac. The same files will playback on the Windows machines, the same codecs will be supported, etc, etc, etc, but it just may not have quite the performance for intensive content *creation* oriented tasks. Since this is Apple's bread and butter, it makes sense for them to make that the best they can on their side.

QT7 will be the same API on both (all?) platforms, but have different performance capabilities on the different hardware. Core* already has quite a bit of graceful fallback in place, has finally ditched the last of the legacy Toolbox, is finally thread-safe and re-entrant, etc, etc, etc. Basically, it's good to go for cross-platform support as the underlying guts of a new QT7 API suite.
Just want to point out that at the moment, CoreAudio doesn't do mp3 encode/decode. The only place to do this is in QuickTime. Hopefully Apple will add mp3 into CoreAudio but I wonder if they've held back from this due to political reasons?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-22, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Hopefully Apple will add mp3 into CoreAudio but I wonder if they've held back from this due to political reasons?
Licensing. iTunes uses the Fraunhofer IIS software.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2004-11-22, 10:18

Only feature I really want is the ability to select songs by the "!" (i.e. the iTunes-can't-find-it marker) so I can easily ditch all the damn songs I no longer have on my hard drive.

Shhhh, I can't see!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-11-22, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dviant
Only feature I really want is the ability to select songs by the "!" (i.e. the iTunes-can't-find-it marker) so I can easily ditch all the damn songs I no longer have on my hard drive.
good one.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-22, 11:41

I just let iTunes keep the music folder organized. I didn't realize this until I started using Windows, but I guess it'll let you keep your music wherever you want and still copy/delete songs to your selected music folder. Anyway, it just copies songs to the right place in the folder when you open them with iTunes, and it moves them to the trash when you delete them from the library.

I'd like to see some Automator-like features in the next version. It would be nice to easily change how various songs are labeled. What if you want to change the way the song's information is displayed? A former Winamp user, for instance, might have his songs labeled in the "Artist name - Song name" format, because that's easier when you're just browsing a list of files. But in iTunes, it's better to have the artist's name and song name be separate. Being able to switch between the two, or do just about any other time-consuming task like that, would be useful.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-22, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dviant
I'm pretty sure there's an AppleScript for this...

Yup!

http://www.apple.com/applescript/itunes/

Remove Missing Tracks -- will remove every track whose file is missing on disk

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-22, 13:39

Logging in from the campus computer store's G5 and 20'' Cinema display...and just thinking that if this is all we can come up with, then that just goes to show what an amazing job Apple's done with iTunes.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-11-22, 16:29

Apparently the new DVD player in Tiger has the ability to impose bookmarks on and create short clips from longer video works. I'd like to see the same thing in iTunes with musical works. I run across longer tracks all the time, and it would be nice to break up, say, the last movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony or the movements from his Missa Solemnis into bite-size chunks for navigational ease.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-11-22, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Apparently the new DVD player in Tiger has the ability to impose bookmarks on and create short clips from longer video works. I'd like to see the same thing in iTunes with musical works. I run across longer tracks all the time, and it would be nice to break up, say, the last movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony or the movements from his Missa Solemnis into bite-size chunks for navigational ease.
Yup, I've been wanting this feature for at least 2 versions, though I often forget about it because I don't end up listening to super long tracks all the time partially due to the fact that I don't have on cue the part I want to listen to

*puts on the rite of spring, begrudgingly*
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-22, 16:43

The difference in that regard, though, between DVD Player and iTunes is that iTunes already offers you the ability to immediately jump to any playback location. You want to be half-way through the song? *click* You're there.

DVD Player doesn't offer a nonlinear time track like iTunes and therefore needs this feature a lot more.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2004-11-22, 16:44

Excellent, thanks Brad!

EDIT: Oops maybe I spoke too soon. The "remove missing files" script only returns errors when I try to use it in iTunes 4.7 Trying this now...

EDITEDIT: Ok that 2nd script set i linked to worked when I did small selections but its not very speedy. As in you wonder if it's bombed when you try to apply it to a 32 gig library.

My initial request above still stands.

Shhhh, I can't see!

Last edited by dviant : 2004-11-22 at 17:09.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-11-22, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgamer0921
-Lyrics included in downloads/Be able to paste lyrics into a box under Get Info
--Karaoke Mode? (Transparent box on desktop, showing lyrics line by line)
Remember soundjam? It had karaoke mode, that did some filters to lower the vocal feed while, optimistically keeping the instrument levels intact. It barely worked but it was a nice idea.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-11-22, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The difference in that regard, though, between DVD Player and iTunes is that iTunes already offers you the ability to immediately jump to any playback location. You want to be half-way through the song? *click* You're there.
It's not so much that I "want to be half-way through the song" so much as be at this particular point or that particular point without having to remember the timings or scrub through the track playing "Where the Hell is It?"™.

(Just had another idea: offer the capability to loop these x second clips too.)

Quote:
DVD Player doesn't offer a nonlinear time track like iTunes and therefore needs this feature a lot more.
You've got a good point there.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-11-22, 20:01

It's amazing how much Applescript can do in the meantime.

Did you try this script to eliminate the dead tracks?
This script uses Google to search for lyrics.
This script changes the filename to "artist - track name."
This script changes your AAC files into bookmarkable AAC files. I doubt it works on iTMS tracks though. This script does something similar I think.
There's even this script that begins to address the "smart" ratings idea I threw around.
nassau

2004-11-23, 21:56

i want iTUnes to do true fast forward and rewind like quicktime does. iTunes plays a clippped up unpitched version of the track while quicktime actually pitches it up AND really plays it backwards when rewinding.
futuretheory

2004-11-24, 02:43

Ogg Vorbis support please.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-24, 04:18

iTunes .ogg stuff
Jim S.

2004-11-24, 09:07

Does Ogg Vorbis result in smaller files that Apple Lossless? If not, what's the advantage? Thanks.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2004-11-24, 15:55

On my wishlist is CD-TEXT.
Why doesn't iTunes just burn the tags as CD-TEXT. There is absolutely no reason not too!

My other wish is for apple to leverage it's power in the music industry and introduce a couple tags. In particular, I would like to see 'lyrics' and 'featuring'. I have quite a few songs by one artist that 'feature' another artist. If this is left in the artist tag, then browsing by artist is a pain. Lyrics? Seems so obvious...

Oh yeah...
Did I say CD-TEXT?
Why no CD-TEXT yet?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-24, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S.
Does Ogg Vorbis result in smaller files that Apple Lossless? If not, what's the advantage? Thanks.
Yes, much, much smaller files. Ogg Vorbis is a very high-quality, compressed audio format. It's like MP3 or AAC, but better. It's also open source.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-11-24, 18:15

Er, define 'better'. It's good, no doubt, but 'better' than AAC? AAC+? I guess it depends on your definition of better.

Edit: Yeah, Ogg is smaller than Apple LOSSLESS. I mean, ya think? So are MP3, AAC, and transcribing it by hand with a paintbrush on a piece of rice, I gather. No one's going to claim that Ogg isn't smaller... but the sound quality is less than Apple LOSSLESS. Any lossy format is. You want small files/low bitrate and good quality, there's a new codec designed for tiny bandwidth (like 32-48kpbs) but 192kbps MP3 quality that just got accepted as part of MPEG-4's suite of technologies, but darned if I can recall the name.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2004-11-24 at 19:11.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-11-24, 18:57

OGG is like AAC and WMA in the sense that it's supposed to be better than MP3 and is no where near as compatible as MP3. Heh.