User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Windows Media Player uninstallation probs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Windows Media Player uninstallation probs
yoda_four

2004-12-09, 01:29

I downloaded WMP from Microsoft and installed it, but decided to unistall after seeing how crappy an app it really is (worse than Mac MSN!). I tryed dragging the folder into Trash, but every time I try emptying my trash it either says cannot continue because "htm" is being used or "________" is locked. Any help please of ridding this stupid thing from my new iMac?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-09, 01:38

First, reboot your computer. That *should* clear up any complaints about a file being in use. If not, there are other options we can take.

If a file is locked, you can't change it or delete it before unlocking it first (in the Get Info window). You can, however, force the trash to delete locked files by holding the option key when you choose to empty it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
yoda_four

2004-12-10, 17:44

I tryed everything you said but it still isn't going away! HELP PLEASE!
macsterdam

2004-12-11, 06:23

I normally remove files like this :: sample movie of removal of Disk Order Program Just give it a try and type in "Windows Media Player" and carefully check which files you should delete or not and reboot. That should work!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-11, 06:30

yoda_four: You can force the trash to be emptied in one of two ways now.

1. Download a program that will do it for you.
2. Execute a special command in the Terminal.

Unless you are very comfortable with and understand how the CLI works, you probably want to opt for #1.

macsterdam: There is only one file he needs to delete: the Windows Media Player application. That's all. No need to add extra steps to the process. And, for the record, I prefer my explanation and video.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
macsterdam

2004-12-11, 08:18

sorry Brad, but I have to disagree with you here. In most cases your video should work, however, programs sometimes install extra files after and while you use them. Good example is Suitcase. Problem caused by that program would not be solved when using your suggestion, however, when doing it my way you're sure you've deleted all files related to that particular program, including pesky application support en preferences files.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-12-11, 08:38

OK... Quick and dirty solution...

Secure Empty Trash.

It's in the same menu as Empty Trash.

It takes a while but it gets rid of anything in the bin.

Obviously any pref. files or other bits and bobs that you have not put in the bin will remain.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
yoda_four

2004-12-12, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
yoda_four: You can force the trash to be emptied in one of two ways now.

1. Download a program that will do it for you.
2. Execute a special command in the Terminal.

Unless you are very comfortable with and understand how the CLI works, you probably want to opt for #1.

macsterdam: There is only one file he needs to delete: the Windows Media Player application. That's all. No need to add extra steps to the process. And, for the record, I prefer my explanation and video.
Awesome Brad! Thanks alot! That program worked!
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-12-14, 20:14

OT

macsterdam, how d'you change the icons in the top bar of the Finder?

Another Q: How do you change the icon for every document of a particular type. For example, I have changed the icon for MS Word, but how do I change the icon for all MS word documents?

Thanks

bouncy bouncy
macsterdam

2004-12-15, 12:48

I use a combination of Shapeshifter 2 and Candybar, both with various icons sets. This is my current desktop :: big picture
Bubbles

2004-12-15, 18:36

My friend who has a PC installed WMP on hers, and when she tried to delete it (after finding out it was nothing compared to iTunes) it wouldn't let her and ended up crashing her computer.

You've got to love Microsoft
Cam'Ron

Send a message via MSN to Cam'Ron  
2004-12-26, 17:35

what is the name of that shapeshifter theme and what site did u get it from?
macsterdam

2004-12-27, 08:35

Check the wonderful world of Max
Cam'Ron

Send a message via MSN to Cam'Ron  
2004-12-27, 11:09

i found the theme, but i noticed that you have made it affect your folders, etc. for me it only changes how the top bar looks, how did u get the theme to affect other stuff??
macsterdam

2004-12-27, 15:31

I also downloaded the Goodgrey theme and from within Shapeshifter 2 I applied the icons from that theme. Can't remember where I got the Goodgrey theme from, so you have to Goole for it, sorry