User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

HD help needed badly

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
HD help needed badly
BenP

2008-03-20, 12:20

My sister has been using my old iMac G4, and she had a file stored on it that she needs for school. Unfortunately her idea of backing up is to click the save icon twice. Now the computer won't boot. I get a startup chime but the screen goes directly to the folder with the finder face/question mark. I can't boot in single user mode or from a CD.

The only hope I have is that if I boot in target disk mode, the volume appears in Disk Utility. It won't let me mount, though, and if I try to repair the volume I get an error message that says "Filesystem verify or repair failed." The message before that is "Invalid Record Count/ Volume Check Failed." Is there any way to run a FSCK on the mounted volume?

Any other suggestion as to how I could fix this? I tried running Disc Warrior but the CD tray spun up and then ejected the disc. Same thing for restore discs.
Jerman

2008-03-20, 15:09

Could you boot the iMac in target disk mode and run Disk Warrior from another machine? (To boot into tdm (target disk mode), hold down the T key on startup). The iMac will appear just like an external hard drive to another mac connected via firewire.
BenP

2008-03-20, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerman View Post
Could you boot the iMac in target disk mode and run Disk Warrior from another machine? (To boot into tdm (target disk mode), hold down the T key on startup). The iMac will appear just like an external hard drive to another mac connected via firewire.
That worked Thank you!