AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2009-06-22, 19:52

Kodak is killing Kodachrome

There is a lot of symbolism in this, even if I personally don't care about this particular film. But it's an old-fashioned film, loved by many, and a part of pop culture (tell me you're not humming that song right now!).

This has been in the making for ten years or so. Kodak has been reducing the number of processing labs, I believe there are only or two left in the US and one in Europe.

I don't have an overview of what films are still around, but I guess in terms of slide films, we're down to two or three now (if even that many). There are still a couple of color negative films around, and those will likely get a bit more life (think cheap throwaway cameras, Lomo, etc.). I also haven't followed the black&white world lately, but those films are so special and hard to replace with digital that I assume that they will be around for a while. I recently discovered a really cool photo store here in Charlotte, and they were selling HP5 and other films that I had assumed to be extinct by now (because they're so old-fashioned).

So anyway. Just figured this might be an interesting topic for discussion.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-06-22, 21:34

[OT]

See Similar Threads......

[/OT]
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-06-22, 21:44

RIP, friend. I guess they'll still be making Ektachrome to compete with the niche Fuji has carved out for itself but still. Kodachrome was an American icon and not just because of the song.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-06-22, 21:48

We play this song in my little acoustic band. Always goes over great, especially when it kinda picks up and chugs at the end!

"Momma don't take my Kodachrome, momma don't my Kodachrome, woo-hooo-a-hoo-hoo...".

Fun song to play if you can keep all the chords straight!

Sorry to hear it's going away.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2009-06-22, 23:46

I lived a few minutes from one of the labs that could process this film. After a vacation, I brought my films directly there and had my slides the next day. One great advantage of Kodachrome was it's longevity: Slides I took 25 years ago look still good, whereas my Ektachrome slides are quite a bit faded by now.

These are some Kodachrome slide scans from pictures I took in 1987:

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-06-23, 03:58

It is kind of a sad day, but it was only a matter of time. We didn't even shoot with Kodachrome, but my grandfather did, and we still have hundreds of them, even after sorting though the stuff that we didn't see much point in keeping.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-06-23, 13:54

He didn't make it to 75.

More fun Kodachrome shots:

One

Two

I was more upset when my precious Kodachrome 25 disappeared. I more or less gave up Kodachrome after that, though I do still have a few unexposed rolls. Better get them shot and developed this summer. I have many developed rolls of Kodachrome 25/64/200 at my parents' house, waiting for that glorious day when I get a scanner.

There's still a fair few colour slide films around, ghoti:

Astia 100F - fine grain, natural colours
Provia 100F - fine grain, richer colours
Provia 400X - best colour slide film at ISO 400 ever made, by a country mile
RTP Tungsten 64 - tungsten-balanced, fine grain, good for product photography, etc.
Sensia II 100 - good, solid stuff
Sensia II 200 - good, solid stuff
Sensia II 400 - good, solid stuff, albeit not as good as 400X
Velvia 50 - needs no introduction
Velvia 100 - still made and sold
E100VS - bright colours, man
E100G - pro stuff, good in every way
E200 - legendary colour pallet, absolutely beautiful, lower contrast than most 'fast' chrome
Elite Chrome 100 - good, solid stuff
Elite Chrome 200 - basically the same as E200, so great
Elite Chrome EBX 100 - cheap, bright colours

Probably more if I could be bothered digging into the manufacturer's websites. It's surprising, in fact, considering how few people must still shoot slide film. There's still a sizeable market for colour and black and white negative film, of course.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2009-06-23, 15:54

Apple should do some vintage filters for iPhoto. You choose the film, and iPhoto analyzes your digital photo and adjusts it to create a simulation of that look?

Moogs, I think this is further reason to pursue your idea, BTW, PM me if you like.