Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

iPod battery replacement?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod battery replacement?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-06-03, 20:59

i read something in the Cleveland Plain Dealer (local newspaper) that apple was being sued and they had to replace iPod batteries for some older iPods due to the short life and them not being as long as advertised. the article didnt really say iPods from what time period to what time period would be recalled nor did it say when this wanna gonna take place, but does anyone have any idea or has anyone received an email from apple yet about this???

dustin
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-03, 21:55

Check MacNN about it. There's a blurb on it. Basically, all 3rd generation (the ones with the buttons on top) and 1st and 2nd gens bought before May 2004 are covered. It's not only a battery replacement thing. I think you can also choose to either get the replacement or $$ at the Apple store or less $$ in cash.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
nassau

2005-06-03, 23:04

what amazes me is that they're not inclluding the 4th gen/minis... they are such a cold shower when it comes to the battery...
WhiskyBob

2005-06-04, 00:47

My 4G is good for 12+ hours. My 1G is still on it's original battery and gives me 6-8 hours.
If you have a 4G then it is probably still under warranty so that might be why it isn't included....
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-06-04, 18:09

i got a letter in the mail today from apple asking if my 3G pods battery life was 5 hours or less and if you say yes and fill all the paperwork out, you can choose to have them replace the battery/ipod, depending on what i dunno?, or get a $50 credit towards anything apple has except itunes stuff. pretty kool, you can bet im gonna fill mine out cuz my battery definatly doesnt get 5 hours.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-06-04, 18:31

I also got a letter and I am experiencing battery problems. This is also Apple's replacement iPod because my first one had a hardware problem. It may be under warrantee, but I am getting tired of trading them in all the time.

Don't know if I do the rebate thing or not...

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-06-04, 18:52

yeah, mines a replacement too, ill prolly try and get a new one. whats the one option mean, the BRP battery replacement program, was that something you had to sign up for???
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2005-06-04, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey
whats the one option mean, the BRP battery replacement program, was that something you had to sign up for???
If you are talking about the first option on the form, you can either have Apple repair/replace the iPod battery or get store credit if you decide to purchase something else. But you seem to know that. Otherwise, I have no clue what you are talking about.

This battery replacement thingy reeks of lawyers. If you bought a iPod between the dates listed and the battery "died" you are eligible for a replacement. BUT you still have to fill out the paperwork in order to get a new battery.

EDIT: Oh yea, it is 4 hours or less of continuous playback on 3rd gens. 5 on 1st and 2nd gen.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2005-06-04 at 19:25.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-06-04, 19:57

yeah well i wouldnt be suprised if its around 4, im gonna test it sometime to find out, it seems like it dies really quick...

the BRP thing im talkin about is letter D check box 4. it saids I paid for BRP on or about (month/year)

by dying though they mean, running less then the 4-5 hours
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-04, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau
what amazes me is that they're not inclluding the 4th gen/minis... they are such a cold shower when it comes to the battery...
Maybe because the problem has been fixed in the minis? And all 4th gens are still under warranty, anyway. Or do you just want the money??
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2005-06-05, 03:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey
the BRP thing im talkin about is letter D check box 4. it saids I paid for BRP on or about (month/year)
It looks like if you already paid to have the battery replaced once, you can get 50% of what it cost back in addition to this new battery.
nassau

2005-06-05, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Maybe because the problem has been fixed in the minis? And all 4th gens are still under warranty, anyway. Or do you just want the money??
my mini battery is horrible, and yes, i have sent it to apple and it came back the with the same pitiful excuse for holding a charge.

it asn't fixed on my mini, and LOTS of others. i sell ipods for a living and trust me, there are lots of complaints.