Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

windows network problem #55489580854058403

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
windows network problem #55489580854058403
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
section8joe

2005-08-13, 19:00

I've been trying to network my computer for 3 months. I have a powerbook and a dell pc running xp. I connect the pc to the powerbook fine. I can get files from my powerbook without problem. My problem is that I can't get my powerbook to recognize my pc. I can ping the pc's ip address, I've tried to "connect to server" but i can't do it. What else can be wrong?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP
JOE
gjas15

2005-08-13, 19:22

Could be a number of things... windows firewall, filesharing not turned on, different workgroups, etc.

tell me exactly how you are trying to connect to the pc. like protocols (ftp, smb) and if ping results from the pc to the mac and mac to the pc. Can any other pcs connect to it?

if your connecting to the pc through smb (not very reliable even in tiger) what workgroup is set on the pc and on the mac (if you havent changed anything on the mac its WORKGROUP)

Last edited by gjas15 : 2005-08-13 at 19:24.
section8joe

2005-08-13, 19:34

Windows firewall is turned on, filesharing on, both computers show up as workgroup computers on the pc. i can get files from the powerbook on the pc so i didn't ping it(i also don't remember how). I did manage to ping the pc from the mac. i don't have any other pc to connect to it.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-08-13, 19:37

I have to do this all the time.
1. Firewall on XP must be off.
2. Sharing must be turned on in Windows and then you want to share a specific folder on your PC.
3. Then hope and pray.

I have to do this but twice a year and it drives me nuts each time.

Mile 1
gjas15

2005-08-13, 19:38

when you connect to the pc does it even get to the point of asking for a user pass?
gjas15

2005-08-13, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
2. Sharing must be turned on in Windows and then you want to share a specific folder on your PC.
3. Then hope and pray.

I have to do this all the time as well... I just resorted to installing an ftp server on the windows machine. I hate SMB with a passion. Its so easy to make my server running 10.4.2 mount as a network drive on the windows. I have the windows machine do a full backup to the server at 2am every sun morning. So it just automounts the server and chugs away without any problems for months... unless someone shuts it down instead of hibernating

I agree, turn off the firewall or open up the ports for smb through the firewall dont have them off hand but when I do ill post. port #'s 139 and 445

Last edited by gjas15 : 2005-08-13 at 19:53.
section8joe

2005-08-13, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
3. Then hope and pray.

How do I find the path of the specific folder and when I do what do i do? Do i go to connect to server and SMB://ip/folder?

If I go into my finder and click network-mshome-home and then click connect it i get and error message that says the alias home cannot be opened and i cannot delete it.
section8joe

2005-08-13, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8joe
Windows firewall is turned on, filesharing on, both computers show up as workgroup computers on the pc. i can get files from the powerbook on the pc so i didn't ping it(i also don't remember how). I did manage to ping the pc from the mac. i don't have any other pc to connect to it.

SORRY WINDOWS FIREWALL IS ACTUALL OFF
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-08-13, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjas15
unless someone shuts it down instead of hibernating
That is why I do the manual backup. I don't have to worry about the someone.
gjas15

2005-08-13, 19:58

Quote:
How do I find the path of the specific folder and when I do what do i do? Do i go to connect to server and SMB://ip/folder?

If I go into my finder and click network-mshome-home and then click connect it i get and error message that says the alias home cannot be opened and i cannot delete it.
LOL... That is the reason I hate Tigers SMB implementation that feature never works right. all you have to is go to "connect to server" and type smb://ipnumber thats it. Then once you authenticate you should get a pulldown menu of the different shared folders on the pc. If you havent added any shares the only thing available will be SHAREDDOCS.

If thats the case just right click on the folder or directory you want to share click sharing and then share it.
section8joe

2005-08-13, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjas15
LOL... That is the reason I hate Tigers SMB implementation that feature never works right. all you have to is go to "connect to server" and type smb://ipnumber thats it. Then once you authenticate you should get a pulldown menu of the different shared folders on the pc. If you havent added any shares the only thing available will be SHAREDDOCS.

If thats the case just right click on the folder or directory you want to share click sharing and then share it.

I tried that and I only get an error message. The computer asks me to authenticate then it tries to connect. I get the error message that says
"the finder cannot complete the operation because some data in smb://ip could not be read or written.
gjas15

2005-08-13, 20:14

Quote:
I tried that and I only get an error message. The computer asks me to authenticate then it tries to connect. I get the error message that says
"the finder cannot complete the operation because some data in smb://ip could not be read or written.

Then its a permission issue on the pc. Are you trying to log into a limited or admin account? Also, check your file sharing settings and make sure the account your logging into has access.

This is Service Pack 2 I assume? Its out of the box security is a little tighter then SP1 so I would check the access issue first or create a new admin account and try to log in
section8joe

2005-08-13, 20:21

how do i check access

I am on a admin account.

Last edited by section8joe : 2005-08-13 at 20:28.
gjas15

2005-08-13, 20:26

Quote:
how do i check access
Its under accounts in controls panels, if you have it in classic view. If I had more than 30 minutes of battery left id open up virtual pc just to be sure. If its not goto windows help and do a search on file sharing permission or access.
section8joe

2005-08-13, 20:35

i did a search and i can't seem to find the permissions i need?
gjas15

2005-08-13, 20:48

alright figured it out... I opened virtual pc... only have 5% battery so if this doesnt work ill figure it out after I get home. For Now, just share your documents folder. navigate to the folder and right click, click sharing and security then click I understand the security risks..... share without the wizard. Then a box will come up, run the wizard and turn filesharing on. It will probably ask you to restart. Try it again and see if it works.

Battery down to 2% now. So if it doesnt work ill look into it when i get home.
section8joe

2005-08-13, 20:55

i changed my documents so i can share it. what is the path that i need to use to get to it from that mac. do i use smb://ip/mydocuments or smb://ip/my_documents or what?

Im really sorry for being a pain in the butt.
Joe
gjas15

2005-08-13, 22:26

Naw its cool. If you want to repay me remember this experience and use it as a reason for people you know to not get a pc

anyway you should be able to authenticate to the pc and select your documents folder in the pull down menu.

Last edited by gjas15 : 2005-08-13 at 23:17.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-08-14, 04:37

I never have any problems with my sharing. Not sure what you guys are doing wrong!

I have a single folder on my XP Pro machine's desktop called "Drop Box", I have enabled sharing (first checkbox in sharing section) and allowed other users to change my files (second checkbox in sharing section). Then on my Mac, I just go Network->Underworld->Vampire->Connect.

Underworld is the name of the workgroup my PC is in, and vampire is the name of my XP machine. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the underworld icon to show up but it does eventually.

The only thing I can think of that you haven't already mentioned is setting the workgroup for your Mac. Goto Applications->Utilities->Directory Access. Select "SMB/CIFS" and click "Configure..." Type the name of your workgroup in the box (don't worry about a WINS server unless you are actually in a bigger network with one!)

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-08-14, 04:42

Oh, and I DON'T have Windows File Sharing enabled on my Mac. I can see the Drop Box on the PC, but it can't see my Mac.
section8joe

2005-08-14, 10:45

Quote:
i changed my documents so i can share it. what is the path that i need to use to get to it from that mac. do i use smb://ip/mydocuments or smb://ip/my_documents or what?
What do i type for the path?

How can I set ftp file transfer?
gjas15

2005-08-14, 13:56

Quote:
What do i type for the path?

How can I set ftp file transfer?
If you enabled sharing on "my documents" you shouldnt need to type a path just type smb://ipaddress/ into connect to server. Wait just thought of something... does the account your logging into on the pc have a password?
section8joe

2005-08-14, 14:22

no password on the xp account or my mac account..... when i authenticate do i use my mac account or my xp account. by default the mac account is already typed in when it ask for authentication.
gjas15

2005-08-14, 14:55

Quote:
no password on the xp account or my mac account..... when i authenticate do i use my mac account or my xp account. by default the mac account is already typed in when it ask for authentication.
Theres your problem SP2 wont let you login remotely to an account that doesnt have a password by default. The only way to fix this is to assign a password to the account you want to log into. Also, a good idea for security purposes is to turn off simple filesharing. Goto programs/accessories/windows explorer then click tools/folder options click the view tab and scroll to the bottom and deselect simple filesharing.

Then to logon to your windows box after you assigned a password to your account just type smb://ipaddress into connect to server then when the password dialog comes up type the username of the pc account and its associated password then a windows will popup asking what share you want. click on the my documents folder you shared and click ok.

and voila it should be on your desktop.

Last edited by gjas15 : 2005-08-14 at 14:58.
section8joe

2005-08-14, 16:22

I tried to shut off simple file sharing, can't find it in folder options. Tried to log in after creating a password for my XP ACCOUNT.
gjas15

2005-08-14, 16:43

Quote:
I tried to shut off simple file sharing, can't find it in folder options. Tried to log in after creating a password for my XP ACCOUNT.
Did the login work? and do you have XP Pro or Home?
section8joe

2005-08-14, 16:44

OK, I tried something new. I created a new user on the mac and on the PC. Both accounts have admin access and passwords. I can add the mac to the pc and share files fine. I can log into the mac from the PC. I still can't get into the PC from the mac.

What am I doing wrong??????????????????

THIS IS FRUSTRATING!
JOE
gjas15

2005-08-14, 17:23

Alright when you type in the address in connect to server does it even get to the dialog asking you for your password? and if it does what is the exact error it kicks back at you after typing in your user and pass and clicking ok.
section8joe

2005-08-14, 17:30

It asks for my name and password. I tried both my pc and mac account and password and i keep getting the same error message. "the finder cannot complete the operation because some data in smb://ip could not be read or written."
gjas15

2005-08-14, 17:55

Quote:
It asks for my name and password. I tried both my pc and mac account and password and i keep getting the same error message. "the finder cannot complete the operation because some data in smb://ip could not be read or written."
Bad news first...Did a little research on it figured out this is a bug in Tiger seems to have something to do with password encryption... funny though that it works perfect for me... (error -36 right?)

There may be good news if you have xp pro. If you have home its still good news but much less secure good news

Last edited by gjas15 : 2005-08-14 at 18:01.