Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Commercials you love or hate

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Commercials you love or hate
Page 5 of 21 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
Freewell

2007-01-29, 14:04

Wow. Reality check: "Unsufferable Brat" is a universal language! In such cases as this, I couldn't agree with the ad more!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-29, 14:23

That kid was a little monster. Glad it was only a commercial, although I've seen things pretty close to that in real life.

What astounds me is simply hearing how some kids talk to their parents - and in public, no less! - these days.

I would've been in so much trouble.
Freewell

2007-01-29, 14:53

My parents would have had a very simple, non-confrontational approach. In fact I think I would have only heard three words in regards to the matter: "Pick your eulogy!"
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-02-08, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That kid was a little monster. Glad it was only a commercial, although I've seen things pretty close to that in real life.

What astounds me is simply hearing how some kids talk to their parents - and in public, no less! - these days.

I would've been in so much trouble.
In my experience, kids might sass their moms, but how often do they talk back to their dads?

I cannot *imagine* ever talking back to my dad. Even as an adult, I never felt comfortable disagreeing with him. Not a good thing, I know, but that's the way it was.

There's a commercial with a dad teaching his daughter to drive, and she gets sassy and obnoxious for a moment. Ohhh, I hate that! I *really* wish they hadn't included that snippet in the commercial, because she was so disrespectful; and I think it gives preteen viewers the idea that her behavior is acceptable, partly because the father doesn't react at all to her smart-aleckiness.

A commercial I *do* like is that American Express commercial with Ellen DeGeneres and the office animals. I think it's really well done. I think it's cute when the bird at the typewriter gives a little 'peep', as if to say, "Yep, here I am," and then goes on to start typing busily away.

A commercial that gives me the creeps is that Nextel GPS ad, where the guy stops for road directions at a backwoods gas station, and there's this creepy, Deliverance type of guy who says "*What* did you say to me?" and "*We* give the directions here!" - with a menacing look. *shiver*
Meli

2007-02-08, 20:22

The Windows Vista ad: http://youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZVKG8rRfA

I saw this commercial the other night and I really liked it. The build up for the product was kinda long and I wanted to know what it was for. Then when it finally gets to the computer and Vista, I think why can't Apple do something like that! There's something touching or inspiring about it. I can't explain it but I think its really well done and much more effective than two guys and a white background. I especially like the deer part, and hey LeBron is in it
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2007-02-08, 21:06

I really get annoyed by Linsay Wagner and the Sleep Number bed commercials.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-08, 21:10

I like those commercials for the medication for RLS (restless leg syndrome). I do!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-02-08, 21:17

Quote:
I like those commercials for the medication for RLS (restless leg syndrome). I do!
What? Chicks in satin nightgowns?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-04-10, 21:54

I just saw this one recently. It's the new berries and cream commercial for Starburts.

It is one of the most funny commercials I have seen in a long time. I cant help but to bust out laughing everytime I watch it.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-04-11, 00:14

I hate those John "Cougar" (I insist on keeping it) Mellencamp Chevy commercials too, at least the first one with images of Rosa Parks, MLK, the LA brush fires, the Katrina aftermath, and Ground Zero. Actually, no, I'll let the Katrina thing slide because they tried to contextualize it with a Chevy truck looking like it was helping in some way. It's one thing to show cornfields, firefighters and old family reels. It's VERY inappropriate to try to equate those people and events with a fucking truck in most cases. It doesn't so much elevate the brand as make it look like an inane plea in comparison.

Oh, and as far as "buying American", consider that the Nissan Titan and the Toyota Tundra are built in the USA. They also have other models made here, corporate offices, design groups, parts manufacturing, even executives here. Practically the only thing that differentiates GM, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler etc. at this point is what country they started in. Yes, I'm exaggerating, but are you buying a Chevy because its CFO was born here? Because Joe Blue collar isn't working just for GM and Ford anymore. Those clinging to arguments about buying a Ford or Chevy because it's made domestically are making an emotional argument.

At the same time, the quality problems GM and Ford are usually plagued with in terms of their passenger cars do not apply with their trucks. They actually make very good quality trucks, while Toyota, and to a larger degree Nissan have a lot of issues with their truck models. (I don't know about others.) That's why Ford continues to try to push out gas guzzlers -- it's the only thing they know how to do well!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-11, 09:25

Ha...it's funny you bring up the Mellencamp thing. Years ago, in Rolling Stone, he gave an interview. This was probably mid-late 80's, when he was at his peak (Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubille albums were huge hits, tons of singles, etc.).

I remember the interview being mostly him bitching about everything for 5-6 pages. He in such a foul mood, I remember (in fact, in the following issue many of the letters from readers were things like "tell John Mellencamp to lighten up...jeez!").

He said that people had approached him to use his songs in commercials and that he essentially told them to go f*** themselves. I'll always remember this quote from him:

"Good or bad, I didn't write 'Hurts So Good' to pour ketchup to".

Fast forward 20 years...

I guess he reconsidered that whole "my songs in commercials" thing.

I remember when I saw that Chevy commercial for the first time, and recognized the song and his voice, I immediately thought "you little shit...".

He was - and still is - such a mouthy little punk, it was funny for me to see that change. Chevy must've dangled a big enough check in front of him to make those "Jack & Diane" royalties seem like bubblegum money.

For years now, I've seen him as Sean Penn's musical alter ego: chain-smoking, humorless pud given to wild-ass, pot-stirring statements directed at The Man. The two of them should go on tour or buy a house together.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-17, 17:24

Perhaps someone has mentioned this one in another thread, but... urk!

I have to say that I do NOT like the Avis commercial linked with iTunes...

...where the car rental agent and the customer open their mouths (WIDE!) and rock music comes out instead of speech.

Sorry, but it's just a bit weird to me... even as much as I love iTunes and all.

*shrug*
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-05-18, 08:27

Great commercial (if surreal):

Toyota "Humanity"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-05-18, 08:41

Yeah, that Avis commercial with the Twisted Sister song coming out of people's mouth is annoying to the 10th level.

They just look so stupid. I saw it one time, and now, as soon as it comes on, I turn the channel immediately. Bugs me too much to sit through.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-18, 12:23

Quote:
Yeah, that Avis commercial with the Twisted Sister song coming out of people's mouth is annoying to the 10th level.

They just look so stupid. I saw it one time, and now, as soon as it comes on, I turn the channel immediately. Bugs me too much to sit through.
Glad we agree.

The guy doesn't look quite as weird as the girl, for some reason.

She looks *SO* bizarre.

I wonder which ad agency came up with this monstrosity?

I don't think 'this' commercial will be winning awards for them anytime soon.

Also, I can't help cringing a bit that iTunes has anything to do with it. eek!

Oh well.
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-05-24, 10:11

There was a amazing nextel commercial i never actually saw it on tv but i saw it on you-tube, from Sprint Nextel for their new GPS-enabled Nextel walkie-talkie phones. In it, two warehouse workers tell an inquisitive colleague about "the dots" they're watching, which are people with Nextel GPS phones on the road. The they tell the curious co-worker, "don't agitate the dots." Then a supervisor-type person walks in, wearing safety goggles and eating cake. "Who's agitating my dots? Are you agitating my dots?" he suspiciously asks the stranger.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-05-24, 10:30

There's a neat commercial out for a while now. I think it's for Volvo and it shows a couple driving at night, obviously in a hurry to get somewhere. At the end it looks as though they've arrived to their destination, some little corner diner or food stand.

I just like the music and visuals as they're driving. And the woman is sexy.

YouTube clip here.

Don't know why I like it, but I never turn away from it when it comes on.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2007-05-24, 11:46

The Gatorade commercial about some type of major factory/processing plant/assembly line in Sidney Crosby's head annoys me. Sorry, he's a great hockey player, and he deserves a better commercial than that piece of garbage. You can't even tell what half of the images are that appear, let alone know that it's really a Gatorade commercial. Besides, when the fuck did Gatorade sponsor hockey for anything???

On the other hand, the NHL commercials on NBC for the All-Star Game were absolutely hilarious! The hotel antics one, the Swedish twins, and Vinny LeCavelier and Brad Richards gaming are all funny I think Joe Thornton had one with a bunch of burnt toast, too. Good stuff

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-16, 15:56

Can't remember which company it is (oh yeah, Purina, I think), but I do like the commercial with the dog running around the back yard with a hose in his mouth, spraying the heck out of his master.

The guy is laughing very genuinely as he tries to get away from the spray. Though running the whole time, the dog manages to keep the hose aimed right at him. It's SO cool.

Both he and his dog are having a fantastic time.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-06-16, 20:25

You have to love SportsCenter commercials!

Nascar driver gets his car stolen

Don't Walk

Lebron's Chair

LT and his visor

Rally Monkey gets canned
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-25, 18:30

Sony Cybershot commercial... your dad is not a horse's behind?

Is this commercial weird, or what?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S0WO-yq5B1Q
zsummers
Avast!

2007-06-25, 18:35

Quote:
There's a neat commercial out for a while now. I think it's for Volvo and it shows a couple driving at night, obviously in a hurry to get somewhere. At the end it looks as though they've arrived to their destination, some little corner diner or food stand.

I just like the music and visuals as they're driving. And the woman is sexy.

YouTube clip here.

Don't know why I like it, but I never turn away from it when it comes on.
I believe the diner is a famous hot dog stand in L.A. I drove by it once at around 8 or 9 at night and there was a line around the block.

Cool commercial, too.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-06-25, 23:45

I just saw a commercial for Sprint Mobile Broadband - as the cure for "Connectile Disfunction".

It was pretty good. Had a guy in a cafe' being embarrassed about not being able to connect like everyone else, so he'd just pretend to be checking email, or surfing the web, but he'd close his notebook when someone walked by.

Fairly clever.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-06-26, 09:11

Squarely under the hate category are all of the Vytorin ads. I was reminded this morning just how much I want to find the creators of this collection of pastel nightmares (accompanied by an annoying, foofy jingle that would make even the stodgiest, doily-knitting grandmother proud), and beat them senseless with a frozen ham.

Also in the hate category, any ad that shows a Mom with a knowing smile or smirk on her face, every time junior throws his juice on the floor, because she knows... she's got.... SUPER WIPES! Anger.

...into the light of a dark black night.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-06-28, 21:12

Not sure if this is in here already, and I don't feel like looking through five pages of links, but I love this one.

A'mpd Mobile: Busted

I laugh my ass off every time I see it.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-06-30, 15:21

I really like the vitamin water commercials that played during the NBA playoffs.
Meli

2007-07-01, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
I believe the diner is a famous hot dog stand in L.A. I drove by it once at around 8 or 9 at night and there was a line around the block.
Famous indeed.

This morning I saw a commercial for Travelers Insurance about reattaching rabbit's feet. Sounds kind of weird but I thought it was cute with all the rabbits and their colored paws. Link. I especially liked the swimming rabbit. Didn't know they could do that
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-29, 15:21

I haven't seen it just lately, but I felt a strange aversion for that commercial where an Asian woman is at work, and all nearby stacks of paperwork starting blowing across the room. Everywhere she goes, a wind starts blowing stuff around, and nearly blowing her over.

Since I always clicked away from it, I never knew it was Farmer's Insurance, urging people to buy wind insurance. What a dumb commercial. Why don't they just show people's houses blown apart? Seems like that would get the point across more straightforwardly than the stupid little dramatics they did choose to show.

I have mixed feelings about that (Capital One?) commercial where the lady gets a bad home mortgage that puts a monkey on her back. Everywhere she goes, the monkey wreaks havoc and destruction, breaking expensive glassware in a shop, etc.

Any commercial that causes anxiety, dread or discomfort is something I'm just not interested in watching.

There's a commercial I like that I wanted to mention; but damn, I just can't remember which it is. Amazing how much easier it is to remember the ones we *don't* like.

Oh, and I pretty much continue my loathing for the DiTech commercials. They used to show a creepy, slimeball guy - who was supposed to represent ditech's competitor. But guess what? That creepy, disgusting guy became completely *linked* with ditech - at least, in 'my' mind.

So now, they have a commercial saying "People are smart" - I guess to make up for their previous obnoxious ad that probably brought their business down amazingly. Now, they make a big deal of saying: "Hey, we don't *really* think you all are ignorant twits, and that's why we are proclaiming, at great expense many times per day, that you are in fact 'smart'." Oh brother.

And another thing, BP couldn't be bothered to maintain their pipelines adequately, and when they broke down, caused turmoil and fuel shortages across the nation. But here they are spending an absolute fortune, running constant ads for months about what foresight they have, and how they've invested in the 'future' of energy, when they can't even bother to properly run the business they already have!

I think I'm going to have to write a letter to their public relations officer and advise that they spend all those advertising millions on maintaining their effing pipelines instead. Twits! GRRRRR.

Last edited by Windswept : 2007-07-30 at 15:54.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-07-29, 18:45

I'm a big fan of the new Miller High Life commercials, where the team of guys goes around to confiscate the Miller Lite cases from establishments that are price-gouging.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-08-08, 20:54

This is my favorite commercial of all-time. I haven't seen it for years, but I ran across it online today. I don't know if this has been posted in this thread yet or not, but I had to post it.

Cat herding

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317