User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 17 of 33 First Previous 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21  Next Last Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-01, 08:31

Star Trek Discovery is the perfect example demonstrating how the common denominator for all of these projects is TIME.

I just finished re-watching Star Trek Voyager a few days ago and you can't help but notice how many "small" scenes are peppered through the series - each serving to cement our understanding of the characters' relationships.

Character development is a classic dilemma faced by feature films. It must happen quickly and demonstrably.

I have enjoyed Star Trek Discovery, but it will never compete with any of the 26 episode-per-season Trek series because the characters are still sketches.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-02-01, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Star Trek Discovery is the perfect example demonstrating how the common denominator for all of these projects is TIME.

I just finished re-watching Star Trek Voyager a few days ago and you can't help but notice how many "small" scenes are peppered through the series - each serving to cement our understanding of the characters' relationships.

Character development is a classic dilemma faced by feature films. It must happen quickly and demonstrably.
Yup. All those bottle episodes don't have an important plot per se but help develop the characters.

It's strange. They clearly have much more budget to get production values up, and can avoid many of the "well, we couldn't afford to build this set" workarounds, and yet… the end result doesn't really feel as good. To me.

It's a bit like video games: much more impressive graphics, sure. And celebrities doing voice acting. OK. But… the gameplay? Did the actual gameplay get any better? Nope, all the tech actually distracts from it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-01, 11:05

So should I start watching WandaVision now? I have to admit, I didn't even start to watch it based on the earlier comments in this thread.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-02-02, 06:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So should I start watching WandaVision now? I have to admit, I didn't even start to watch it based on the earlier comments in this thread.
For me the first three episodes were nothing but background noise. Not offensive, but little content to engage with. Fourth episode starts to get interesting and starts to pull something together. I don't know if the fourth was actually that good, or it was more a thank f that the show might actually have some content to make it bearable watching the remainder of the series.

And I am a fan of BB and Saul so I am used to a slow burn, but so far WV is like an adult with a sparkler on Guy Fawkes. In the rain.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-02, 10:05

You paint a picture
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-02-02, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
So, y'all happy NOW? XD
Kind of.

I could have used 5-10 minutes of that at the end of the first three episodes, so I guess my complaint is more about pacing than content now.

(I wonder if this would have been more palatable if they released it all in a single drop than a single episode per week like this.)
Dr. Bobsky

2021-02-03, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yup. All those bottle episodes don't have an important plot per se but help develop the characters.

It's strange. They clearly have much more budget to get production values up, and can avoid many of the "well, we couldn't afford to build this set" workarounds, and yet… the end result doesn't really feel as good. To me.

It's a bit like video games: much more impressive graphics, sure. And celebrities doing voice acting. OK. But… the gameplay? Did the actual gameplay get any better? Nope, all the tech actually distracts from it.
This is a new style in the US so it's taking time for them to understand the limitations of episode limited series. For the most part, Discovery could be a more excellent show if the focused on one or two main characters and didn't attempt to ever show anything else, like what you might imagine a single camera show of our own lives would look like. Ancillary characters only get introduced from the 'narrators' perspective. etc.

UK productions are much better at this, where shows like Fleabag hone in on a single character's perspective...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-04, 01:20

The Expanse hit its season finale this week. It was a slow, deliberate build this time around. Felt smaller. Next season is set to be nuts though.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-02-06, 00:21

WandaVision:

NOW ARE YOU HAPPY?

Jeez, some people have no sense of pacing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-06, 02:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
WandaVision:

NOW ARE YOU HAPPY?

Jeez, some people have no sense of pacing.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2021-02-06, 06:14

Nothing quite like packing 2 minutes of story into 68 minutes of chaff
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-06, 11:25

So, regarding that cameo at the end of yesterday's WandaVision, does this mean…
Spoiler (click to toggle):
that Disney is finally ready to let the X-Men and Avengers share the same universe? Or is this just a wink and a nod to the fans?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-06, 12:06

I heard that's been in the works, but who knows. Would've been nice if all that could've been worked out years ago, although those MCU/Avengers movies would've gotten pretty jam-packed and dense! Those last two nearly killed my eyeballs to death..."well, by all means, just put every-damn-body that's ever lived into one movie, why dontcha? I think you left out President McKinley and that the guy who poured the concrete at Hoover Dam."

I don't watch the show, so please tell me - use spoiler tags if needed, of course - what happened.

Did Wolverine or Halle Berry show up? Or that blue girl with the red hair (I'm so into these things, and know all their names).
Dr. Bobsky

2021-02-06, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
that Disney is finally ready to let the X-Men and Avengers share the same universe? Or is this just a wink and a nod to the fans?
nod... possible reference to alternative universes being in play...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-02-06, 21:06

Definitely that. Absolutely, positively, definitely that.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-02-06, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I don't watch the show, so please tell me - use spoiler tags if needed, of course - what happened.
Final 60 seconds, knock at the door, Wanda opens it up to Pietro standing there. But not Pietro from Avengers: Age of Ultron played by Aaron-Taylor Johnson, Pietro played by Evan Peters from X-Men: Days of Future Past. First canon mutant in the MCU.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-06, 21:35

Interesting.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-02-06, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Superman swoops in with Pikachu and together they all defeat Hans right before Nakatomi Tower blows up
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-06, 23:31

I already saw that, try again. And you left out the part about the Hardy Boys being the reason anyone even knew to look for Hans at that location. Superman was heading to Fort Knox before he got that email.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-09, 09:15

Did you guys happen to see the latest trailer for Falcon and Winter Soldier? That looks really good. Of course trailers almost always make it look good, but it doesn't look like it will be a slow starter at all. I appreciate the humor that has been shown in it rather than all the action. Don't get me wrong, action is good in a "super hero" show... but make me laugh too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-02-09, 23:35

Did not know that was coming out so soon.

The Captain America story line has always been my favorite, so this extension is definitely interesting to me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-03, 16:52

So I finally got caught up on WandaVision and it was an interesting ride. At least I knew going into it that I might have to be bored for a bit. I was glad for the warning too. My old kids watched it as released and kept telling me to watch it. It will be cool to see how the finale goes!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-03-08, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Or it was just a setup for a dick joke.

"Hehe, Bohner"

Another red herring was Anya the Vengeance Demon, who I was sure would be a key player. Alas, she just wanted to hug her daughter again. Great, fun show. I'm sure I'll give it a rewatch fairly soon now that I can do a day-binge.

So it goes.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-03-08, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

"Hehe, Bohner"
Grr.

Although, the appearance of the Great White One was a welcome surprise. Almost made up for the other.

Almost.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2021-03-09, 06:28

Did the season start out slow? Without a doubt.
Did it get better as the season progressed? Without a doubt.

Was the season actually that good? Or was is because of the past history and the Marvel multiverse that had people raving about it?

If I was thinking about recent TV shows that I thought were excellent then I would suggest Dark, though it is made by zee Germans so it is subtitled...

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Dr. Bobsky

2021-03-09, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

"Hehe, Bohner"

Another red herring was Anya the Vengeance Demon, who I was sure would be a key player. Alas, she just wanted to hug her daughter again. Great, fun show. I'm sure I'll give it a rewatch fairly soon now that I can do a day-binge.
I think the town of Westview might have a larger number than expected powered population....
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-09, 10:02

I really enjoyed the series overall. Some of those post credit scenes would have been missed by me if my kids didn't let me know they were there.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-12, 15:27

A new clip from Falcon and Winter Soldier.

I'm really looking forward to this show. I hope it is half as funny as the clips make it.
¡Damned!

2021-03-15, 13:07

Final Trailer for The Falcon and The Winter Soldier is up. More and more interesting...

The lineup for Marvel Phase 4 didn't really pique much of my interest when it was announced, and tbh WandsVision sounded silly as fuck. But wow, I really, really enjoyed it, especially the earlier episodes before it got all Marvel-y. You know what I mean. The 'Making of' episode that aired last week is worth a watch imo. The first episode, "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience", really was. Practical effects and all! Pretty fun to see how they put it all together, and in such a tight timeframe as well.

Excited for F&WS now, and very much looking forward to Loki's series.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-16, 08:03

Yeah, I'm pretty excited too. My kids are bouncing off the walls already waiting for Friday. We don't get to watch it until late Friday though. My daughter has dance and my son and I will wait for her to get back before we watch it.