Mac Pro Pricing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac Pro Pricing
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-12-10, 12:11

It's available to buy, folks.

Bullet points:
  • At first if you clicked on the link it took you to the Trashcan MP page. That's a hell of a bait and switch.
  • The rackmount version is not yet available.
  • Wheels are $400
  • Afterburner is $2000. (Surprisingly reasonable, IMO.)
  • You can configure $25,000 worth of RAM.
  • You can configure it North of $50k if you click all of the big boy boxes.
  • That $50k is sans monitors. So add a couple of the nice ones, you're at $65k.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2019-12-10, 12:52

Hey, stocking stuffers! I can finish my shopping today!

Interesting that they've not put anything about it on their main home page. I know it's not a mainstream, "regular person" product, but they usually devote a little bit on their homepage to new, or "now available" items, if only for 3-4 days. But they know their target demographic knows where to go to get it, so it's not like iPod socks or something.

I hope this proves to be a popular machine for those who need it. How long has that cylindrical thing been around? Six years? That comment from Phil on stage back then hasn't aged well...you "innovated" yourself right into a bit of an underwhelming failure with no legs/headroom that didn't sell worth a rip, so...

Maybe they'll shut up this go-around and let the machine/performance speak for itself.

$52,748 when I max out all the available hardware options.

As with phones, notebooks, watches, etc. do you think they loaned one of these things to the usual writers/reviewers? Does Gruber have one of these on his desk? I would imagine it loads Safari pages really fast!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-12-10, 14:35

I don't know that Gruber is the target market.

Marco Arment, on the other hand.... (and they gave him a demo 16" MBP, so he's on "the list")

In all seriousness, though: I can't imagine many individuals buying these, but for work, I specify and design AV systems for theatres, and 6-10k is reasonable for a medium to low-end lighting or audio controller. Adding one of these for audio or video playback purposes would be entirely uncontroversial. Looking forward to the rack-mount one showing up, that's more our speed.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-12-10, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
As with phones, notebooks, watches, etc. do you think they loaned one of these things to the usual writers/reviewers? Does Gruber have one of these on his desk? I would imagine it loads Safari pages really fast!
MKBHD got one. He rendered video on it almost five times as fast as on the 16-inch MBP.

Maybe they gave Marco Armenia or John Siracusa one?
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2019-12-10, 14:57

Probably. Expect Siracusa’s 120,000-word review sometime next week, chapters 1-17.

PS - That’s not a slam...back when I was into this stuff a bit more, I always enjoyed his OS X write-ups at Ars Technica(?). I learned more from him than any other individual or website, all those years!

EDIT: First impressions, discussion, etc. from “tech” YouTubers.

Last edited by pscates2.0 : 2019-12-10 at 23:38.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2019-12-10, 15:17

One young woman bought the Mac, two displays and two of the stands. The unboxing alone is taking about 25 minutes. Very large, built in handles, etc. As if usually the case, the packaging from Apple is nicer/more “designed” than the finished product from some other companies. This may have been one of the final cluster of things Ive worked on? I guess we’ll know in a year or two.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-12-10, 16:02

One thing that's unusual is that they're already preannouncing a spec bump.

Not just the "coming soon" $500 more rack mount variant, but also:

Quote:
Coming soon:
Radeon Pro W5700X with 16GB of GDDR6 memory
Two Radeon Pro W5700X with 16GB of GDDR6 memory each

Coming soon:
8TB SSD storage
It makes sense because the Mac Pro as introduced today ships with the previous-generation Vega AMD graphics and up to 4 TB SSD, whereas 16-inch MacBook Pro already offers Navi graphics and up to 8 TB SSD.

I wouldn't be surprised if "soon" means February-ish, and:
  • that day, they just upgrade all graphics options as mentioned above, at the same pricing as before;
  • likewise, they just double each SSD option. That means it'll go from 512 to 8 rather than 256 to 4, and it also means it will no longer start at 256 (which is dumb);
  • aaaaaand maybe they'll also upgrade the iMac Pro that day. The iMac Pro could now get Xeon W-2200 chips, could also use nicer graphics, and of course the various additions to RAM and SSD.

(Wildcard: the Mac Pro now comes with a new silver/black keyboard/trackpad/mouse color scheme. Will they move the iMac Pro to this? Will they eventually get rid of one of these three colors, or will they eventually offer the Magic * in all three variants?)
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2019-12-10, 16:14

I saw those "coming soon" options as well...a first. They never let those cats out of the bag like that. I wonder if it'll hurt sales? People thinking "hell, I've waited this long, what's another few months..."?

Interesting. I wonder why they'd do that, knowing it may encourage further fence-sitting/waiting?

Last edited by pscates2.0 : 2019-12-10 at 23:39.
¡Damned!

2019-12-10, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
(Wildcard: the Mac Pro now comes with a new silver/black keyboard/trackpad/mouse color scheme. Will they move the iMac Pro to this? Will they eventually get rid of one of these three colors, or will they eventually offer the Magic * in all three variants?)
Wow, good eye on that.
chucker

2019-12-10, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Wow, good eye on that.
I can’t take the credit. MKBHD talked about it. And the order page makes it clear that these are (currently) exclusive to a new MP order.
surjones

2019-12-10, 23:56

Pricing Aside - I edit 4K video/Drone/And some Premade Animation graphics. - Currently I have. 5K Late 2015 iMac, it's slooooing my down. Will the new 16 " MBP be able to do a better job, or should I keep my already placed order for the 12 Core Mac Pro and then have to buy a monitor as well - I do a lot of Photography as well - so it would be nice not have to travel with this sucker. but I travel with the iMac now. soooo help a brotha out!
chucker

2019-12-11, 06:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I saw those "coming soon" options as well...a first. They never let those cats out of the bag like that. I wonder if it'll hurt sales? People thinking "hell, I've waited this long, what's another few months..."?

Interesting. I wonder why they'd do that, knowing it may encourage further fence-sitting/waiting?
It's unusual of them to do, and does theoretically risk the Osborne effect, but in practice, I don't think so.

Some people will be content with the current Mac Pro line-up. They've waited for years, and now get an extremely powerful (and pricey) machine. Others will wait another few months* for better (and I'm guessing cheaper) BTO options. This does mean Apple will miss out on some revenue for the December quarter, sure. But it'll be an extremely small slice (0.1%, if even that), and of that slice, most people will eventually buy in the next quarter. In the meantime, Apple won't run out of money (unlike Osborne), and those people are also unlikely to not buy the Mac Pro altogether because of the pre-announced options.

So it's unusual, yeah, but the risk is rather small.

*) Siracusa asks:

Quote:
If anyone at Apple knows when the “coming soon” Radeon Pro W5700X GPU option will be available for purchase on the Mac Pro, please let me know. Will it be before the December 31 cutoff on the Apple Card 6% cash back deal? (Twitter DM or email my last name at Gmail.)
Surely if they could ship these new options before December 31, they would've just offered them on the 10th and not bothered with the original revision.

I don't expect these options to appear before mid-January at the earliest.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2019-12-11, 11:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjones View Post
Pricing Aside - I edit 4K video/Drone/And some Premade Animation graphics. - Currently I have. 5K Late 2015 iMac, it's slooooing my down. Will the new 16 " MBP be able to do a better job, or should I keep my already placed order for the 12 Core Mac Pro and then have to buy a monitor as well - I do a lot of Photography as well - so it would be nice not have to travel with this sucker. but I travel with the iMac now. soooo help a brotha out!
The 16" MBP is quite a lot faster than your 2015 iMac in every way. Storage, RAM, CPU, GPU, bus. Literally everything is better (except maybe screen size) and obviously the portability factor should be considered. Current testing seems to indicate the new Mac Pro is about twice as fast as the MBP, which is saying more about the laptop than the desktop! If I were you—and I were traveling—I'd opt for the laptop w/32GB RAM and a good portable SSD. That Mac Pro is gonna be heavy. In fact, it's going to be a lot heavier than your iMac, especially considering you have to lug around a display as well.

Boise State! … Boise State! … Boise State!
chucker

2019-12-11, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjones View Post
Currently I have. 5K Late 2015 iMac, it's slooooing my down.
How much RAM? Fusion Drive, or SSD?
surjones

2019-12-11, 21:18

thanks for the feedback! I'm gonna keep the Mac Pro 12 Core - I actually found someone who needed money locally and picked up a MacBook Pro i9 6 Core with 32gb RAM, and 52gb SSD for $2300.