MacBook line-up refresh!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook line-up refresh!
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-08-20, 22:04

I just bought a new MacBook Pro and I've never been more confused about what to get in my life. I was upgrading from a 2013 MBP (retina 13") that had just about outlived its usefulness.

Between the different processor options and the fact that I couldn't easily get 16 gigs of RAM without jumping up to the 15" (either in actual size or at least in price) was crazy making. I thought about the low-end MBP with 2 ports but speccing it out with a 512 gig SSD put it up in price next to the 4 port models. And from there it's a vacuum straight up to the $2k range. And then you're looking at the base 15" price range.

In the end, it came down to a couple of things:

1) I really prefer the 13" form factor
2) The graphics capability could be made up by getting an eGPU if I was missing performance when at my desk.
3) Price. Price wasn't a primary factor but it's ultimately what clinched it. At the end of the day, the 15" I wanted was almost $1k more than the 13" I wanted.

Both the 13 and 15 came with compromises. It was just a matter of which compromises I decided to make.

After using my 2013 MBP for the last 6 years, I've got to say, I greatly prefer typing on the butterfly keyboard. It feels more responsive. The old keyboard feels like you need to press keys for a mile before they register. If the keyboard holds up, I'll be happy with the change.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
kieran
Tweeting @kierankelly

2019-08-22, 11:11

I just got the updated 2019 13” MBP with TouchBar a few weeks ago.

I’ve been on the butterfly keyboard for a while since I was on the 2015 MacBook, so I don’t think it’s that bad. I however, have not had a problem with stuck keys, so that probably helps.

I really wish they could take the keyboard from the iPad Pro Smart Cover. That is a great keyboard.