AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Any Peloton users out there?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Any Peloton users out there?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-08-21, 20:36

About 3 months ago I decided that I just couldn't run with any regularity. I just have bad knees and nothing I tried would enable me to run enough to get good at it. I constantly sucked because I couldn't run for more than a couple of weeks at a time and not feel wrecked.

So I looked into other ways to get cardio. I don't have a gym membership and I haven't had one since we moved into our current house 3 years ago and I got a nice weight set in the basement. I didn't really feel like joining one just to use their cardio equipment.

I was talking to someone about exercise and he mentioned that he loves his peloton. I looked into it and the tech seemed very interesting to me (I'm talking tech as a platform/service and not the tech on the bike itself). I did some research into stationary bikes and the bike itself seemed to be pretty highly regarded if somewhat overpriced.

The used market seemed pretty brisk so I decided to buy one knowing I'd be out not much money if I didn't take to it. I found one used nearby with the right size shoes, coincidentally, for me and my wife. So, as I do, I bought it.

I had never taken a spin class before and only occasionally ride my bike with my kids around town. I thought I was in pretty decent shape so I hopped on and got my ass kicked in my first class. It was harder than any workout I'd ever done. But it was quite fun, too.

I tried a couple of instructors, found some playlists I liked and some instructors who weren't over the top or that made you do a ton of tapbacks or anything. Just some solid cycling instructors.

Then I found out about their power zones training and that was it. Really rigorous training with a sensible theory behind it. I was hooked. I've been riding 5 or 6 times/week for almost 3 months. I've noticed my heart rate decrease significantly on the same rides while producing far more power than before. I'm just getting stronger.

I went on an 8 mile hike up some mountains a couple of weeks back with some friends. I smoked them there and back, even my marathon running friend.

I'm aware of some the criticisms like cost (it wasn't cheap) and the monthly membership and that the bike is just a dumb bike without it. That there's variability in the calibration. That the LOOK Delta clips aren't used on any other bike.

But still. It's been literally remarkable for me. I haven't lost a pound of weight but my 31" waist pants are starting to fall off. Before I started, 32" was more comfortable for me.

Anyway, any other riders out there? If you're curious and willing to work at it (and have the cash for one), you should try it. I highly recommend them. (And, no, I'm not getting paid for this post!)

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-08-22, 09:00

I've been thinking about getting one the couple years. I have a really nice elliptical in my home gym that I use almost daily but I've been considering something just to mix it up every once in awhile. The yearly subscription cost is kind of a pain the ass but I've heard nothing but great things from them.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-22, 09:14

They dropped the requirement for a yearly subscription. Of course, you've still got to get the bike or have a stationary bike you can use with their app. But if you try it and don't like it, you'll not be on the hook for a year sub in addition to the bike.

You can also use their app if you've got a bike to try it with. It's $20/month. It's not the same experience because you don't get the metrics on the tablet but it's good to see how the instructors are.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-08-22, 11:08

This is something I’ve been thinking about for a few years. Definitely something that would be nice to have.

Just a little difficult to have in a one bedroom Manhattan apartment. Looking to move in a few months to get a bedroom for the little one, so that may get us some more room in order to make this happen.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-22, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
This is something I’ve been thinking about for a few years. Definitely something that would be nice to have.

Just a little difficult to have in a one bedroom Manhattan apartment. Looking to move in a few months to get a bedroom for the little one, so that may get us some more room in order to make this happen.
It'd be tough in a one bedroom. They are silent when in use if you've got bluetooth headphones aside from the snap when you clip in/out. It's a big upfront investment but if you use it regularly, it's worth it, IMHO.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-23, 09:13

I looked into these though I was looking at their treadmill. I ended up going with a Horizon instead because I couldn't justify the cost and I'm not really going to use a coach.

I have to say though, I love the concept and can see how it is a really solid way to get a group workout without the group in your house!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-25, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I looked into these though I was looking at their treadmill. I ended up going with a Horizon instead because I couldn't justify the cost and I'm not really going to use a coach.

I have to say though, I love the concept and can see how it is a really solid way to get a group workout without the group in your house!
The tread is super expensive. The Peloton classes are great. I don't run so the tread wasn't even in consideration. I'm not sure that I'd be as into the biking thing without the coaches, to be honest. The programs are fantastic. I don't know how they are on the running side but I imagine they are just as effective.

Regardless, these connected devices are really doing a number on so many economies.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-25, 16:43

I’ve been thinking about getting one of these. They’ve become super popular in Portland, it’s like a new religion. Bri showed me a blueprint for a new apartment building where each unit had a dedicated Peloton room. Like, it says right on the blueprint, “PELOTON.” That sort of brand equity is just wild to me.

Like Tesla, I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple ends up owning ‘em.

We moved to the ‘burbs last year so we don’t have a gym in our apartment building any more. Our old apartment had a gym for its tenants and there was a spin class in one of the retail spaces on the ground floor, it was the best. I have access to a gym at work and I told myself I was gonna be one of those up-at-five people who have a great workout in the morning but I…haven’t been making the most of it. It’s hard to get there before the day starts and afterwards I just want to go home, and since it’s before my commute home the gym there still feels like “being at work” in a way the old spin class didn’t. Also, the showers suck and I’m a delicate flower and like showering in my rainwater shower at home. But I know I need to do more cardio…

A few years ago I dismissed Pelotons as Juicero-style playthings for Silicon Valley tech bros with too much money. But now I kind of, like, want one? What has happened to me

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-25, 18:09

I totally get that "What has happened to me?" when it comes to the Peloton. I felt that way myself for the longest time. If you can swing the initial cost, it's worth it as long as you find spin class something you'll do. I wasn't sure that I'd be into it but since I don't have a gym membership and I found a used one, I figured it'd be a low risk experiment.

It's legit as far a platform. What's convinced me of that is the number of actual athletes who use it and they have an entire training program for those people who want to be better cyclists. Their business model also seems sustainable. They should be making a profit right out of the gate. Their bikes are expensive, even compared to their other flywheel-based competitors like Keiser but given that they've said they breakeven on each bike, they really can't sell them for cheaper.

Their $40/month membership isn't bad at all if you're a moderate user but also ensures they're not going to be operating at a loss. It might seem weird that as a customer, I'm concerned about their sustainability but if you buy into this ecosystem, their survival is important for the value proposition of the bike.

Anyway, get one. I can't recommend it more highly.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-05, 16:33

May as well stuff this in here.

Holy cow, that is just hard to watch. Peloton is recalling a ton of treadmills after a kid was killed (not this kid)!

I'm glad I'm not them right now. Is there no one at these companies who sits down and tries to figure out how their thing might do something like this? I don't know, but it seems like there might not be at Peloton. I'm no safety engineer and may have never thought of it myself, but I've been on a treadmill or two lately and they all have a "don't drag the kid underneath" guard of some sort.

The kid that died was killed after this video made the rounds, so I suspect Peloton is going to get hammered into bankruptcy by the resulting lawsuit that would seem to support the fore-knowledge of danger where no action was taken.

Yoyps!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-05-05, 16:39

This is terrible.

Where the fuck were the parents?

No chance Peloton goes into bankruptcy though.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-05, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Where the fuck were the parents?
At the risk of things getting all political and such, we live in an age where parents let "things" raise their kids.

But!

When I was a kid, my parents let the wilds raise us a lot of the time (we rode in the back of the pickup, swam in the canal, and wandered off into the mountains unattended—All. The. Time!), and here I am typing away. So, sometimes accidents happen. That said, I suspect no one sat down (parents included) and asked themselves, "Do poodles ever get sucked under there?".

Poodles, however, are expendable*, but little children are not! Not ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
No chance Peloton goes into bankruptcy though.
Perhaps not, but Peloton issued an "Oh, shit! We'll give you a full refund and please send it back right now!" to everyone that bought one of these things. Because YIKES!

* Yes, I know I'll spend the rest of the day ducking fire and brimstone for saying this. It's a joke, people!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-05, 16:58

So to be clear here, I have a treadmill and it is conceivable that one of my kids could do the same thing. Perhaps my treadmill being a normal belt style it might slip more, but I've seen my kids to crazy things not thinking it would "bite" them. If you've ever had kids you know they will do what they want when you're not looking. Given the kids both left the room it is safe to assume they went running to mom/dad to let them know what happened.

I don't think a recall was needed for that. I mean, it is a treadmill. Yes there is a chance you can get injured on one. That is a chance we all take having one. I feel for those kids though. That was grueling to watch. I would hate for it to have been one of my kids! Next thing you know the government will force us to put key locks on the things so we can prevent kids from turning them on.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-05, 17:06

I think there is a clear safety flaw with this particular design. Those things have a lot of torque. What I also find interesting is the lack of a safety release. Almost all treadmills have them at this point. Not sure about Peloton.

I'm a huge fan of parents keeping tabs on their kids, but you have to let the little buggers run loose from time to time. I remember sitting on the couch when my daughter (who was about 3 at the time) fell toward the window and got her neck caught in the drawstring and nearly strangled. It was a fight to get her untangled, and it happened right in front of us.

Bad things happen!

However, if a bad thing happens and you don't figure out why and how to prevent it, then more bad things can happen.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-05, 17:50

Ironing boards...how did they ever come about?

Everything in existence is a deathtrap if you try hard enough.

But I heard these machines are pretty powerful, so it never occurred to me someone could get to them like that. I can't access the video, so I don't know the whole story. But it sounds absolutely awful. You go and spend thousands on a trendy, overpriced piece of exercise gear and it promptly kills your kid. I smell an eight-figure settlement.

I read on MacRumors the other day that those new Apple AirTag tracker things could present a battery choking/swallowing hazard because apparently the batteries are too easy to release/remove.

I find it amusing that Apple truly can't win. If they'd sealed it shut, like every other thing they sell, they would've been hammered for that ("landfill fetishists!"). So, for once, they make the batteries user replaceable and now we gotta endure the "think of the children!" screaming. Although, from all I've seen/read, Apple could've made it a little tougher to get to the battery (a screw or something). It does seem pretty easy to release. And kids will indeed eat anything they see. Especially if it even remotely resembles a piece of candy/gum. I don't even have kids and even I know this.

As for Peloton, they seem to eat it on the PR front quite a bit, don't they? Aren't they the ones everyone got up their ass about a year or so ago because that commercial where The Awful Husband™ got one for his wife (so he wouldn't have to bang the babysitter?), and everyone on the Internet proceeded to lose their shit over it, in a rush to see who could be the most offended/outraged, on behalf of the (fictional) wife?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-05 at 18:24.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-05, 17:53

I love Brian Regan!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-11, 08:47

Speaking of Peloton, other than prescription medication ("ask your doctor about..."/"side effects may include...") and car insurance (GEICO, Progressive, Allstate, Farmer's, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, The General, etc.), I don't think any other company runs more commercials than Peloton. I don't watch a ton of TV but when I do it seems that every commercial break does indeed include a Peloton spot (along with the others above). Their marketing/advertising budget seems to be quite healthy.

I've had the TV on in the background, low volume, for about 35 minutes as I'm chugging away with some projects and I've already seen/heard three across two channels. And since I'm not fully paying attention, there could've been more than I didn't notice. I'm betting there were!

Ah...make that four. One just aired as I was writing this post! There seem to be two currently in heavy rotation, but the one I constantly see is the pretty young woman getting up in the morning to start her workout. That thing comes on all the time.

"Until next time...".
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-11, 08:50

That monthly subscription is VERY valuable. Even if they stopped hardware they would still have a large income. Not shocked they are spending more on advertising. Plus, most is reruns and they still get paid monthly for them. I'm sure there is some new content and even live stuff, I just don't know for sure since I don't pay for it.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-11, 08:56

Ah, I didn't know it was that sort of thing. Okay...yeah, like Disney+ bringing in gazillions, those monthly subscriptions are gonna help pay for a lot of other things. Can you own/use one of these things as just a "dumb" bike, or is the monthly training thing a required part of the "complete Peloton package"? Nobody's buying these things and not doing the subscription training I assume? Or is the hardware itself so good that some fork over for that and just do their own regimen (just ride whenever they want without someone on screen).
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-05-11, 09:11

The whole point is the subscription. The hardware and software go hand in hand. But not only do they do cycling, they have outdoor running classes, core, strength, barre, pilates, yoga, ect. There are new and live classes daily. I bought one about a year and a half ago and it has absolutely changed my life.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-11, 09:19

Interesting. That's very good! I know someone who bought one about a year or so ago, and, after a promising, enthusiastic start, she seems to use it to hang sweaters/blouses on. That's an expensive hanger system! I made the mistake of pointing that out once. Once.

I think that happens a lot, with exercise gear in general. All these outfits probably see a huge surge of sales in January of every year. Many stick with it and truly change their lives (whatever the product/device), and others fizzle out after 2-4 months and it just becomes a modern art sculpture/hanging rack taking up space in the corner of a room.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-11, 09:30

It is generally true of most home equipment though. I have equipment in my home and there were periods where it collected more dust than it got used. I also got fatter and fatter. Such a shame too. I've turned it around now though. My gear gets used all the time. I think the best part is there are so many options for good home workouts now that it is hard to imagine what it was like before that.

My "classes" are all with Fitness+ so I do get the appeal of Peloton. I just wasn't willing to pay their prices. I'm guessing that right now, if I were to compare services and classes that Peloton is superior to Fitness+ just from maturity of the product point of view. This market as a whole though it really heating up thanks to everyone being told to stay inside for the last year.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-13, 09:59

Note: I've been up since about 6:10am and threw the TV on Food Network (and HGTV, Trvl) throughout the morning as I get ready, start some work (at home...yay!). In just under five hours, across about three cable networks, I've seen/heard a Peloton commercial 14 times.

So, yeah. If I'm not getting it from GEICO and Otezla nonstop, it's the Peloton "crushing it" spots. That's a very "out there" outfit. They're sinking mucho $$$ into their TV presence! And there's a similar series out there from NordicTrack, of impossibly attractive, already-in-shape people waking up and getting virtually fist-bumped/high-fived by their onscreen trainer.

"Come on, you got this...crush it! Crush it some more! Stay with me, yeah! Oh, you crushed it!"
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-13, 10:31

You know, it would be a better add to see "fat" people starting and time-lapsing through them slimming up using their services. That would be more realistic for their targets.

I would have been a good candidate for that with the Tread+ (or whatever it is called).