Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

It's Grilling Time 2009

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
It's Grilling Time 2009
Matsu
Veteran Member

2009-05-03, 13:04

Summer's approaching, the last few days in T.O have been practically perfect outdoor cooking weather: not too cold, not hot. Just perfect for late evening grilling on the BBQ.

Let's share some tips, tricks, recipes, etc.. for the 2009 Season.

I'll start. Clean your grill. More on this in a sec.

We've had a Weber Genesis for just over a year. It doesn't have a lot of extra features, but it's quite sturdy, with a very even heat distribution - virtually no hot spots - and it doesn't smoke unless you're competely negligent (*more on this too) which is a good design especially for our balcony. However, over the winter I was a little disappointed with the max surface temp the grill could achieve. Lid closed, it could hit 600+, but just an inch or so off the grates i didn't feel it was radiating the same amount of heat anymore. Nothing like the commercial stuff I've cooked on at charity BBQs.

Then I cleaned it, and it was disgusting, but worth it. We grill a lot of fish - the oil that drips down is particularly nasty stinky stuff. I might not have thought about it except for the small grease fire I started in the drip pan last time. Talk about flame broiled!

Oven cleaner - doesn't work too well. Stainless cleaner on the other hand works fantastically well on everything, including the stainless, enamel, and cast aluminium parts. The label says the stuff isn't for cooking surfaces, but I run the grates through the dishwasher afterwards to give them a really good clean/rinse. Took out the burner baffles and gave them a good scrub in the sink, cleaned the whole interior of the BBQ and put it all back in. Spotless. As an extra step, I wrapped the drip tray and bottom pan in a heavy aluminium foil.

When I turned it back on, the temperature was noticeably higher. I can only guess that it relies to some degree on radiated heat. Max temp is just shy of 700 (lid closed) but it gets there a whole lot faster, and when it's open I can't get my fingers quite so close the grates any more. I wonder if the shiny aluminium foil is also contributing -- makes me wonder if I could fabricate a set of shiny stainless baffles to enhance the effect?

Recipes:

This is really simple: I often throw a little lemon (those sweet tangerine looking ones, edit: Meyer lemons! so my wife tells me) with some salt and pepper and whatever herbs you like onto a salmon fillet, or black cod and grill just long enough to leave the centre soft. Also like to spice up a veggie burger with a nice basting of chipotle. For the cod another good one is foil or parchment with garlic, lemon, salt, pepper and a stupid amount of butter, it opens up nicely and really soaks in the butter.

Last edited by Matsu : 2009-05-03 at 16:29.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2009-05-03, 14:11

No tips - but for those who love bacon, these recipes and facts may be up your alley.

The BAK-47:

More here:http://www.geekologie.com/2009/04/da...s_the_bak4.php

Also, I believe this has been mentioned before:www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Finally, as referenced by DF... Bacon sandwhich really does cure a hangover:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...-hangover.html

All I want is a simple life
twitter
addabox
Veteran Member

2009-05-03, 14:15

When the Swine Flu mutates again to produce morbidly obese, slow moving zombies, the BAK-47 will be both the cause and our only hope.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-03, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
When the Swine Flu mutates again to produce morbidly obese, slow moving zombies...
How will we tell when that happens again?
artesc

2009-05-03, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
How will we tell when that happens again?
LOL
addabox
Veteran Member

2009-05-03, 14:26

The zombies will be better dressed.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-05-03, 14:57

I wonder if it's time to have a Swine Flu version of Godwin's Law.
¡Damned!

2009-05-03, 15:04

I am the master of charcoal grilling. I'll post my favorites in the coming days.

But it is Sunday, and I am also the master of Sunday. Mexican eggs and Meet The Press to begin, a long walk with Britta to work off breakfast, and then right into Drambuie and IPA for the Tigers game. Being that the game just finished, and Verlander is the fucking rock, I'm well into being a bit buzzed.

So yeah. I'll post some tidbits later in howe to eek out the love from a charcoal Weber.

Oh, and GO TIGERS!!!! Fucking A. The boys make me proud sometimes.

So it goes.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2009-05-03, 16:40

I haven't rotisseried anything yet. Maybe something wrapped in Bacon? hmmm...
artesc

2009-05-03, 17:36

Smoking meat is where it's all at. Hours upon hours in low heat, slathered with secret-sauces, moist, succulent, tender, delicious.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-05-03, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesc View Post
Smoking meat is where it's all at. Hours upon hours in low heat, slathered with secret-sauces, moist, succulent, tender, delicious.
Mmmm...

Just be sure that the "sauce" isn't strictly vinegar based. I say "sauce" because if it's mostly just vinegar, it certainly does not qualify as a sauce, non-air-quoted.

vinegar "sauce"

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-05-03, 17:45

Though some amount of cider vinegar can do wonders for a sauce.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2009-05-03, 17:54

I was thinking up an ideal rotisserie contraption the other day for just such a mission. Rather than the traditional drip pan, something just high enough to cath the bottom of the roast as it rotates. Auto basting! The sause comes to a boil eventually, filling the cooker with aromatic steam, and the drippings from the meat fall back into the sauce, creating a vat of greasy goodness?

Some adjustment for changing fluid levels and it could work quite well I think...

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-05-03, 18:07

I am really going to love this thread. I am a grilling amateur, and am quite eager to learn from those more experienced than I.
artesc

2009-05-03, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Mmmm...

Just be sure that the "sauce" isn't strictly vinegar based.
But of course! A sauce with no 'sweet' factor is definitely no sauce. I'm a big fan of tomato, brown(ed) sugars, and balsamic vinegars. However, we certainly cannot forget the 'spice' factor. Mmmm...roasted peppers, Mmm...roasted ancho chiles....roasted garlic....

Oh man! I'm making myself drool.

artesc all the way!
judeobscure

2009-05-03, 18:47

I usually clean most of the grill parts in the clean cycle on the self-cleaning oven.
artesc

2009-05-03, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeobscure View Post
I usually clean most of the grill parts in the clean cycle on the self-cleaning oven.
Gasoline works well. Of course, you have to wash everything afterwards.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-05-03, 20:35

Just remember, let the meat rest 10-15 minutes after you're done grilling or roasting it.

I don't eat red meat, but I can grill chicken or fish like nobody's business - all on my cast iron skillet (which doubles as a pancake griddle). Though, my favorite way to cook chicken these days is [b]slow roasting[b]. And by "slow", I mean really slow. About 4-5 hours at 225F.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2009-05-04, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Just remember, let the meat rest 10-15 minutes after you're done grilling or roasting it.

I don't eat red meat, but I can grill chicken or fish like nobody's business - all on my cast iron skillet (which doubles as a pancake griddle). Though, my favorite way to cook chicken these days is [b]slow roasting[b]. And by "slow", I mean really slow. About 4-5 hours at 225F.
Oh, man. There's a place in West Yellowstone, MT that slow-cooks ribs for 8 hours at 200Ëš in their own barbecue sauce. *SO* good.

We're going up there this summer and I'm drooling already.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-05-04, 02:38

A couple weeks ago the grocery store had a 2-for-1 deal on beef tenderloin steaks. Jumped on those babies, put some Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Rub on 'em, and cooked them to medium rare on my friend's rooftop grill. They were to die for. Wawaweewa.

Next time we go grilling I'm planning on doing a pork tenderloin. Not sure how I'll season it... bacon-wrapped would be fun, but there are plenty of options.
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-05-04, 05:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Oh, man. There's a place in West Yellowstone, MT that slow-cooks ribs for 8 hours at 200Ëš in their own barbecue sauce. *SO* good.

We're going up there this summer and I'm drooling already.
Do you remember the name of the joint? I'd put that one on my list for the next time we are down there.

There's also a place in Bozeman that does good southern BBQ - Ribs, Brisket, Pulled Pork, Chili Cheese Grits, Fried Okra... the whole nine yards. It's called the Bar3 BBQ, I believe.

My current grill is on it's last legs. A couple of weeks ago, I tried to dump the snow off the lid to use it - but it was heavy, wet, snow that was iced on. The weight yanked it out of my hand and snapped the lid off. It was well past needing to be replaced, so it didn't hurt my feelings.

But now I need to convince the wife to let me get my Big Green Egg that I've been lusting for.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!