User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Problems with iTunes playback

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Problems with iTunes playback
bilo__baggins

2005-07-31, 03:43

Since I upgraded to a PowerMac G5, I have found regular interruptions to playback of Apple Lossless tracks in iTunes. At variable intervals the music stops playing for about half a second, then continues. This coincides with a large spike of disk write activity in the Activity Monitor. It happens even when no other software is running. I just cannot work out why it's happening.

The same songs on my iPod play perfectly. No other software experiences these interruptions (including video playback in DVD Player, or audio playback in Garageband or Cubase SX).

It happens both during playback through the built in audio outputs of the G5, and when playing via AirTunes.

The only cure I have found so far is watching the activity monitor intently. It never seems to do it then... (the reason I know I get the disk write spike is if I have activity monior open in the back ground, then after it happens I look and see the spike moving across the graph!).