User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Intel iMac Owners: Is it quiet?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Intel iMac Owners: Is it quiet?
Fooboy

2006-04-03, 21:56

I am about to sell my powerbook, and I had bought a 1.8 17" iMac G5 and discovered the lower fan buzzed ... it was so annoying I RMA'ed it (after having a powerbook, I have come to expect and love a quiet mac).

Anyways - have heard that the new Intel iMacs are very quiet, but I was just wondering if any OWNERS who have had it a while could confirm this. They all sound quiet in the bustiling apple stores, so I am really seeking the subtleties only someone who works on an iMac for long hours in a quiet room or office would note.

Thanks!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-04-03, 22:02

Mine's quiet as a mouse. I can barely hear it, even when encoding a video into h.264 while ripping a dvd.
RichieB

2006-04-03, 22:04

No noises (Fan/HDD/DVD) at all unless I put my ear right next to the machine. Great design.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-04-03, 22:13

I so want one of these iMacs ... got my tax return spent already!
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-04-03, 22:27

I'm guessing the 1.8 iMac which buzzed was a rev. A.
I had a rev B. iMac G5 which was pretty quiet already, but this Mac Duo Core 20" I picked up is even more so.

I don't think you'll find any Mac quieter except for the discontinued fanless Cube.
macadoodle

2006-04-08, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
I'm guessing the 1.8 iMac which buzzed was a rev. A.
I had a rev B. iMac G5 which was pretty quiet already, but this Mac Duo Core 20" I picked up is even more so.

I don't think you'll find any Mac quieter except for the discontinued fanless Cube.
yup, the intel iMac I have is much quieter than the G5 iMacs. I think it also has to do with the fact that the sound of the fan is much more appealing.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-04-08, 12:54

The Rev. 2 (non-iSight) iMac G5 was one of the loudest Macs that I have heard. I've replaced a faulty fan and it still has a distinct humming sound. I've resorted to wearing headphones or playing music while using it. You do hear a lot of new music this way, however.

From what I've seen/heard/witnessed, the Intel iMacs are VERY quiet and seem more reliable then previous iMacs.
macleod
Now in lower-caseâ„¢!

2006-04-08, 13:14

How do I know if the iMac that I am ordering will be a newer revision? I am going to order a iMac 20" with the 500GB HD and the ugraded ram and video card from the Apple store online. This will be a new revision because of the BTO options right?
Doogen Of Doom

2006-04-08, 13:43

They are alot more quiet. more info http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...topic3973.html --- BUT keep in mind that some of your powerpc apps wont work that well if at all on a Intel mac. more info http://www.macintouch.com/imacintel/rosettacompat.html
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-08, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
How do I know if the iMac that I am ordering will be a newer revision? I am going to order a iMac 20" with the 500GB HD and the ugraded ram and video card from the Apple store online. This will be a new revision because of the BTO options right?
Seeing as there is only one Intel iMac revision, you should be safe.
macleod
Now in lower-caseâ„¢!

2006-04-08, 13:53

Haha. Sorry I am new to the Mac world. Well actually I am just returning. I had a Powerbook G3 and loved it. And now after a short time of windows xp I am sick of it and want back into the world of Mac.
Paranoid666au

2006-04-09, 07:28

My intel iMac is very quiet. In a situation where there is no noise and you can hear pin drop, you can hear the hum of the hard dive and on mine there is some kind of buzzing noise but it's barely audible.

Even running the CPU at full tilt and there's no fan noise. A very quite computer and it's bloody awesum.
Bunga

2006-04-09, 09:34

Very quiet... now the noise on my desk comes from the external USB harddrive.
Unless I'm blasting some music.
BFG

2006-04-09, 10:18

Quote:
The Rev. 2 (non-iSight) iMac G5 was one of the loudest Macs that I have heard. I've replaced a faulty fan and it still has a distinct humming sound. I've resorted to wearing headphones or playing music while using it. You do hear a lot of new music this way, however.
I have a Quicksilver G4 (DP1Ghz), and its officially the loudest Computer apple have created to date (if i remember rightly!) the radeon 9800pro GPU and the extra internal HD don't help at all to the point where i sometimes get confused if there is a cocorde taking off above me when i turn the computer on...

Mr Chuckles the Nipple Monkey
2.66Mac Pro 1900XT and lots of goodies
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-04-10, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy
it was so annoying I RMA'ed it