AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Got 2 cell phones? Cook an egg.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Got 2 cell phones? Cook an egg.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-06-30, 11:37

Seems like the "cell phones are harmful" paranoiacs' claims weren't ignorant and baseless after all...

http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/Ne...ll_phone.shtml

I'm not really concerned because I rarely make a >5 minute call, but for those who spend an hour on the phone, sucks to be you.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-06-30, 11:39

Oh Noes! Teh Phone Is Cooking My Brain!!!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-30, 11:46

Crap. Now I'll have to listen to my Dad rant at me for an hour about how I shouldn't be using a cell phone anymore. Nevermind that I'm rarely on one for more than five minutes except when he calls to tell me I shouldn't use them.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-06-30, 12:14

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-06-30, 12:23

*hits self on the head for not doing more research*
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-06-30, 12:28

Don't get me wrong, ABB, but think for a moment: why does it take an oven with several kilowatts to cook an egg? And how many people spend hours on the phone without literally frying their heads? This doesn't hold up to even the first bit of skepticism.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-06-30, 12:38

Yeah. I was just on the phone for 20 minutes or so, my cell phone didn't even get cold it was so not-hot.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-06-30, 12:53

One of the other sites referenced by the museumofhoaxes.com article:

http://www.wymsey.co.uk/wymchron/cooking.htm

Notice the URL... "wymsey", a phonetic version of "whimsy", which means "a silly joke".
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-30, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Crap. Now I'll have to listen to my Dad rant at me for an hour about how I shouldn't be using a cell phone anymore. Nevermind that I'm rarely on one for more than five minutes except when he calls to tell me I shouldn't use them.

Heh. That's pretty funny, Dave.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-30, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Seems like the "cell phones are harmful" paranoiacs' claims weren't ignorant and baseless after all...

http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/Ne...ll_phone.shtml

I'm not really concerned because I rarely make a >5 minute call, but for those who spend an hour on the phone, sucks to be you.
Hey, 'beans, you should change your link to the 'printer friendly' version, so a bunch of the words aren't chopped off.

http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/pr...ll_phone.shtml

I think if there's even a small amount of radiation there, it can't be good over the long run for those who use their phones constantly. But maybe convenience is worth whatever risk there might be.

Police officers didn't think radar guns would give them testicular cancer either, I imagine.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-06-30 at 13:20.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-06-30, 13:19

Windswept, please read the rest of the thread. The article is nonsense. This has been around for some time, and originated on the Wymsey site that Barracks links to. Poke around their site, it's rather funny. But it was neither a study nor were there researchers involved.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-30, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept

Heh. That's pretty funny, Dave.
Oh you have no idea. If he's got it in his head that I'm doing something I shouldn't be doing (or not doing something I should be doing), I won't hear the end of it for a year or more. After 27 years you'd think he would've figured out that how many times he tells me something doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not I'll follow his advice, and that repeat tellings just serves to annoy us both.

Other than that, he's great
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-30, 13:50

Quote:
Oh you have no idea. If he's got it in his head that I'm doing something I shouldn't be doing (or not doing something I should be doing), I won't hear the end of it for a year or more. After 27 years you'd think he would've figured out that how many times he tells me something doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not I'll follow his advice, and that repeat tellings just serves to annoy us both.

Other than that, he's great
Wow. I 'hate' people telling me what to do. Or pressuring me to do stuff that I don't want to do.

If I feel what they're saying is worthwhile, justified, and generally good advice, I will be *happy* to comply, and will cheerfully express my gratitude to them for their wise encouragement.

But if what they're insisting on is bureaucratic BS, I *immediately* feel rebellion, and the most intense urge to defy their coercion.

Is there any way you can sit down with your dad and say:

"Dad, you know that I love and respect you; but I've given it a lot of thought, and I've decided *not* to do___________ at the present time. I hope you will respect my decision about that."

Or would such a conversation be beyond the realm of possibility?

I probably *wouldn't* have been able to have such a conversation with 'my' dad.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-06-30, 14:11

I'm having a (free) sms conversation with my mother who is in the floor below me. Does that mean my bits are being fried as we text? Oh noes! Oh wait.... Read the thread....
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-30, 14:26

Quote:
Is there any way you can sit down with your dad and say:

"Dad, you know that I love and respect you; but I've given it a lot of thought, and I've decided *not* to do___________ at the present time. I hope you will respect my decision about that."

Or would such a conversation be beyond the realm of possibility?
Oh sure, we get along great when he's not bugging me about stuff. About once every two years or so, I'll remind that I'm not his little baby boy anymore (you should see the look on his face...) and he'll stop telling me what to do for about 6 months. Then it slowly builds up over about a year, then it'll take me another few months to realize that it's time for that talk again.

Come to think of it, he hasn't really been bugging me much lately. Maybe he finally learned
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-30, 14:51

Quote:
About once every two years or so, I'll remind that I'm not his little baby boy anymore (you should see the look on his face...)
Awww...

Well, of course he bugs you because he loves you so much, Dave, as I'm sure you know.

Try to keep in mind that when he's gone, you'll wish so very much that he could still be there, bugging the heck out of you.

I miss my dad so much.

(Sorry. I didn't mean to get weepy on you. )
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-30, 15:13

Quote:
Well, of course he bugs you because he loves you so much, Dave, as I'm sure you know.

Try to keep in mind that when he's gone, you'll wish so very much that he could still be there, bugging the heck out of you.
I had this exact conversation with a friend of mine a while back, except his dad didn't die -- he left my friend and his mom for some young thing. That was one of the few times I can honestly say changed my life. My relationship with my Dad got a lot better after that night.
Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2006-06-30, 17:00

You have to laugh at folks who are so concerned over cell phone radiation but still go outside. You can talk on the phone for hours, and the microwave radiation doesn't heat up your tissue at all. Now go outside and you'll feel the heat from solar radiation almost immediately. Not to mention that exposure to the sun is 100% known to increase risk of skin cancer. Better ban the sun!

"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
digitalAngel

Send a message via AIM to digitalAngel Send a message via Yahoo to digitalAngel  
2006-06-30, 18:27

when my mom calls me, i could be on my cell phone for over 2 hours. if cell phones could cook eggs, my brain would be hard boiled
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-06-30, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley
You have to laugh at folks who are so concerned over cell phone radiation but still go outside. You can talk on the phone for hours, and the microwave radiation doesn't heat up your tissue at all. Now go outside and you'll feel the heat from solar radiation almost immediately. Not to mention that exposure to the sun is 100% known to increase risk of skin cancer. Better ban the sun!
This is why recluse geeks live longer than average. They don't go outdoors.