AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Commercials you love or hate

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Commercials you love or hate
Page 1 of 21 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-12, 11:04

Normally I despise commercials and avoid watching them by clicking to an alternate program as soon as they come on.

But lately I've liked a few, and watch them with a certain amount of enjoyment.

I love the Geico gecko with his British accent. He is just SO cool. What I like most is how perfect the animation is, with the most accurate body motions - how he turns his head, blinks in surprise, leans against the tree and loses his balance for a second. Just perfection.

There's a Liberty Mutual Insurance commercial where a chain of people do 'random acts of kindness', like picking up a baby's stuffed animal, keeping a parked motorcycle from being hit by a backing-up car, saving someone from being crushed by a falling stack of wooden crates. Each person in the chain sees someone *else* doing something nice, and so they do something kind as well. Okay, well I think it's pretty cool anyway.

I like the guy with his dog on the Beneful commercial, how he makes the dog smile by stretching his mouth up; but mostly how he likes his dog so much and how they hang out together.

There are a few more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Do any of you have some favorites that you love, or love to hate?

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-07-12 at 11:52.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-07-12, 11:11

Love the new Volkswagon "pimp my ride" ads...as ridiculous and cheesy as they are...very memorable and fun.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-12, 11:12

Those you listed are really good. I too really enjoy those Beneful commercials. And as for the Geico gecko...my friend things he looks like Lt. Dan Taylor from Forrest Gump (aka Gary Sinise). What do you think? Put them side by side and I can kinda see it...I guess.

edit: Darn I forgot about the VW ones. Those are hilarious!
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-12, 11:15

The stupid Enzyte commercials, following the adventures of Smiliing Bob and wife.

Any weight loss, Ab Lounge, or Bowflex commercials.

Lady in the Water promos.

Girls Gone Wild promos at late night.
octavist13

2006-07-12, 11:18

I hate those stupid-ass Taco Bell "good to go" commercials. They're so annoying.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-07-12, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakbyrd
Girls Gone Wild promos at late night.
I saw that one the other night, it got my TiVo thumb going....I was stunned.
I've seen the daytime ones.....but the night time version....whoa nellie.

Because I watch sports a lot and Geico is a major sports advertiser so the little Lizard fellow has worn a tad thin on me.

The ones I really like are the vintage ones on Nick@Nite or the oldies channels, they really hit you in the memory banks, I'd like to see some old cigarette commercials, I'd bet they're hilarious now.

SHOW US YOUR LARK!
(you gotta be in your 40's to remember that one)

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-12, 11:43

Meh. Geico's gecko ads have been funny for years, but the most recent crop is just sorta...meh. I do like how the chair he sits on in the "talk show" ad is a perfect replica of the chairs from Late Night with Conan O'brien, though.

Volkswagen ads are always good. I actually missed all the "un-pimp ze auto!" ones, but the "Birds and Bees" ad for the new Rabbit is awesome.

Speaking of car ads, I actually really liked the ones for the Toyota Yaris. I like how they don't show the actual car, but rather a 3D rendering (remind you of someone?), but the cel-shading works well and perfectly complements the "clean" campaign. On the other side of the small-car spectrum, the Honda Fit has excellent print ads (the one comparing the Fit's spoiler to a mullet is priceless), but I haven't seen any TV ads for it. I'd love to see a TV ad with the same loud, Engrish style.

My least favorite ads? Again with the car companies: Ford. The "Bold Moves" campaign might have worked if their design wasn't so incredibly generic (admittedly, they have some bold designs in the pipeline, so maybe the campaign is just a few years too early). The "Driving American Innovation" ads with Bill Ford serve only to remind me why most CEOs are not actors, and the new ad with Taylor Hicks is just pathetic.

The Lady in the Water promos serve only to make the film look cheesy as hell. I know better than to try and judge an M. Night Shamaylan film by a thirty second TV spot, but other people won't.

And, last but not least, the McDonald's "I'm lovin' it" ads have to go.

But on a more positive note, one of my favorite ads airing right now is the new Cingular RAZR/SLVR ad. Say what you will about the RAZR, but last I checked it's pretty popular, and now it finally has its own distinctive ad, like the iPod. The ad consists of many black, silver, and pink RAZRs and SLVRs making pictures. It's not deep or profound or anything, but neither are dancing silhouettes. I like it.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-12, 11:48

That's so funny about the Geico lizard and Gary Sinise. My friend says he looks like Kenny Chesney.

But he is kinda cute (the lizard, not Chesney). I noticed that little stumble he does, leaning against the tree. It is good animation and his voice/accent is funny. Not sure what it has to do with anything, but they don't make me want to leave the room (not yet, anyway...everything gets old at some point).

I generally like funny commercials. And truly FUNNY, in the purest sense of the word...NOT ironic, postmodern hipster bullcrap with grungy-haired slacker types in ringer T-shirts discussing life, women, beer, cell phones, food, auto parts, etc.. Or doing "Jackass" type stunts or whatever. Ugh. As I approach 40, I'm realizing I hate everyone under 30.

I like those commercials for Kohler faucets. Makes me want to buy a new sink (and ain't that the point, when you get right down to it)?

For humor/entertainment value, I enjoy nothing more than the parade of prescription medication commercials flooding the airwaves these days...just to hear the "possible side effects", which are always 50x worse than the initial ailment they seek to cure.

Minor sniffles or dry eyes? Take Driciconel LM. But beware: your bowels may collapse and drain from your ears, your skin takes on a greenish hue, your testicles descend an additional 14 inches and you might get headaches, blurry vision and uncontrollable gas. But hey, no more sniffles!

I like commercials with pretty girls who don't act like they're pretty (that pretty much goes for real life as well, now that I think about it). That cutie-pie on the Tic Tac commercials, doing the tongue juggling or balancing act...oh my.

I hate beer commercials because they've all degenerated into crass, "go for the easy, obvious joke" lameness.

I like a lot of car commercials. Ones that do something unique and different, instead of the tired "driving on a curvy road really fast" shots. I hate the cars themselves, but those spots with those little boxy cars that change into different variations of themselves is captivating. The animation is awesome.

Oh, and I despise commercials that do the ultra heavy-handed diversity thing and just seem to go out of their way to "fill the slots", lest they came across as less than inclusive. If there are four friends hanging out - can be anywhere: boat dock, night club, traffic court, funeral home, etc. - you'll have a white chick, black guy, Asian girl and a darker, olive skinned, black-haired guy of undetermined origin (could be Italian, could be from Mexico...it's a catch-all look). And all of them have teeth whiter than the brightest spot on the sun and are a bit too excited to be eating a shared bag of potato chips or snack crackers. Nobody is that deliriously happy over a Nabisco product, so just stop it. You look silly.

Oh, and here's one more: I hate commercials - ANY commercial - in a movie theater (we covered this in that other thread, but it bears repeating).

zippy
Veteran Member

2006-07-12, 12:00

I love the GE Dancing Elephant commercial. It just makes me smile.

There are some that I really hate, but right now, I can't think of any specifics (I think I've blocked them out for my own protection).

Basically, I hate the ads that insult my intelligence - and there are thousands of them!

We have a local commercial for the National Guard that features a Napolean Dynamite (sp?) look alike (sort of) talking about learning some sweet ninja moves and such if you join. I hated the movie, but the commercial makes me laugh because it is so absurd. And I just picture the massive amount of TV viewers (mostly older) who have never seen or heard of the movie: "WTF is our military coming to? What is this crap?"

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-07-12, 12:11

Car ads generally suck, but there was one for the VW Jetta a few years back that was just hilarious. There's a couple riding along in their car, and the husband tells his wife he thinks they just accidentally returned a certain "home video" they made. Then it cuts to the rental place and you hear the two of them giggling as the customers and employees all stare at one of the TVs mounted to the ceiling.

There's a link here.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-07-12, 12:13

Hm, I don't have a TV, and whenever I do watch TV it's usually at my friends house with Tivo'd stuff and we skip commercials. However, a couple days ago I was watching regular TV and I have to say, I basically hate all commercials. I mute them or change the channel.

I especially don't like TV shows that are 30 minutes but the actual show time is closer to 18-20 minutes due to the high commercial content. It makes me think that these shows are created solely as a means of getting people to watch commercials, and not for any creative or original pursuit. Although, I tend to stay away from that side of television, but I'm actually talking about most primetime sitcoms and/or daytime sitcoms. The ones that just seem like they are fairly cheap to throw together, generic..etc. But, what do I know, I don't watch 'em. I mostly only watch Movies on TV.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-12, 12:18

I like it when the gecko is sitting in a chair, because his body is so long/tall, and his legs are so small. I think it's cute how he crosses his legs at the ankle.

I loved it when he was sitting in the airplane seat, because he was so tiny and the seat so huge. I think he had a seat belt on, but I can't really remember. If he had a seat belt on, I would 'really' have loved that.

Those Pella window commercials were funny *for a while*, Paul. You know, the one where the lady is showing her friend how the blinds go up and down inside the panes of glass, while the husband is out in the yard catching his grill on fire and causing it to 'asplode'.

There's one commercial where a guy dressed as a lobster is in the background getting his tail stuck in a revolving entrance door. I have NO idea what that commercial is about, or even what the product is they're advertising. I get distracted by the lobster and never 'have' paid attention to the actual ad. *shrug*

The one of the guy standing in the driveway reading the paper while the girls are in the car in the garage waiting for him to move. Finally last night I figured out that he was waiting for them to put their seatbelts on. I never had paid close enough attention to what was going on, because I kept looking at the 'guy', thinking that from certain angles he looked like Kevin Costner.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-07-12, 12:27

If you like print ads in magazines, the best example of classy ads has to be in Dwell magazine. They are all very refined and nicely done, with each advertiser revising their "stock" ads to fit the theme of the magazine. I love looking at sinks or chairs or other modern furniture ads, they're so cool!

I read the magazine half for the ads.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-12, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Those Pella window commercials were funny *for a while*, Paul. You know, the one where the lady is showing her friend how the blinds go up and down inside the panes of glass, while the husband is out in the yard catching his grill on fire and causing it to 'asplode'.

The one of the guy standing in the driveway reading the paper while the girls are in the car in the garage waiting for him to move. Finally last night I figured out that he was waiting for them to put their seatbelts on. I never had paid close enough attention to what was going on, because I kept looking at the 'guy', thinking that from certain angles he looked like Kevin Costner.
I like those two as well.

I like the ones where the six sexy ladies are all in a car, going out for the evening. I think it's one of those Dodge Magnum station wagon-y type cars? At the end, they all step out and they're pregnant (the hook of the commercial is "more room" or something).

They all went from party vixens to impossibly cute with their little baby tummies...

That whole series from Dodge, with the "that thing got a Hemi?" guy always getting the short end of the stick, amuse me too. Just saw a new one the other night.

And there's one out there for, I think, auto insurances. It's done up like a horror movie trailer or something. It gives me the creeps, especially that girl at the end.

Not sure what they're going for, but it DOESN'T make me want to call and get a quote.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-12, 12:43

Oh sure paul, just advocate drinking while pregnant, why don't you...

I think my favorite one was a very racy ad I saw once in a magazine - it was for an early Sony digital camera, soon after they started hitting the market, and it was a closeup of a woman's torso, nude except for a leather strap thingy that covered basically nothing, and the tag line was "The real reason we all want digital cameras." The copy then went on to discuss in very straight forward terms how a digital camera was the successor to the Polaroid for those home 'candid' shots, and wow, wasn't the quality better? IIRC, it ended with something like "Always be able to look the clerk at the photo shop in the eye."

One of those ads I wish I'd kept a copy of, it was so damned perfect.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-07-12, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
...There's one commercial where a guy dressed as a lobster is in the background getting his tail stuck in a revolving entrance door. I have NO idea what that commercial is about, or even what the product is they're advertising. I get distracted by the lobster and never 'have' paid attention to the actual ad. *shrug*..
I've seen that commercial. It's pretty funny.

It's actually for Vonage, the VoIP company. All of their commercials either involve someone doing something stupid or people in the background doing funny stuff. Good campaign.

Here's the link for the lobster ad.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-12, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Oh sure paul, just advocate drinking while pregnant, why don't you...

Ha! Naw. The very first time I saw it, I did indeed think it was one of those Bacardi or whatever spots, with the hip, sexy women going out on the town (maybe a "have a designated driver" message too). But they kept showing the car and it was apparent it was for that.

But the final payoff - they're all expecting - was cute, and grabbed me that first time. You don't see their tummies until the very end.

"Aww...stylish mommies-to-be"

What the commercial doesn't tell you is that's how they all got into the condition they're in: six months earlier, they all went out, got loaded on cosmopolitans and Cuervo shots, met some guys and got knocked up via a one-night-stand.

"Hey, girlfriend...I'm late. Oh really...you too?!? What about the others?"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-07-12 at 12:53.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-07-12, 12:53

What's the drug advert out now that one of the side effects may be diminished semen output?
I 'bout choked on a muffin when I heard that.....

"honey, sorry I've been a couple CC's low lately."
It could get you kicked out of your bukakke club.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-12, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend
If you like print ads in magazines, the best example of classy ads has to be in Dwell magazine. They are all very refined and nicely done, with each advertiser revising their "stock" ads to fit the theme of the magazine. I love looking at sinks or chairs or other modern furniture ads, they're so cool!

I read the magazine half for the ads.
Yay! A perfect excuse for me to throw in some Frank Lloyd Wright designs.

Falling Water House

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-07-14 at 13:46.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-12, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
What's the drug advert out now that one of the side effects may be diminished semen output?
I 'bout choked on a muffin when I heard that.....

"honey, sorry I've been a couple CC's low lately."
It could get you kicked out of your bukakke club.

Yeow!

"Ralph, your output is just not up to our usual high standards...we're gonna have to let you go".

Yeah, on a related note (someone brought it up above): those Enzyte(?) commercials give me the heebie-jeebies. So weird and freaky (I know that's the visual hook, and that corny retro style they're going for...but still).

I turn them when they come on. Just makes me feel gross.

That one where he jumps into the pool and loses his shorts and steps out of the pool. I'm just picturing this twisted Dirk Diggler scenario, and all the neighbor women getting torqued-up and their husbands wanting to go home and hang themselves in the garage.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-12, 12:58

That "falling water house" is so cool. I feel like I would have to use the bathroom A LOT if I lived there though!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-12, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
That "falling water house" is so cool. I feel like I would have to use the bathroom A LOT if I lived there though!

hahaha

Is it 1981?

2006-07-12, 13:22

FCB London have changed their name. [not safe for work - language] It's the last line that gets me.

The Hardcore Cleaning Sensation. More a remix of an ad. Stunning.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-12, 13:30

Oh, the women in a car thing reminds me of one I really loved from last year.

It was a limo with six or seven women in it late at night, one of whom was wearing a little bridal veil thing on her head.

She had the strangest, most wryly amused/appalled look on her face, and all the other women were laughing uproariously at her as she looked away from them with her wry look.

Then the voiceover said: "What happens in Las Vegas, *STAYS* in Las Vegas."

So, it was obviously a bachelorette party, and she had obviously done some outrageous thing with a male stripper, presumably; and that's why she had that wry, appalled, "Omg, did I *really* do that?!" look on her face.

No words were spoken by the women, iirc. It was all just uproarious laughter and facial expressions. These were all black women, by the way. They were 'perfect'. Somehow, I don't think the commercial would have worked as well with white, Asian, or even a mixed group of women. The black 'girlfriends' just seemed like such a fun, cool group out partying together.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-07-14 at 13:51.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-12, 13:30

I do not have any cable nor do I want to have it. Therefore all channels I have are from Canada.

I find it hilarious how American companies plaster maple leaf and proudly proclaim themselves as "Canada's choice", "Canada's best", or something like that.

Every single of McDonald ad I've seen, there's a red maple leaf on the Golden Arches.

Crest says they're proudly Canadian.

Even Canadian companies has to remind Canadian that they are proudly Canadian.

And to think they accused us of being overpatroitic....
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-12, 14:00

This is an Apple board. Have we all forgotton "1984"?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I would love to direct a "spiritual successor" to that ad for the Mac's 25th anniversary in 2009. I know exactly how I'd do it, too. I'd keep the "cyberpunk" setting, but I'd make it extremely cinematic - I'd make it basically look like a few scenes ripped right out of a movie. (That's right, scenes - ideally, Apple would be generous enough to allow me several of the $2 million dollar ads, enough to establish a simple plot - a rescue mission, perhaps - that continued throughout the Super Bowl.) Throughout, there'd be a few clues for the fanboys that it was a Mac commercial, but the general public (or at least those that didn't remember the original ad) wouldn't know until the end.

Unfortunately, I'm a few years too young - I will still be in film school when 2009 rolls around.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-12, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
This is an Apple board. Have we all forgotton "1984"?
Overrated and geekily sentimentalized.

[ducks behind something bullet/flame-proof, prays for safety and deliverance]

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-12, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Overrated and geekily sentimentalized.

[ducks behind something bullet/flame-proof, prays for safety and deliverance]

This might surprise you, but...I feel the same way.

The 1984 "non-commerical" is rather ordinary now, but I'm sure when it first aired, it was quite a coup. "Ahead of it's time," and all that.

Older commercials were much more direct in conveying the benefits of the product advertised (the earliest commercials, comically so). You didn't have artsy ads back then. You couldn't just show a sleek car driving in slow-mo, even. You had to talk, in the requisite nasally voice, about all the benefits of said car - how much your family would enjoy the weekend drives, and all that.

Contrast that to today. The biggest buzzword in advertising today is "viral marketing" - getting people to talk about the ad itself, in hopes of building buzz for the product it advertised. BK's "Subservient Chicken" campaign didn't tell you how much better the Whopper was compared to a Big Mac - it just got a lot of people thinking about BK. The (in)famous "ilovebees" campaign for Halo 2 didn't talk about all the new features Halo 2 would have - it just got a lot of people participating in this "alternate reality game," which, in theory, would make them more excited for the game (the ending of the campaign).

That's why I don't think merely remaking the 1984 ad would work. Artsy ads are everywhere. The 1984 ad is more esoteric than, say, an Infiniti ad, but it's not as incredibly groundbreaking as it once was. That's why I would take it a few steps further in its current direction - I'd make it even more cinematic, by giving it a plot that continued through several ads. I'd make it even more of a non-ad, by ending each part without so much as an Apple logo (until, of course, the end). And yes, Pscates, I'd even appeal to that "geeky sentimentalization" by throwing in subtle clues that it is a Mac ad. (You know, naming the rescue team "Leopard" or whatever 2009's Mac OS is called, stuff like that.)

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-12, 15:01

They should just take those two current dorks they're using in the "I'm a Mac...I'm a PC" spots and put THEM in different situations and scenarios. The PC guy could be on a big screen, droning on about pie charts. The little Keanu Jr. could put his bong down, don his favorite hoodie, come running in, throw something, etc.

The face of Apple, as it were.

Uhh...wait a minute.

BenP

2006-07-12, 15:04

I don't watch that much TV, but there are some radio commercials that make me want to hit something very hard.

The one for Six Flags and Coke with the sound effects instead of words is awful. The McDonald's "I'm lovin' it" has gotten annoying, although they seem to be cutting back on those ones. And on TV the one for some cleaning thing with the little kids talking about salmonella being a dinosaur are the worst. I hate that thing so fucking bad that I have to turn the TV off every time it comes on. I also don't like the ads for any of the jewelers (Jared and Mervis I think) because they get played so much.

I can't think of any I really like at the moment. I do like the Geico gecko. And the big buckin' chicken. Actually I like big buckin' chicken a lot.