User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 17 of 42 First Previous 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-13, 08:25

Billybobsky, you truly are an atomic-level fuckface, aren’t you? Arrogant, insolent, needlessly abrasive and always opting for the most shitheaded, off-putting way to phrase anything.

You truly are heir to the Throne of Cuntery recently vacated by Brave Ulysses. All those years spent as his understudy, dutifully laboring in his toxic shadow and learning from the master, are paying off.

Congrats, fuckwit. We knew you could do it. You give hope and inspiration to all the other graceless, socially retarded jizz stains on the Internet.

Lead them to that mountaintop, junior.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-13, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I think people are overreacting just a tad to what turtle is saying.
Some of the response has been harsh, no doubt. Then again he said he’d be our whipping boy, so he must be a glutton for punishment.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-04-13, 10:22

Quote:
Did it? France, for example, is currently doing worse than the US in terms of cases per capita.
Except French politicians were not out there questioning scientific consensus, France's failure (along with that of Germany, etc) by way of comparison to the UK was under planning for how to emerge from the pandemic, but really what I am talking about here is the fusing of specific political ideologies with certain approaches/responses to the pandemic. This, unless you count fringey BS parties, did not happen in Europe.

Quote:
This… really distorts what Turtle said (it's not like he's never wearing a mask), and then proceeds to personally attack him. Good job.
This was entirely my point. You can read into his statement precisely this sentiment and the political ideology that backs it. It wasn't personal. I was pointing out how it would be perceived. But whatever, you thought it was personal. Ok: Tony is not a Trump-tard. That's clear. It's always been clear. His actions now can be misconstrued as such.

Quote:
If everyone in the US wore masks "nearly 99% of the time when near others", I don't think the problem would be as bad. And also, that's hardly US-specific.
This is a bit disingenuous since what everyone else is responding to is the 1% of times Tony hasn't found himself wearing a mask. So... whatever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Billybobsky, you truly are an atomic-level fuckface, aren’t you? Arrogant, insolent, needlessly abrasive and always opting for the most shitheaded, off-putting way to phrase anything.
Paul, your opinion is oh so valuable here. You've really added to the discourse of this thread. Perhaps run off to Red-state or wherever else it is your troll brethren await...

Quote:
You truly are heir to the Throne of Cuntery recently vacated by Brave Ulysses. All those years spent as his understudy, dutifully laboring in his toxic shadow and learning from the master, are paying off.
Perfectly reasonable supposition, I guess, if reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

Quote:
Congrats, fuckwit. We knew you could do it. You give hope and inspiration to all the other graceless, socially retarded jizz stains on the Internet.

Lead them to that mountaintop, junior.
Nobody follows your lead better, oh master.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-13, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Except French politicians were not out there questioning scientific consensus,
No question. But the US has since improved significantly on that front.

Quote:
France's failure (along with that of Germany, etc) by way of comparison to the UK was under planning for how to emerge from the pandemic, but really what I am talking about here is the fusing of specific political ideologies with certain approaches/responses to the pandemic. This, unless you count fringey BS parties, did not happen in Europe.
OK. But why bring that up? It's not like turtle said that masks are nonsense, that the pandemic is a hoax, that it isn't as bad, that it'll go away "like a miracle", etc. In fact, he explicitly said that he's wearing masks almost all of the time even though his governor doesn't mandate it.

Quote:
This was entirely my point. You can read into his statement precisely this sentiment and the political ideology that backs it. It wasn't personal. I was pointing out how it would be perceived. But whatever, you thought it was personal. Ok: Tony is not a Trump-tard. That's clear. It's always been clear. His actions now can be misconstrued as such.
Well, I'm glad to hear it wasn't your intent to state that Tony is "a Trump-tard", but it's also odd, since you did say "Tony falls into the Trump-tard category".
Dr. Bobsky

2021-04-13, 10:43

Quote:
No question. But the US has since improved significantly on that front.
It has but the downstream effects are still evident.

Quote:
OK. But why bring that up? It's not like turtle said that masks are nonsense, that the pandemic is a hoax, that it isn't as bad, that it'll go away "like a miracle", etc. In fact, he explicitly said that he's wearing masks almost all of the time even though his governor doesn't mandate it.
My point was that in the arc of responses to Tony, the 'extreme' or harsh nature that they are taking is undoubtedly a response to Trump and his mangling of politics and pandemic over much of the last year. It's absolutely true that Tony doesn't prescribe to that brand of politics, but the excuses are similar. I was hoping to try to provide a bit of insight into how Tony might be perceived here with his described motivations. As I was really only responding to you and not Tony, this was my sole aim.

Quote:
Well, I'm glad to hear it wasn't your intent to state that Tony is "a Trump-tard", but it's also odd, since you did say "Tony falls into the Trump-tard category".
As far as American perceptions go, that much remains true. It's why you will find harsh responses to anyone in the US who even accidentally declares after getting the second dose of vaccine that they are so happy to be able to stop wearing masks soon. It's all political at this point. Disappointingly so...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-13, 10:55

I've been trying to avoid this, but my fuse is getting a little short.

For the most part, this thread has been clicking along in the "acceptable" category, but it is rapidly descending into a name-calling crap-fest over the last few days. It really needs to stop!

I'll bet all the nickels I own on this Earth that every single person on this forum has failed in the mask category at least once, if not more often. At least Tony has the balls to admit to it. I'll join him in that. I've failed along those lines myself, and I'm sure I'll fail again.

Either way, I'll ask kindly for things to cool down just a bit. Let's not do this! There's not a single person posting in this thread who has not been a forum member for at least 15 years! Chill out a bit, and give folks a little bit of the benefit of the doubt. If you're expecting "COVID perfection", you're on the wrong planet.

That said, I have no intention of locking this thread. It's just too important a topic. But, I might be tempted to bonk someone on the head!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-13, 10:56

I mean, BB could've gone with "sorry", but that works too, I guess.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-04-13, 11:02

I am happy to say that I never meant to imply that Tony was a Trump-tard, and for being less than clear leading to that misinterpretation, I am sorry.

But I don't think Ken is referring to my post in exclusion...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-13, 11:10

Quote:
I am happy to say that I never meant to imply that Tony was a Trump-tard, and for being less than clear leading to that misinterpretation, I am sorry.

But I don't think Ken is referring to my post in exclusion...
I am not.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2021-04-13, 11:27

To be fair Ken you did jinx this thread back on 4/4 with your comments on civility.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-13, 11:32

Thanks for pointing that out. No more late-night love from Ken!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-04-13, 12:25

Newb move, man. Never thank the community for their civility, it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-13, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
The notion of assuming that we're not sick is the prime trigger for me as well – because a person just can't know if they're sick if they're an asymptomatic carrier – I mean, it's IN THE NAME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
I just ask you to consider this, you have no way to know you're clean, because you could be completely asymptomatic and still be a transmitter.
I get it, I have the potential because I went into public out of my hollowed mountain bunker. Even if you look at the statistics though, I'm no more likely to be infected with Covid than I am to be infected with dysentery. I am isolated and keep myself and my family isolated. Is there even a sliver of a chance I could be infected with Covid in reality... no. I'm on the bottom of the risk of infection stack. I get that we all need to do our part and I am. Yes my verbiage is about myself but that is because it is all I can control. I can't control what you do, or anyone else on this world for that matter. I like to think I can control my kids but if you've ever had them you know how much of a misconception that really is.

Quote:
You realize we're not going to solve this or change anybody's behavior by shaming them, and I certainly don't want to talk down to you T.
This is appreciated because no civil conversation comes from being condescending or abusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Some of the response has been harsh, no doubt. Then again he said he’d be our whipping boy, so he must be a glutton for punishment.
I did volunteer because I know I'm not the only one who has been in this situation. I know I'm not the only one who thinks like I do. Yeah, I'm ok with it really. The reality is that it is part of the conversation about this whole pandemic no one wants to have. No one wants to be the one to say they went out unprotected/unmasked because of the shaming. Funny, what is happening here to me? I really don't care, though I do respect many of you on here. I'm doing my part but willing to admit when I miss that mark.

I think if more people focused on what they can control rather than trying to berate and belittle others for not doing it the way they think it should be done this would go a whole lot better. There are certain things required to get infected, it isn't a "I went in public therefore I'm now infected". So yes, I focus on myself and my family.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-13, 15:41

AND THAT was the time that we all had a fight about Covid.

Now everybody go put something into the Boobies thread in penance.

Or whatever.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-13, 15:57

Quote:
Now everybody go put something into the Boobies thread in penance.
I second that!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-04-14, 10:34

My wife and I just got our second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine yesterday. We would have loved to get it sooner, but distribution in NC isn't great, and our age category only opened up a few weeks ago.

Please, unless you have a diagnosed medical condition that very specifically prohibits you from eligibility, please vaccinate yourself and your family and loved ones. The level of effort is negligible (once you can get scheduled or find a distribution center) and the financial cost to you (at least in the US) is literally zero. (And if you want to talk about the "real" cost being that you pay for it with your taxes, then you should have an even stronger incentive to vaccinate soon so your tax dollars don't get wasted over a longer period as people keep dragging their feet and refusing treatment.)

I know too many anti-vaxxers in real life. Knowing just one is too many, to be honest, but the last decade of ass-backwards social media brainwashing has twisted far too many otherwise sensible people into a conspiracy-frothing tizzy. I have no expectation that vaccinating myself will "cure" me of any future covid exposure. The only way we're going to beat this is if we reach a reasonable herd immunity level. I am high-risk, and I really want to be able to go out in the world one day without fear of this disease, without always having to carefully bundle up in gloves and masks. Even if you don't think you need the vaccine, please do it to help negate the damning effects of the anti-vaxxers who are actively fighting against progress.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

2021-04-14, 11:03

I'm jelly how well the vaccines are being rolled out in the US.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-14, 13:03

Quote:
I'm *amazed* that our dumb asses are a model of efficiency!

Dr. Bobsky

2021-04-14, 13:10

Quote:
Honestly I am shocked that the U.K. is on course for herd immunity soon. It may be a temporary victory, but this place is in shambles most of the time...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-04-14, 13:54

Quote:

What's the Churchill quote? "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-14, 14:41

Quote:

It helps that the US has some of the largest vaccine production facilities in the world.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-04-14, 15:50

Quote:
It helps that the US has some of the largest vaccine production facilities in the world.
Although, to be fair, most or a substantial fraction of the vaccine in the US has been imported from elsewhere as far as I can tell... JandJ haven't produced a single dose in the US, AFAICT, for instance, since the company they contracted to do so keeps ruining batches. Pfizer is split between the US and Europe. etc.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-04-14, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I second that!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-14, 19:52

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly I am shocked that the U.K. is on course for herd immunity soon...
And then, there is Canada. It will be funny to watch our liberal-progressive establishment try to 'fake-news-away' a CNN report.

It's also quite funny watching CNN become a hero to Canada's conservatives, who have been making the same arguments for awhile.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-15, 08:35

Why keep milking the same cow when the utter is dry? Everyone knew they screwed up last summer, but you have to drag politics into every post. All you had to say is, we are behind, which is true. No amount of what his names dribble will change that, other than in the minds of total fanboys/girls. The only thing we aren’t short of in this country is conservatives crying wolf at every turn. They never provide any real solutions to fix the problems (other than cutting taxes and services we need) that they helped to create on multiple fronts, so excuse me if I don’t care about the whining. I’m frankly sick of the Liberals and the Cons banter and lies, if you cannot tell.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-15, 11:17

Quote:
I’m frankly sick of the Liberals and the Cons banter and lies
We should drink beer!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-15, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
As a forum moderator it is my duty to evaluate booby posts, not post them, as I must maintain a neutral position regarding such things.

Or something to that effect.

And, yes, you can call BS on that.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-04-15, 15:34

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-15, 15:38

Quote:
Why keep milking the same cow when the utter is dry? Everyone knew they screwed up last summer, but you have to drag politics into every post. All you had to say is, we are behind, which is true. No amount of what his names dribble will change that, other than in the minds of total fanboys/girls. The only thing we aren’t short of in this country is conservatives crying wolf at every turn. They never provide any real solutions to fix the problems (other than cutting taxes and services we need) that they helped to create on multiple fronts, so excuse me if I don’t care about the whining. I’m frankly sick of the Liberals and the Cons banter and lies, if you cannot tell.
Waiving off what is currently going on to one screwup 'last summer' is a complete misread of the situation. The post isn't about me thinking we're behind, it's about one of the world's largest news organizations broadcasting it to the entire world.

In terms of small-c conservatives (not necessarily the Conservative party), there have been a number of real solutions put forward. We asked why Canada would go to China first (for a vaccine that is now recognized on the lower end of efficiency.) We asked the government to consider manufacturing locally using emergency powers (first for PPE and then for vaccines.) We've asked for a reopening plan that prioritized focused protection for at-risk groups whilst not bankrupting small business people. Federally, we still have airplanes coming in from hotspots bringing variants in. Provincially, it took a whole year for the government to make Walmart and Costco follow the same retail rules as other small businesses.

Pointing out the obvious problems in our problems isn't whining. Whether it comes from CNN or regular people.

The big problem here is that many Canadians (particularly ones on the left) like to preach that our country is clearly superior to the U.S., particularly in our health care and political systems. And this crisis has openly exposed the many flaws in that line of thinking.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-15, 20:15

I'm not looking to start a political debate, so I don't want to go too far down this rabbit hole. I don't know many people who thought that going in with China (besides the government) on the vaccine was a good idea, I wouldn't give all the credit to cons for that. No question that was a huge mistake. Why we didn't give more support to domestic companies (for research and production) was mind boggling, as we discussed a few weeks back.

There is no doubt in my mind that government measures have heavily favored large businesses over small businesses. Last summer all the big companies (Canada Tire, Marks, Bestbuy, Costco, Walmart etc) here in BC couldn't have more than 50 people in a store, then when the number went up in the fall they stopped enforcing it, mind boggling no doubt. They say that spread isn't happening in retail stores, so no need to have such rules. So Costco can have 1000+ people in there crammed like sardines , but restaurants are closed for indoor dinning for family units. No question that our health experts are starting to get and deserve criticism. The flight issue is something we also agree on, it's insane. People are coming and refusing to obey the federal quarantine, or getting around it by entering through a US land boarder. How is this happening? Why is customs not holding anyone who refuses?

As for superior to the US, I wouldn't go that far. That said, for a long time we were in a good position, but people stopped caring and decided they are tired of the COVID rules.

As for conservative whining, I'm not talking about just COVID retailed issues, I mean in general, but that's a different rabbit hole and I don't want to get into here.