Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Stuff that really warms your heart

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Stuff that really warms your heart
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-10-25, 16:54

Well, for entertainment, I was reading through the Stuff that really pisses you off thread. Inside of it, there were links to another "annoying stuff" thread, but also a much older "little things that rule" thread. While it's easy to list off all of the things that annoy us (and goodness knows I've got more than my fair share), it's a little more difficult to list things that you really appreciate, and wouldn't change for anything in the world.

There's nothing quite like living through hell to make you see what you need to appreciate. Having gone through that this past summer, and still recovering from it, I'd like to offer up a thread to make people cheerful instead of crabby. Let's hear what things in your life warm your heart, little or not.

Here are a few of mine:
  • My ex-girlfriend. Maybe it'll work out over time. I recently got over the childish anger, and realized there's something there that was really worth the world to me. Wouldn't give it up for anything. I hope that not all is lost, because that'd be a shame.
  • A family that cares about me. From some of the posts in other threads (especially those by pscates2.0), and from what I see on the news every night, a lot of people who have this don't appreciate it enough. In some ways, I myself am also guilty of that. There are families brought into existence because two teenagers didn't stop to think first, and don't have the resources to support a family. The parents then work all day to do what they can (or in some cases, aren't motivated to work at all), and the life of the children is not a happy thing, and it evolves into a viscious cycle. Having people to be there for you and help you along, whether it be moral support, an occasional congratulations, or sometimes a swift kick in the butt, is really priceless. It's a shame that it's taken me to the age of 19 to realize this. (Strange to note that I share some sentiments with pscates2.0---because I'm also a Paul... go figure)
  • Living in the best honors dorm ever. (Hillcrest) The friends I've met there are the nerdiest, funniest, best bunch of people. They've helped me get through some really hard times this summer. Nothing like good friends to help you when you need it. Good friendships are significantly underrated.
  • Virginia Tech. It's an awesome university in an awesome little town in an awesome region of the country (Blacksburg, VA). The people, professors, programs, and students are great. Not to mention athletics, but that's really secondary to the first part. I also love being 30 minutes away from lots of great camping and outdoor activities. Not to slam any other universities, of course; I just really like where I go.
  • Having a paying job at IBM. Even if the work drives me up the wall sometimes, there are people who would give anything to have my paycheck, and I'm just a college student who gets paid markedly less than regular employees. My condolences really go out to people who work the labor-intensive jobs out in the brutal cold or sweltering heat. Their jobs are just as necessary as mine to the economy (arguably more so), and I think it's a shame that they get paid less, even if it means my earnings go down a little.
  • Apple. They're the one company that I can look to and say "I want to work there," because it's the one place that seems to foster innovation and drive new and cool technology. So many other places have a much more mundane feel, or are bogged down by their own size. The bureaucracy at IBM drives me up the wall; sometimes it just feels downright stifling. Of course, being able to have my Mac and my iPod "Just Work" are a plus, but I like seeing that there's at least one company for which I could work, where my efforts could go into providing that experience for more consumers. An engineer's job is to make people's lives easier, and Apple is one place where I really feel like I (and others) could realize that goal. For a disaffected college student who has quickly become disinterested in most mundane corporate positions, Apple is very much a beacon of hope. Please excuse my inner dork.

Those are the easy ones I can think of for now. Use this thread to share the little niceties you enjoy, as a more upbeat companion to the equally entertaining "pisses you off" thread.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-25, 16:56

Interestingly enough, I just had my powerbook propped up on my chest and it warmed my heart quite a bit, then I got cancer and lost my sex drive
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-10-25, 17:05

I found an old text the other day from a good friend who I don't get to see very often. She sent it me randomly one day and all it said was "I hope you feel incredibly special...... Cos you are x"

Its the little things that I like, when someone takes the time of day to see how you are, and you know that they mean it, and aren't just asking to be polite.

My friends, they rock, we have our dogy moments, but they are always there when I need them, and vice versa.

My family, they rock too.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-10-25, 17:26

1. My girlfriend. She always knows how to make me feel warm & fuzzy.

'Nuff said.

Edit: 3. My iPod. Ive is a genius.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2005-10-25 at 17:34.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-10-25, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans

'Nuff said.
That's awesome Made my afternoon.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-10-25, 18:42

Thanks man. Bob is on the right and Charley is on the left; they're both about a year old.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-10-25, 19:54

www.Apple.com right now.

Very touching.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-25, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
www.Apple.com right now.

Very touching.
That's awesome. Especially with all the new stuff Apple is touting now. To take their website and use the front page for that...kudos to Apple.
¡Damned!

2005-10-25, 20:48

My fucking goddamned cat rattling the window shades at 5:00AM every morning.

I'll stir briefly and growl "Gato!"...then he'll instantly jump into bed and curl up in my leg-curves and pass right the fuck out purring like a motherfucker.

Asshole.

I adore it.

So it goes.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-10-25, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
That's awesome. Especially with all the new stuff Apple is touting now. To take their website and use the front page for that...kudos to Apple.
Indeed. It will go away eventually, but I think it deserves to hang around for a while.

revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-10-26, 06:19

Ha, this thread made me really appreciate my friend. I told her I thought she was ace and that no one tells her that and I think they should, and she really appreciated it. That makes me feel good, when I make my friends feel like they are amazing, even if its as simple as that.
Amadeus

2005-10-26, 16:17

I agree with those above.

Something that warms my heart is those that are open, honest, and polite.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-10-26, 18:56

Getting under the covers on a cold worknight and basking in the glow of a Canucks home game. Those crushing hits and slapshots just make me warm and fuzzy all over.

Also, recently discovering that my dog drinks out of the toilet when I'm not looking then comes over and tries to slober on me. Makes me tear up almost daily...

...into the light of a dark black night.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-26, 19:00

One of my favorite things is a snowstorm...but it's more than that.

I love being at my parent's house when it snows at night. I like the utter silence of a snowstorm (unless it's a windy snow...which it frequently is around here). The snow absorbs all the sounds and it's just so...quiet. No one is driving around or anything like that. I like to sit by the fireplace and just watch the snow come down. Bonus points if there's a Christmas tree and or outdoor Christmas lights up. Hot chocolate is a plus as well.

I like winter, for the most part at least.

Come waste your time with me
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-10-26, 19:31

Except when it's 36 degrees and rain, which describes Chicago about three months of the year.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-26, 19:33

Yeah, but when you do get those awesome snows it's just...well, awesome.

You have to take the bad (36 and cold rain) to get the good (aforementioned snow storms.)

Come waste your time with me
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-10-26, 23:22

It's true... I just wish it were more snow and less rain some winters. Actually more sunny, frigid days would be even better (pond hockey action!).
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-10-26, 23:56

A cool island song really warms my heart.
No, wait, a fresh island song really cools my heart.
Dang, no, I mean.... I mean, FREE HAT!!!!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-10-26, 23:59

"Hey buddy, nice hat...
...do you get a free bowl of soup with that?
OH, it looks good on YOU though!...."

drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-10-27, 06:39

Okay, I have to put in a real entry now instead of a thread-derailer.
Spending time with my elders, listening to the stories of their lives.
That really warms my heart.
That, and kittens frolicking with baby goats.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-10-27, 08:10

Oh I forgot: the very notion of a "Yard of Beer" definitely warms my heart. Especially if it's the St. Pauli girl who's holding it.
Amadeus

2005-10-27, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs

Oh I forgot: the very notion of a "Yard of Beer" definitely warms my heart. Especially if it's the St. Pauli girl who's holding it.
The "Yard of Beer" sounds interesting. The girl must be making it warm.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-10-27, 18:18

No I kid you not... there is such a measurement as a Yard of beer. It's this huge stein type thing that would get an ordinary man shit-faced with one serving. Murbot of course, would require at least 3.

...into the light of a dark black night.