AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

G5 power mac and gaming

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
G5 power mac and gaming
svar

2006-02-07, 10:30

Hi
This is my first post here

I going to by a mac soon but Im confused.
What I primaly do is playing world of warcraft, internet, play music, edit picktures and sometimes edit video so I want a mac that can do all this and one I can have for some years

the power mac G5 looking good, It has all the power I need and a little more I think, but how is gaming on it?
I primaly play world of warcraft and on my winPC I have amd 3500+, 1gb ram and nvidia 6800GT PCI-E. In wow I get avrage 50-70FPS, and I dont wana only get 10-15 on a mac.

I know iMac Intel 20" has a good gpu and I seen som preaty good beta tests of wow at UB, the FPS is as good (if not better) than my winPC.
But the iMac dosent have all the power like the Power Mac G5 has (the quadro is the one I looking at).

I know that I can get a Power Mac whid nvidia 7800GT and this configurations looks wery sweet on the paper.

So what I realy wana know is: how good are wow running at a PowerMac G5 Quad whid 7800Gt gpu? Do I get good or lazy FPS?

Hope someone know
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-02-08, 08:47

I'm sure WoW runs fine on a G5, but the G5 replacement will be out by the end of the year. Wait a little and get one on the cheap.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2006-02-08, 11:26

There's some news today on www.xlr8yourmac.com regarding performance of the recently released WoW universal binary. Looks like Intel performance is excellent, while PPC is now taking a hit for some reason. I'd pay attention to the reader comments there for a bit before making any decisions...

Shhhh, I can't see!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-02-08, 12:15

I would also suggest waiting for an Intel-powered Mac. I have long been a critic of Mac gaming, because Macs simply don't make good gaming machines. Even if all games ran equally well on Mac hardware as they did on PC hardware, there still aren't any ideal gaming Macs. The Power Mac is too expensive and the rest lack upgradable graphics.

I've always promoted the idea that Macs are perfect for almost everything except gaming. Mac users who want to play a couple games but who aren't serious about it can buy a game or two and play them, but it's not nearly as good as it is on a PC. Mac games tend to have really bad framerates and they often look worse than their PC counterparts as well.

I do not see the point in buying a Mac specifically for gaming. If you're going to spend all that money, you'd have a better experience if you were to just buy a cheaper Mac and ALSO use a PC for gaming. Instead of dropping $4000 on a Power Mac that'll have a very limited selection of games that don't even play that well, why not drop $2000 on a really nice gaming PC and spend another $500-$700 on a Mac mini for everyday use? You'd get a much better selection of games, better framerates all around, and you'd spend less money. And you'd still have a Mac!

Also, if you do go through with this (and I do NOT suggest that you do!), you should not get an nVidia Quadro. It seems like you just have a lot of money you want to throw at this, but the Quadro series of graphics cards are NOT intended for gaming. They are professional 3D rendering cards, used for rendering 3D scenes like what you'd create in Maya or something. Gaming performance on those cards tends to be rather poor.

At the very least, wait until the Intel Macs come out. Newer games should be using universal binaries and they'll probably perform a lot better on Intel Macs than on PPC Macs. You already said the WoW universal binary is running great on an iMac, so it'll be even better on a Power Mac.

But bottom line, I think you should forget Mac gaming and just keep your gaming PC. Buy a Mac mini or a PowerBook or something, and use it for everything other than gaming. For the light non-gaming tasks you laid out, ANY Mac will do you fine for at least two years. If you really want to improve gaming performance on your PC, just buy a new video card for it (not that the 6800GT you already have is a slouch, but you could always get a 7800GTX with the money you saved from not buying a super-expensive Power Mac!).
svar

2006-02-08, 14:36

I was not talking about the nvidia quad gpu, but the Power mac quad (2*2dual core G5) and nvidia 7800GT

But if I get it right here: I should get an iMac Intel or wait for the PowerMac with Intel?
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-02-08, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by svar
But if I get it right here: i shold get a iMac intel or waith for the PowerMac whid intel?
Bottom Line: You're going to be annoyed if you spunk a shitload of money on any kind of PowerMac because the WoW beating game we all know is only years away (whatever guise it may be in) will almost certainly not have a Mac release instantly. Take my word for it, take Luca's word for it, and buy a cheaper Mac further down the line, and simply upgrade your PC now.

I'm of the opinion that everyone should at least try a Mac, and the Mini is a great excuse to. Wait and see if it gets Frontrow then buy that, would be my suggestion, because at least if you don't get on with it you can stick it in front of the TV.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-02-08, 17:01

You have too much money.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-02-08, 17:41

So a PowerMac Quad w/ 7800GT to play WoW, surf the internet, play music, picture and occassional editing? Seems a huge waste of money to me. Get the iMac, or mini + PC Gaming rig upgrades.

This is just getting old.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
svar

2006-02-11, 12:53

I guess I go for a Intel iMac 20"
maby something else, I waith to the 1st april before I get anything anyway