AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Un(official) National Title Game: LSU vs. Ohio State

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Un(official) National Title Game: LSU vs. Ohio State
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-01-07, 21:13

Well, we are barely done with the first quarter and this game is turning out to be awesome.

Personally, I gave the 6 points and took LSU, but all I really want is a great game. . . .so far, so good.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-01-07, 21:18

Yeah, this should be a good game.

But I do refuse to define the winner of this game as the "national Champion" until the Football Bowl Sub-divison goes to a playoff like the rest of the football divisions.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-01-07, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
But I do refuse to define the winner of this game as the "national Champion" until the Football Bowl Sub-divison goes to a playoff like the rest of the football divisions.
As a USC alumni, I think we have been more hurt than any other school over the past 5-6 years by the lack of a playoff. This year I think we would have prevailed to win the national title since we are finally healthy.

That being said, I do not get the college presidents not voting for a limited playoff--hell, it is more money for the program. Isn't that what college football is all about anyways--SHOW ME THE MONEY.

jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-01-07, 21:30

OMG. . .can't believe the OU defender let him loose that much in the end zone: 17-10 now.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2008-01-07, 22:00

24-10 at the half. Geaux Tigers!
SpecMode
Wait what

2008-01-07, 22:00

Best make that 24-10. Too bad I can't actually watch the game.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-01-07, 22:02

24 unanswered points is not a good way to end a half for OSU. Either that or LSU is finally breaking through OSU's hype machine to get back to just playing football.

As for the national championship debate, I don't think the presidents want a playoff system because it would move the football season well into January. Having the BCS and national title games a week into January is bad enough. It'd be pretty bad to move College Football into a two semester sport. That, and there is a TON of money in the bowl payouts that wouldn't be matched in a playoff. Schools get upwards of $4 mil for regular bowl games and $17 mil for BCS games. With 64 of the 118 Div-1 schools receiving this kind of a payout, it'd be hard to vote to change the system.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-01-07, 22:17

This game is starting to resemble the Florida blowout last year. . . if OU losses again like 49-14 the whole Big 10 will suffer . . . .
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-01-07, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Best make that 24-10. Too bad I can't actually watch the game.
I assume you are on the ship now? If so, we will keep you up to date.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-01-07, 22:38

OMG. . . Ohio State is starting to look silly. They cannot tackle. This just goes to show that the Big 10 does not play the upscale Pro Office that the Pac 10 brought into the league and much of the SEC is playing now.

This is looking like a blowout. . . .

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2008-01-07, 22:38

31-10. Ohio St. penalty for roughing kicker... couple plays later Doucet breaks some tackles for a TD.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-01-07, 22:52

Interception for OSU.

He should have scored, but he stepped out of bounds.

I just want OSU to lose this game so bad. I'm a Michigan fan, so any team playing OSU is my 2nd favorite team.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-01-07, 23:10

The momentum seems to be in OSU's favor. I don't really care who wins so it might shape up to be an interesting game after all.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-01-07, 23:25

OSU is the most overrated team of the year.... well...besides Cal up until their Oregon State loss and the following death fall.

I'm thrilled to see justice being served. OSU did not belong in this game.
¡Damned!

2008-01-07, 23:33

Interception!

I have a straight 50 bucks on LSU. No points taken. Looks like 2008 might not be so bad after all.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-01-07, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
OSU is the most overrated team of the year.... well...besides Cal up until their Oregon State loss and the following death fall.

I'm thrilled to see justice being served. OSU did not belong in this game.
I agree. While above I stated how I don't see the presidents ever voting for a change in the system because of the money involved, I think the BCS favored conferences needs to be seriously reevaluated. The Big East, the Big 10, the Pac-10 are all a lot weaker then they were when the BCS started up and the whole idea of having conferences with automatic bids to BCS games is getting a little tired. Maybe I'm just very disappointed with the BCS match-ups this season, but it seems like something needs to change.

Website | Twitter
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-01-07, 23:48

Well, congrats to LSU. A very nice win. My final five for the season:

1. LSU
2. USC
3. Georgia
4. WVa
5. Mo
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-01-07, 23:49

Quote:
. OSU did not belong in this game.
I think the game most wanted to see was LSU vs. USC. That would have been a better contest.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2008-01-07, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I agree. While above I stated how I don't see the presidents ever voting for a change in the system because of the money involved, I think the BCS favored conferences needs to be seriously reevaluated. The Big East, the Big 10, the Pac-10 are all a lot weaker then they were when the BCS started up and the whole idea of having conferences with automatic bids to BCS games is getting a little tired. Maybe I'm just very disappointed with the BCS match-ups this season, but it seems like something needs to change.
Hm... While I appreciate your agreement with me I must disagree with you

I think the Pac-10, despite Cal's downfall from number 1 1/2 to unranked and a few more late season disappointments, was arguable the most competitive conference this year. Upsets, rankings, big games, etc... the Pac-10 really delivered this year, and definitely deserves more respect than it has been given in recent years.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2008-01-07, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
I think the game most wanted to see was LSU vs. USC. That would have been a better contest.
As most games involving USC are.

USC can always be counted on to provide an exciting and well fought game... their lost to Stanford this year killed their hopes of the National Championship game but I know for sure had they been it, it would have been a more competitive game.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-01-08, 00:03

Quote:
Hm... While I appreciate your agreement with me I must disagree with you

I think the Pac-10, despite Cal's downfall from number 1 1/2 to unranked and a few more late season disappointments, was arguable the most competitive conference this year. Upsets, rankings, big games, etc... the Pac-10 really delivered this year, and definitely deserves more respect than it has been given in recent years.
True, but as a conference on the national scale it's a little different. I think a lot of the rankings that went into Pac-10 schools this year were thanks to over-hype and name recognition. Cal is a great example but look at Oregon, they also fell off the map. ASU getting murdered by Texas in the bowl didn't help the conference either.

Either way, I still think the fact that the BCS favors certain conferences needs to be reevaluated.

Website | Twitter
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2008-01-08, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
True, but as a conference on the national scale it's a little different. I think a lot of the rankings that went into Pac-10 schools this year were thanks to over-hype and name recognition. Cal is a great example but look at Oregon, they also fell off the map. ASU getting murdered by Texas in the bowl didn't help the conference either.

Either way, I still think the fact that the BCS favors certain conferences needs to be reevaluated.
Oregon lost their quarterback though. Once he got injured, they fell apart. Before that they were an amazing team to watch. All it takes is one quarterback injury to ruin a college football team's path to glory, or even NFL team for that matter. ASU was a strange sleeper story of the Pac-10. They got much further than anyone expected and I wasn't surprised to see them lose badly to Texas.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2008-01-08, 00:08

Quote:
Oregon lost their quarterback though. Once he got injured, they fell apart. Before that they were an amazing team to watch. All it takes is one quarterback injury to ruin a college football team's path to glory, or even NFL team for that matter. ASU was a strange sleeper story of the Pac-10. They got much further than anyone expected and I wasn't surprised to see them lose badly to Texas.
That's right, baby!! Hook 'em!

lol..

k, I'm done.
Partial
Stallion

2008-01-08, 07:26

Same thing as last year. OSU has a lot of talent because they recruit with the big boys, but they cannot beat a team as loaded with lottery picks as LSU. They started the game off strong because of good coaching, but eventually playing a team with superior talent catches up with you.

I am sick of hearing about team speed personally because OSU has a lot of talent on their team and are certainly a top 5 team. They're just young.

Very few teams can beat them, but that LSU team is loaded up with blue chippers in the same way Florida was last year.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-01-08, 10:43

If there's not a playoff next year after the disaster that was this year, there never will be. The inescapable conclusion will be that money rules the NCAA like everything else. Sad.

...into the light of a dark black night.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-01-08, 10:46

The best we can hope for next year is a "plus-one" tournament, which would be the top four teams playing in a seeded tournament with the winners meeting the next week.

The BCS contract is on for another three years I think.

faust

2008-01-08, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
Same thing as last year. OSU has a lot of talent because they recruit with the big boys, but they cannot beat a team as loaded with lottery picks as LSU. They started the game off strong because of good coaching, but eventually playing a team with superior talent catches up with you.

I am sick of hearing about team speed personally because OSU has a lot of talent on their team and are certainly a top 5 team. They're just young.

Very few teams can beat them, but that LSU team is loaded up with blue chippers in the same way Florida was last year.

After watching last nights game I think the top 4 SEC teams could beat OU.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2008-01-08, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
I can think of a dozen teams that I would put money on beating them.

Their schedule strength is and has been terrible.