Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PowerPC
Page 4 of 23 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-08-27, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
Sounds to me like someone has been reading all of the news postings. Care to quote from any other articles?
I can "confirm" that this thread was the first public mention of the 970MP. So could you, if you simply checked the date of the post you quoted, and compared it to the articles you refer to.
DOH!
"better to keep quiet, and appear a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt"

Morpheus

2004-08-27, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriok
Let me guess... "nothing" more that 1 MB L2 cache? Can we expect speed bumps and som other goodies too? I hear that we can expect 970GX in about 6 months time, do you concur?
and where did you hear that? ;-)

Morpheus

Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2004-08-27, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
and where did you hear that? ;-)
You are not the only one with sources

windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-08-27, 22:04

macrumors s where he heard that

DaveGee

2004-08-27, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
Sounds to me like someone has been reading all of the news postings. Care to quote from any other articles?
As others have already started... Grand old Morpheus was the father of ALL the other forum posts and articles.... If it wasn't for him you'd still not know about the dual core stuff.

Not a great way to start off your posting life eh?

Maybe you should kick back and read more before you make yourself look foolish again... Unless you have room for that other foot?

Dave

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-27, 22:54

Hey, maybe he's got a dual-core mouth.

futuretheory

2004-08-28, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Hey, maybe he's got a dual-core mouth.

trismegistus

2004-08-28, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriok
You are not the only one with sources
Did you get the info at AmiGBG 2004?

Henriok

2004-08-28, 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by trismegistus
Did you get the info at AmiGBG 2004?
No, but i'm sure not to miss next year's exhibition if they talk about such things there. AmiGBG is in my home town after all.

Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-28, 12:26

http://www.hp.com/united-states/designjet/index.html

OMG, 5 GHz G5!!!11one

Morpheus

2004-08-29, 04:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGruv
Well?

c'mon man drop the other shoe...

Well,... There is AntaresMP and there is Antares....

Morpheus

Morpheus

2004-08-29, 04:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee
As others have already started... Grand old Morpheus was the father of ALL the other forum posts and articles.... If it wasn't for him you'd still not know about the dual core stuff.
Dave
Brother Dave... If they only new about everything else... mmm... I never posted at the "other place that shall not be mentioned here" - gosh... this reminds me of "the one that shall not be named" :-) - but I do remember you dropping a few hints about monikers never before heard...

Morpheus

DaveGee

2004-08-29, 08:18

Quote:
Brother Dave... If they only new about everything else... mmm... I never posted at the "other place that shall not be mentioned here" - gosh... this reminds me of "the one that shall not be named" :-) - but I do remember you dropping a few hints about monikers never before heard... Morpheus
That oughta cause some heads to spin... Not quite as bad as Otto (Oh!) but close. as far as info-accessibility your hand has mine beat hands down, in fact your up cards can beat my whole hand.

Dave

DaveGee

2004-08-29, 08:26

Quote:
What would IBM do with all of those MPs where one out of the two cores fails... (after all IIRC, IBM perfected such a process with it's POWER line of CPUs didn't it?) So, my guess would be:

AntaresMP - Dual Core
AntaresSP - Single Core

And if that's the case... the SP and MP would be available on/around the same time. ETA - 1Q 2005

Dave

DrGruv

2004-08-29, 14:41

Quote:

Morpheus
Antares 970GX? - You do enjoy the game - :smokey: ok, deal me in...

Ok, lettme guess - (ante up please) a newly designed low power version of the 970 with many special features just for the new powerbook g5?

What's your bet? Want any cards? or do you wanna show your hand?

--------
did that other shoe drop?

- Michael Droste Itunes Link Stop By: TrumpetStudio.com or SaveThePlanetSong.org Some Main Gear: AT4050, Dual 1.8 G4, Logic, Waves Plat, Waves SSL, Tritone, URS, PSP, Zebra, BFD, RND, Sony Oxford, Altiverb...

Last edited by DrGruv : 2004-08-29 at 14:47.

Morpheus

2004-08-30, 06:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGruv

What's your bet? Want any cards? or do you wanna show your hand?

--------
did that other shoe drop?

My hand shows: eCLipz

:smokey:
Morpheus

DaveGee

2004-08-30, 07:05

Quote:

Morpheus
Interesting... here is something I dug up on eCLipz.

Article: http://www.midrangeserver.com/tfh/tf...3-story01.html

[midway down the page you'll read]

----
That brings us to Power6 and a related project known as ECLipz. If you want to make IBM stop talking, start talking about ECLipz. A few months ago, I got my hands on some internal roadmaps from IBM about ECLipz, which, according to this documentation, is a Power6-generation project that was started in late 2001. The project name suggests a few things. First, "ipz" obviously refers to iSeries, pSeries, and zSeries, or so one might surmise. "ECL" is a little tougher to crack, but the "E" could be for eServer, the "C" could be for something like Consolidated, and the "L" could be for Linux. I showed this document to some IBM sources, and soon thereafter I got a denial (not attributable to anyone, mind you) that what this document clearly said--that the ECLipz processor, as Power6 was known, would be used across all non-Intel IBM servers--was not true, and that heads rolled because this roadmap said so.

I'm not so sure I believe this. But IBM's top brass (including Bill Zeitler, who heads Systems Group) has been quoted in the trade press recently as saying that IBM will maintain distinct platforms for mainframes and other IBM Power-based machines. The roadmap mentioning ECLipz is from sometime in 2003 (date unknown), so it is not that outdated. But for all I know, IBM started this project to consolidate the zSeries line into the Power line and it did not work. This would not be the first time IBM tried this. The Fort Knox and Future Systems projects that tried to consolidate IBM's mainframe and midrange lines decades ago failed, too. This is hard stuff, which is why vendors don't do it. So ECLipz could be alive or dead. Only IBM knows.
----

Hmmm... now this was written back in November 2003 and here we are at the end of summer 2004 and ECLipz pops up again... I'd have to say that ECLipz isn't dead yet. but what does it hold for us?

Dave

Last edited by DaveGee : 2004-08-30 at 07:10.

jl51

2004-08-30, 07:30

Quote:
Morpheus
Is the 970GX the one which will cross the 3 Ghz boundary

windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-08-30, 07:43

he just fucking with our minds now, the sick bastard he gets off n our pain. have you no shame?!

AirSluf

2004-08-30, 11:49

XXXXX

Last edited by AirSluf : 2004-11-15 at 23:13.

DrGruv

2004-08-30, 12:50

Quote:

Morpheus

Okay.... You bid an eClipz

I'll see your bid, I raise it.

'L' stand for laptop or low power? :smokey:

DaveGee

2004-08-30, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSluf
Dude, you have to do better than a veiled reference already out in the open from the Reg on 7 August 2003. Just a snippet here:
[snip]
Yeah, I know. I'm a dikhed skeptic, but someone's gotta be.
AirSluf,

No need to be a 'dikhed skeptic' (using your words) when it comes to Morph... If he's still bringing up eCLipz there's a good reason for him to do so.

Most important, it means said project is very much alive, well and moving forward. The references I've found all seem to point to 2006/2007 for an ETA - Maybe, and I'm just guessing here... Has that ETA has since moved closer to 2005 perhaps even early 2005? This would be welcome news for the Power family but I'm still wondering how it connects together with the PPC family.

e = eServer
C = ??? (Converge)
L = Linux
ipz = i p z types of IBM servers.

Are lines that are drawn between the 'Power' and 'PowerPC' going to 'thin' or even disappear all together? That would be HUGE news but not possible since (to my layman's eyes) Power = multicore, BIG MAMA CACHE and expensive iron in implementation (as compared to desktop hardware anyway) where PPC has usually equaled single-core (about to change) BABY CACHE and Altivec.

Brother M... You know I love-ya but could ya help me out here? Am I getting warm (with the notion that PPC and Power are slowly becoming one)

Dave

stoo

2004-08-30, 16:05

Quote:
Am I getting warm (with the notion that PPC and Power are slowly becoming one)
I'm sure I've heard this suggestion before. Probably in one of the PowerPC 970 articles/forum posts on ArsTechnica.

Henriok

2004-08-30, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoo
I'm sure I've heard this suggestion before. Probably in one of the PowerPC 970 articles/forum posts on ArsTechnica.
As far as IBM is concerned, POWER is PowerPC and vice versa. The destinction between the POWER and PowerPC ISAs seems to be purely academic since a while back. Everyting from POWER5 to PowerPC 405 through 970FX is labled "Power architecture" and I think that the future Cell will be too.

Mentioning eCLipz, Morpheus might have some new info on POWER6. I fail to see the immediate connection between POWER6 and Antares though.

Morpheus

2004-08-30, 18:04

ok, I guess it is time for some ground rules... some know me, most don't... maybe this will help:

1. I'm not regular, here or anywhere. May be here today, may only return next month... questions may be ununswered for a long time or even not answered at all if I decide to ignore them.

2. Don't like the style, move over to other threads, or if you wanna bitch, go ahead, please yourself (see 1.)

3. Just because I hint at something, does not mean that full details will follow. Or they may take a long time to come. That's the nature of the beast. Otherwise I would have to kill you all. Don't like it? See 2.

4. I like to play games. Mind games, not bluffing games. Those that don't, see 2.

5. There is no 5.

Morpheus

Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2004-08-30, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
For some reason it always tickles me when someone does the !!!111one thing.

AirSluf

2004-08-30, 20:07

XXXXX

Last edited by AirSluf : 2004-11-15 at 23:14.

gsxrboy

2004-08-30, 23:12

By golly didnt Moki cause a whirlwind of activity when he mentioned gpul way back then

What ever happened to the man?

DrGruv

2004-08-30, 23:38

Morpheus

( just casual conversation during the game :smokey: )

with all the 970mp 970gx, 970fx, 970 et. al, what became of the powerpc 980 due q3 of 2004 based on the power 5?

My guess, is the 980 got pushed back to next summer with the 970mp coming in early '05. (for me please)

I am buying one computer that needs to last many years...

Go for a quad 970mp at (guesstimate $3499) or wait for the 980?
Would the 980 be significantly better than the 970mp?

The power5 has over 270 million transistors and the powerpc980 perhaps in the 90 million (or more range)

The 980mp (dual core) or quad would definitely kick some serious numbers..

Jump in at the 970mp or wait for the 980?

thanx for the advice in advance...

-mike

(I'll take two cards)

- Michael Droste Itunes Link Stop By: TrumpetStudio.com or SaveThePlanetSong.org Some Main Gear: AT4050, Dual 1.8 G4, Logic, Waves Plat, Waves SSL, Tritone, URS, PSP, Zebra, BFD, RND, Sony Oxford, Altiverb...

Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-08-30, 23:39

Moki is the president of a software company which has a bundled software deal with Apple (Deimos Rising on the iMacs, eMacs and iBooks). I'm sure Moki wants to keep on Apple's good side. Notice how Moki never revealed what the GPUL was, making it meaningful only to those already "in the know."

ApplePI turned out to be real. (although Apple changed the acronym to API)

DorsalM was a proven hoaxer. (damn)

I miss Programmer and Eskimo.

Barto

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.