User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Anyone know a good way to get started in Bitcoin?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone know a good way to get started in Bitcoin?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-08-17, 20:25

I'm seeing it come up more and more. It is looking less and less like a pirate's currency and more legitimate. Anyone here use it and know a good way to start using it for normal transaction? Something like PayPal is easy because it is all the currency of your choice, Bitcoin is a different animal though it seem to operate the same generally.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
AmandManny
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2021-02-20, 14:33

I use bitcoin only because it's really safe and trustworthy. I used PayPal but I had some problems with my personal data.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-20, 14:48

Funny you dug up this old thread. I was actually thinking about BitCoin again since it's at $55k now and appears to be steady climbing.

For me I used CoinBase because it was the only "trustworthy" beginner converter I found. I only put $50 into it so I could pay $25 to someone who only took bitcoin. With all the growth recently I'm actually at $107 right now. Pretty nice if you asked me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-20, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandManny View Post
I use bitcoin only because it's really safe and trustworthy. I used PayPal but I had some problems with my personal data.
I use Bitcoin because it's the only way to buy a ticket to Toledo.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-21, 10:12

You know, I almost posted that but was waiting to see what else popped up. Then notice another spammer replied so figured they were tag teaming it. (Same bot/person but two accounts is my guess.)

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-02-21, 10:59

Bitcoin mining today without an ASIC, forget it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-21, 23:27

Bitcoin mining today without an ASIC and extremely cheap renewable energy… forget it.

I've read a few times over the last year that the energy cost of mining nowadays is usually break even with the typical cost of your power bill. Whatever you "earn" is basically lost as soon as you pay your utilities.

Unless you live in Toledo.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-22, 00:05

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-02-22, 03:59

The best way to get started in a Ponzi scheme is to do it early, and unfortunately, Bitcoin is already 12 years old.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-02-22, 08:15

Unfortunately these digital currencies aren’t going anywhere, cause everyone’s on board for it, or so it seems.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-22, 08:56

You know, at one point I did look up bitcoin mining from my computer. I thought about getting a good graphics card and going to town. Then I looked into the cost breakdown and was astounded at just what Brad said, you at best could break even. Throwing more hardware into it only costs you more a month and you still don't really break even. I mean, if you're running from an extension cord connected to your neighbor's house it is ok right?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-02-22, 11:18

Or you do what pot dealers here used to do, hack into the power line before it gets to the meter at your house. Little risky, but totally worth it, right.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-22, 19:09

This is also why hidden JavaScript miners have joined the ranks of botnets: it's far more profitable to get someone else's computer to do the work on your behalf.

Ever go to a website and see your CPU spike for no apparent reason? They're probably mining on your dime. A decent blocker like uBO should have rules to block most of the mining libraries.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-22, 19:41

That's malware-based stuff, right?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-02-22, 20:14

No it runs through your browser, nothing is every installed. Sometimes they hack websites with poor security and insert their own scripts, other times it's just website admins doing it. Good practice to keep activity monitor showing CPU usage in the dock. uBO is very good, far less CPU use than ABP.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-22, 21:02

Or run ad blocking via Pi-hole and have crypto miners blocked on your network. That works too and there is zero CPU load added.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-22, 23:46

Yeah, for example, if I wanted to be an even bigger jerk than usual, I could just embed a JS crypto miner in the base page header on AppleNova, and all of the time anyone (well, anyone not actively blocking them) spends reading any page on the site would effectively contribute tiny fractions of compute cycles that would cumulatively add up to something more substantial and go into my own wallet. No malware gets installed in your system; it only runs in the background while you're browsing pages that have the code, just the same as any other modern JavaScript, and is easy to hide among all the already insanely bloated "modern" web apps. This strategy works even better on phone/tablet browsers where blockers are less common, less configurable, and not nearly as effective as uBO.

Ironically, I can't even look at the top search result hits for the sites that offer these tools and services because their whole domains are blocked on my home network by my Pi-hole too. I was going to say "like X, Y, or Z" but I guess I'll have to leave that as a research exercise to the reader.

tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-02-23, 01:24

javascript was a mistake.

edit: also this tweet, which i’m reminded of whenever i hear about shenanigans like the js miner libraries, amongst other things: https://twitter.com/garybernhardt/st...976997888?s=21
edwardbarnett
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2021-05-08, 08:18

1 million bucks would be a great start.
edwardbarnett
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2021-05-11, 06:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardbarnett View Post
1 million bucks would be a great start.
If you had that much money to start investing in cryptocurrencies, you would be able to make a lot of money fast. The price of BTC has been fluctuating a lot in the past month, but it hasn't gotten below $50k.
You have to learn about cryptocurrency first. Websites like duckduckgo could be of help. You can find a lot of information about how to work with cryptocurrency. Honestly, I had no idea how it all worked at the beginning, but now when I know the basics, I am confident that I can make good investments.

What a complete tool. GTFO!

~ Kscherer

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-05-11 at 11:14.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-11, 08:29

Dude, you replied to yourself as though you weren't the same account. There is medical treatment for people with your affliction.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-11, 10:48

All that aside, should I actually use CoinBase to invest my million box?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-11, 20:47

I use them but mostly because they were simple. I have no idea of if they are the best or the cheapest, but they work.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2021-05-12, 01:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Whatever you "earn" is basically lost as soon as you pay your utilities.

Unless you live in Toledo.
Even if I know this is meant in the other way, I just need to say Toledo Edison is a monopoly and they're expensive and underpowered.
ChristianPowell

2021-05-12, 06:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardbarnett View Post
If you had that much money to start investing in cryptocurrencies, you would be able to make a lot of money fast. The price of BTC has been fluctuating a lot in the past month, but it hasn't gotten below $50k.
You have to learn about cryptocurrency first. Websites like duckduckgo could be of help. You can find a lot of information about how to work with cryptocurrency. Honestly, I had no idea how it all worked at the beginning, but now when I know the basics, I am confident that I can make good investments.

What a complete tool. GTFO!

~ Kscherer
Like we have 1m to start...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-12, 15:52

Hmmm …

I'm calling a Toledo!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-12, 15:53

At least he used caps for his name. I mean, there must be some civility in there.

I agree though, his location must be Toledo.