User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iCal Dock icon: fixable

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iCal Dock icon: fixable
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-07-14, 08:38

Via MacOrama: iConiCal lets you update iCal's Dock icon without keeping iCal running. It still requires relaunching the Dock (and therefore also Dashboard) each time, but I think that's a far better compromise.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-07-14, 09:23

Why not just leave iCal running? I don't see how modifying/hacking the Dock and Dashboard is a better idea than actually running an app.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-07-14, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Why not just leave iCal running? I don't see how modifying/hacking the Dock and Dashboard is a better idea than actually running an app.
I'm with you, apple007. But there are a ton of people on these boards who think otherwise and would welcome this fix.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-07-14, 11:27

Quote:
Why not just leave iCal running?
Resources. Yes, OS X has excellent memory management, but that doesn't help you when you run an app that ignores it, be it VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop, or Adobe Justaboutanything CS 3 Plus Pro Premium Edition.

Quote:
I don't see how modifying/hacking the Dock and Dashboard is a better idea than actually running an app.
There's no hacking involved; the Dock is merely being relaunched to force an update of iCal's icon. No risk to it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-14, 14:54

It should be notes that relaunching the Dock also un-minimizes all windows, which may be a pain for some.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-07-14, 15:34

I personally feel that having iCal clutter the dock when it is not in use is a waste of space. So, for those who feel similarly, check out: MenuCalendarClock for iCal.

They also have a version for Entourage - if that's what you prefer.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
chucker

2007-07-14, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
I personally feel that having iCal clutter the dock when it is not in use is a waste of space. So, for those who feel similarly, check out: MenuCalendarClock for iCal.
Seconded. Also, an alternative: http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/magical
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-07-15, 04:02

Some of you people must have a lot of apps if you don't even want iCal in your Dock. (Personally, I like having the date right there in front of me, and iCal runs without any windows being open, so it seems win-win.)

Again, to each his own. I just highly prefer to maintain as "native" a system as possible. Seems like whenever an OS update has problems, etc., it's one of these little hack-type programs that's the culprit. The risk-reward just doesn't seem worth it to me, even if it sacrifices a little bit of possible functionality.
chucker

2007-07-15, 04:09

Quote:
Some of you people must have a lot of apps if you don't even want iCal in your Dock.
It's mainly about not wanting it running. I only want to see the date, and perhaps upcoming events. I don't need any editing functionality, nor more complex browsing.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-15, 04:50

What are you trying to do, chucker? Ruin iCal Day?

(45 hours to go!)
chucker

2007-07-15, 05:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
What are you trying to do, chucker? Ruin iCal Day?

(45 hours to go!)

I'll be back in schooling that day, so yes, obviously I'm trying to ruin it for everyone else since I can't attend myself.