AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

AN Story Exchange 1.0

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AN Story Exchange 1.0
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-07, 05:21

So Halloween is 25 days away and since we have this beautiful new forum I thought that I would make a sort of "announcement" thread for AppleNova's first ever (?) short story exchange! Capella and I have been sort of bouncing the idea between ourselves for a few days, and so here it is. There are lots of writing types on this forum, but everybody is welcome to exchange a story, as long as they finish one!

The goal is to write a short story of at least 1,000 words by October 31, at which point the equally-important other half of the goal is to work up the courage to share it! Those of you who know short stories know that 1,000 words is nothing - you can get there by writing just forty words each day, between now and Halloween, and you'll want to write more than that each sitting, I promise. If you don't make it to 1,000 words by Halloween, that's okay too, and you're certainly welcome to share it for feedback, but the goal of this "challenge" is to write 1,000 words. (And 1,000 words is by no means the limit; mine will probably be much longer, provided school cooperates.)

The rules guidelines:

1) The theme of this exchange is "Halloween." It's Halloween, so come to our CE Campfire and share a scary story! But we're leaving the theme deliberately open-ended - if you write a story that doesn't have monsters but still has a lot of fear in it, that's okay, and if you write a story that does have monsters but is more of a mystery that's okay too...all it really has to be is appropriate for Halloween, on one level or another. Not that you couldn't post any other non-Halloweenie stories anywhere else on this new forum! But one reason we're focusing on Halloween is that one of the goals of this is to...

2) Write something new. If you re-write something you've written before, that's great, as long as at least 1,000 words were new I guess. But this is, again, pretty open to interpretation, so if you consider it "new," we will too. Not that there's any way we'd know if you straight-up reposted something from a decade ago (unless you mentioned a character's brand new tangerine computer or something). The real goal is just to...

3) Have fun! I mean, really people, that should go without saying. Also, be sure to follow the Posting Guidelines and be constructive regarding others' work, but that should also go without saying, and I don't really feel I need to tell any of you that...we're all adults here. And speaking of that, feel free to use [NSFW] tags when appropriate, though if you're caught reading entire short stories at work, I doubt the lack of boobage will help your case.

I think it would be super awesome if lots of people participated. It's easy to be shy about creative work but I agree with Stephen King in that sharing it is sort of the final act of the creative process - it's what helps people improve, more than anything else. Plus, who doesn't like reading ghost stories? So don't be shy - even if it's the first thing you've ever written, we'd love to read it!

When you finish your work of creative genius feel free to create a new thread for it, for feedback - we have a wide-open* new forum, after all! Just put something like "[Story Exchange]" in your thread title so we can all be sure to read it. This thread is just for the announcement, and for any questions, and for people to post committing to participate (hint, hint).

As the thread title might suggest, I'd love for this to become a sort of regular thing, in this new forum of ours, so we'll just see how this one goes. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or PM Capella or I, but keep in mind that we're basically making up the "rules" while we go.

I look forward to reading all of your stories very much.

*) Keep in mind that this does seem to be a "wide open" new forum in all senses of the word, meaning that it's viewable to the public without a login. If that is a problem, let me know, and we'll see if we can work out something else.

And once again, thanks to our admin team for this new space! They truly are movers of mountains, makers of worlds, &c. &c.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-07, 07:21

Golly, this story exchange sounds like a fantastic idea! Yes I would like to express my interest in participating!

By the way, there's over 750 words in the above post. 1,000 words is not that much, people.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-10-07, 11:12

I'm down. I have no idea what I'll write about but count me in.

And yeah, 1000 words is nothing. It's about 4 pages, double spaced at 12pt. I'll probably come up with an idea for this story, write it in one sitting, and then spend hours upon hours tweaking it

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-10-07, 11:24

I'll try to do this. 1000 words is almost nothing, pretty sure I've cleared that in some of my posts here; my main problem is the time to do it and the inspiration. But if it kicks me in the butt I'll do it.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2009-10-08, 09:19

if school allows I'd love to do something like this. I love stories of all sorts (minoring in english to go along with my computer science major... not the most common) but haven't really gotten the chance, or made the time to actually create my own. maybe this will get me started
Unch

2009-10-08, 12:27

I'm also going to take a crack at this. Should be fun, but I'm certainly no wordsmith (as my forum posts show). So please go easy on me. I'll try not to be as bad as Garth Marenghi, but you never know.

I've already done about 1000 words towards it, and I think it's going to end up around the 5000 mark. Is that too long?

Also how do you guys feel about illustrations? There is one scene, or rather one image from the story that I'd love to draw if I get the time.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-10-08, 12:37

Yeah, add the illustration definitely. I'm adding a photo to mine.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-08, 16:26

5,000 words is great! And so are illustrations!

Posting from iPhone, will read Xaqtly's story when I get home. I can't believe we already have our first story! Yay Xaqtly!
Unch

2009-10-19, 09:46

Wow, I've really been struggling with this. Like I said I'm no writer, but I never thought that a short story could be so difficult.

I've got the whole thing mapped out in my head and refined to something that I hope others might find to be mildly entertaining. It is getting it down on (virtual) paper that has been the real challenge.

I've ended up scrapping about half the stuff I'd already wrote because I found myself spending too much time on bits that are only there to support the 'meat' of the story. I guess that if I was filming the story, then the additional stuff would work fine, but in written form it was tedious. So hopefully now, I'm back on track for a short story rather than a mini novel.

I'm determined to finish the damn thing - only 12 days left though!

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-19, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unch View Post
Wow, I've really been struggling with this. Like I said I'm no writer, but I never thought that a short story could be so difficult.
It's hard work, isn't it? Makes you appreciate literature more. Authors are only supposed to make it look effortless.

But I'd have it no other way - it's great mental exercise. You can do it! 12 days should still be plenty of time (if anyone new wants to join...hint hint) as long as you don't get too bogged down with the details. Just write, that's the purpose of it. And have fun.

I've been procrastinating on starting a general "inspiration" thread, but now that it's past mid-October and we're in the thick of everything I think it might be especially important, so I'll hop to it.

As for my own story, I've been sort of slacking. I just finished my midterms, like that's an excuse, pssh.

How is your story coming along, Capella?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-31, 00:27

The "deadline" - midnight on Halloween - is now less than 24 hours away, for people on the east coast. How is everybody doing? I, um, have some writing to do...

Hopefully we'll see a veritable cornucopia of creativity tomorrow, with with new threads from Unch, CoachKrzyzewski, Kraetos, Capella, and me. I want this place to be hopping, so I'm not going to post my story until this board hits 2700 posts. We're about 100 posts away from that now, and we should totally hit that milestone tomorrow, if everybody posts their story.

No pressure though. Have fun, you beautiful bastards.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-10-31, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
The "deadline" - midnight on Halloween - is now less than 24 hours away, for people on the east coast. How is everybody doing? I, um, have some writing to do...
I realized that since Monday afternoon I have done 8,972 words of fiction, which is impressive; the bad news is, it's all been Knights of the Old Republic fanfic. *coughs* As for story exchange, well... >.> <.<

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-31, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I realized that since Monday afternoon I have done 8,972 words of fiction, which is impressive; the bad news is, it's all been Knights of the Old Republic fanfic. *coughs* As for story exchange, well... >.> <.<
You can still do it! I know because I still have to do most of mine too...

About 12 more hours! For 1,000 words, that's a piece of cake...

evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2009-10-31, 14:35

oh shoot. gimme some prompts or something...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-31, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
oh shoot. gimme some prompts or something...
Time travel. Pregnancy. A sudden betrayal. Steve Jobs fan fiction.

Not necessarily all in the same story. Go.
Unch

2009-10-31, 19:47

Bugger!

I'm afraid I'm not going to make the deadline. I'm so close to finishing it - just over 4K words and an illustration (well more of a sketch) done. There is only a tiny bit left to do, but my MacBook is nearly out of juice.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-31, 19:53

Plug it in.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-31, 20:03

Quote:
Bugger!

I'm afraid I'm not going to make the deadline. I'm so close to finishing it - just over 4K words and an illustration (well more of a sketch) done. There is only a tiny bit left to do, but my MacBook is nearly out of juice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Plug it in.

I'm afraid I might not be able to quite make the "deadline," either. I just had a sort-of-fight with my mom, and now I'm really upset.

I do have a story to polish up, I promise, but right now I'm just not in the mood. Sorry guys

I do look forward to seeing your story, Unch, and your sketch too. Are you a good sketch-er? I'm horrible

evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2009-11-01, 13:06

aw crap. my roommates convinced me to go out drinking last night. just woke up.

on the bright side, today IS one of the best days of the year (25 hours ftw!)
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-11-01, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
aw crap. my roommates convinced me to go out drinking last night. just woke up.

on the bright side, today IS one of the best days of the year (25 hours ftw!)
What's so good about today? I thought tomorrow is the awesome day? My birthday.
Unch

2009-11-02, 02:31

Well, I finally managed to post it last night before I went out (Thanks pscates for the suggestion )

It's reaffirmed to me that writing is not my calling. But, hey, I'm happy with myself that I've done it. Looking at it again this morning, I've spotted several mistakes and a sentence that makes no sense, but I'm not changing it now.

I'll go through today with a nice bit of self-satisfaction, and looking forward to reading what the good AN writers come up with.

I'm slightly hopeful that Capella will halloween retrofit her fanfic to be ZotOR

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-02, 03:09

Quote:
Well, I finally managed to post it last night before I went out (Thanks pscates for the suggestion )

It's reaffirmed to me that writing is not my calling. But, hey, I'm happy with myself that I've done it. Looking at it again this morning, I've spotted several mistakes and a sentence that makes no sense, but I'm not changing it now.

I'll go through today with a nice bit of self-satisfaction, and looking forward to reading what the good AN writers come up with.
That's the spirit! I saw that you posted it and...I haven't read it yet. It's long, I mean wow...that's awesome that you wrote such a complete story, but it's also a lot to read when you're tired. I'll probably print it out tomorrow, if I have enough paper.

Writing isn't everybody's calling, but it doesn't have to be for people to enjoy scribbling something down every once in a while. It's great mental exercise, and it can make you feel good about yourself. Yay Unch!

I need to finish up my Halloween story before I get into my NaNoWriMo novel (!!!) so you should see at least one more story in the near future. Hopefully the prompts I gave CoachK were helpful, too

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-11-02, 06:28

Duuurrrr. I just realized what he meant by "(25 hours ftw)." I feel like a total idiot. I guess the 25 hours didn't make much difference cause it happened while I was sleeping.

Anyway, I regret not having a story to post - sorry for taking up the space.

I've enjoyed reading the ones submitted thus far tho. Especially unch's sketch! Thanks for the effort everyone.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2009-11-02, 09:04

Quote:
I'm slightly hopeful that Capella will halloween retrofit her fanfic to be ZotOR
So, uh, there were no zombies involved, but my Halloween entry (which I'm unhappy with and thus didn't REALLY want to post) was actually a KotOR piece. It dealt with fear and was supposed to invoke ghosts before I ran out of time...

But now I am thinking that if I am ever sufficiently bored, KotOR + Zombie Hordes would be AMAZING. There is probably dark Sith reanimation magic. I could probably do it...

twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-02, 11:59

Yay Capella! I am off to school now but I will be sure to read your story (and Unch's) when I get home. I'm not super familiar with KotOR, so I will probably be hopelessly confused

And I'll have a short for you all soon, I promise. ^_^ It won't be great, but...

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2009-11-02, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Yay Capella! I am off to school now but I will be sure to read your story (and Unch's) when I get home. I'm not super familiar with KotOR, so I will probably be hopelessly confused
I spoiler-tagged what you need to know to get the story, so hopefully it won't be too confusing. The people who read it at my house last night had never played the game, but still managed to like it anyway, so hopefully that's a good sign.)

Unch

2009-11-11, 08:07

The idea of Capella's ZoTOR fanfic got me thinking and I ended up slapping this together.

I got bored with it so it's in a bit of an unfinished state (especially the lightsabre and the logo), but I thought it might be fun to share rather than leaving it languishing on my Macbook.

This is a kind of a bump, because I'm sure we're missing a story still.