AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC 1.0: The New World

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC 1.0: The New World
Page 3 of 5 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-19, 12:48

Yeah, that's the error you get when the auth server is overloaded.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-11-19, 15:51

I keep getting username errors. I tried logging in for the first time in months...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-19, 19:59

Is it still giving your errors, Maciej?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-11-19, 20:01

Delphi said that spawn has moved out over the OCEAN, and that we're maybe ready to move out to a new location.... Hope to be on later, to see if the mall has been abandoned.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-19, 20:04

So I'll likely build some safety in the new spawn location so people don't die right away. Not a fan of spawn moving like it did.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-11-19, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Delphi said that spawn has moved out over the OCEAN, and that we're maybe ready to move out to a new location.... Hope to be on later, to see if the mall has been abandoned.
No, the mall won't be abandoned....

Oh! and i think i've seen a new design that could be used for the mob trap -- doesn't generate string, though...

I might start construction on a scaled down mockup later tonight. It involves a pit to bedrock and if we did a full sized one that would be a pit 144x144x~60 deep. The scaled down version will give us two positive benefits: knowing whether scaling up is completely necessary AND the creeper juice to drive the excavation.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-11-19 at 21:50.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-11-19, 21:40

Negative! All is well.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-11-19, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Over? If only. Spawn is 20 blocks BELOW the ocean surface. If you don't swim up pretty sharpish, you're done for.

I've set up shop by "new" spawn but apparently it could easily move again next time we restart the server.

Nooooooooottch!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-11-20, 20:30

Grelocian spawned OUTSIDE and ABOVE the safety thing that Turtle set up... so it has moved yet AGAIN, for what it's worth.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-21, 04:54

BTW, Sunday morning one of the Bukkit devs landed a massive patch for Minecraft 1.0.0 and there's a build available. I'll be experimenting with it later… today. Going to bed at 5 AM, am I? Been playing Skyward Sword all night, I have.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-11-21, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Been playing Skyward Sword all night, I have.
Good times!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-22, 00:04

So all my effort into making spawn a safer place seems to be going by the way side. We are looking to move it back to where it was.

On the bright side, there is a portal there now. And it was a fun project to build. I do plan to finish it out too though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-11-22, 00:33

Er. Is everything ok, Brad? .

Also: Thanks again go to Brad and Turtle for maintaining and running the server...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-22, 00:35

He's doming file structure changes right now. It's not just a flip of the switch this time.

And from me, You're very welcome. I'm glad I could do this for everyone.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-11-22, 01:09

Bruce, I've developed a new and speciol (with an "ho") hatred of creepers, and have implemented my patented "Drew's Chickenshit Mob Killer" - which is like the cactus in your dome, except more effective.

It's 2 rows of 3 cactuses, sitting flush with the ground. Below the sand are columns of glass. The ground immediately around the cacti has been replaced by glass block and the area below the glass block is mined out so that you can run around under the cactus, circling the glass columns... forcing baddies to die.

It works especially well with spiders because they can see you through walls and give furious chase.

With creepers though, you must first make open air eye contact with them before they'll chase you back to be killed.

Skellies and zombies are probably the same... requiring eye contact for a serious chase.

I had a similar setup in our Bridgeport World.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-22, 13:24

I've made lots of improvements to the spawn area today. Planning more but need to head to class now. I know spawn might move back, but it'll be nice for that area anyway. Personally I'm beginning to like spawn where it is now. Nether means fast safe travel for those who need it, then again I'm not sure I like spawn so far from "city center".

Though where original spawn is has been turned into a sand mine....

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-11-22, 14:00

My personal opinion is that the new spawn area at Three Peaks is prettier...

But, I'm starting to feel bad about the extent of my land grab if spawn is staying there. I only took what I took because my understanding was that spawn would move (back) again.

What we do need to do quite urgently (and is my next project when I get back on) is connect the Three Peaks portal to the other portals in the nether.

I guess if spawn stays at Three Peaks I'll have to give up some of my "claim". If it moves back to the Mall, then I feel ok about it.
¡Damned!

2011-11-22, 14:05

Spawn moved again? Really? Gah.

NOTCH.

Just checked the map to see where exactly, but new spawn point must not be updated yet. That said, I noticed a portal way out in BFE that must've originated in the Nether.

It's going to be a looong time before I'm able to connect from my project, but since everyone seems to be portalizing maybe Elysium and I could work on one together between his place and my island base. We're pretty close and it probably makes the most sense (unless he already has plans for one, in which case I may request permission to build a path over).

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-11-22, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Though where original spawn is has been turned into a sand mine....
That will be terraformed eventually, and then everyone will want to build on a nice grassy plain with no rainfall.

But yes, we definitely needed a place to harvest sand in the meantime.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-11-22, 14:21

No, I'm still talking about the first time it moved.

Here: http://mcmaps.applenova.com/#layerId...ldZ=916&zoom=4

The house with a brick roof and the rest of that island are me. I also planted the birch grove and built the beginnings of bridges between the three mountains. In my mind, the area I was claiming included all three peaks and the bit of land where the Birch Grove is. I was going to use that land as farmland.

But if spawn is staying there, then I'm not sure that's fair - I've used all the good spots near spawn. It was very much my intention to setup this sort of thing away from civilisation. In which case I'll cede the birch grove area and the mountains and retreat to my island. I'll probably knock down my "hut" (where Fireflygirl1 and Stretchmonkey are now) and put the birches there instead.

But! If spawn moves back to the Mall, then I'll revert to plan A and build a Three Peaks mountain complex. Although maybe Delphi would like the peak nearest him? Either way, let me know so I can plan.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-11-22, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Spawn moved again? Really? Gah.

NOTCH.

Just checked the map to see where exactly, but new spawn point must not be updated yet. That said, I noticed a portal way out in BFE that must've originated in the Nether.

It's going to be a looong time before I'm able to connect from my project, but since everyone seems to be portalizing maybe Elysium and I could work on one together between his place and my island base. We're pretty close and it probably makes the most sense (unless he already has plans for one, in which case I may request permission to build a path over).
I think that portal in BFE was the results of turtle's mixup on the +/- of the coordinate system.

As to the portal in our area, I think I have a solution. There's a large cavern right below the surface to the west of my tower (flat area). The stonebrick-glass-jack o'lantern hut on the shore there is actually an entrance into it. It would be a perfect "moody" spot for a portal and there is a partially lit passage behind the waterfall that you could probably tap into from your island for a connection.

I'm already going to modify the surface entrance to connect as both waterfall and an encircling stairwell. I'm also going to be doing some work on my entrance to the tower on the surface over the cavern as well.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-11-22, 14:27

Ok... So it's going to get crowded in the Nether very shortly. The path from my portal to spawn portal isn't that long. So some decisions should probably be made about *which* portals get built/removed. I think that Steve's portal is probably too close to Spawn portal, but perhaps he could share one with RS a little further out. I don't want the Nether to be an endless mass of portals.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-11-22, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Ok... So it's going to get crowded in the Nether very shortly. The path from my portal to spawn portal isn't that long. So some decisions should probably be made about *which* portals get built/removed. I think that Steve's portal is probably too close to Spawn portal, but perhaps he could share one with RS a little further out. I don't want the Nether to be an endless mass of portals.
Maybe a underground train line (in the real world) from spawn to the cavern and then to your portal/nearby? Cuts down on clutter in the Nether and isn't that unfeasible to do.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-23, 03:24

I hope you don't mind the addition (and new neighbor) to your old home at The Mall, Drew. Come check it out when you have the time.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-11-23, 09:45

I made the trek down... too funny!! Is ALL the music creepy? I tried to adjust the QR coded dance floor into a square in Photoshop, but can't seem to get it to scan.... any hints?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-11-23, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
That will be terraformed eventually, and then everyone will want to build on a nice grassy plain with no rainfall.

But yes, we definitely needed a place to harvest sand in the meantime.
Well, that certainly does make it more appealing of an area then.

So about spawn....

I just killed myself and removed my bed (in the other order) and ended up on the glass cube of safety I built at the spawn point on the map. So I don't get why the spawn protection area isn't in effect there. Spawn hasn't moved again it seems.

For those who don't know, the Hard Shell Armory is back in business. To get to it you need to go the Nether near the original spawn portal. I made it ghast blast proof. I do ask you all be sure to only take what you need.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-11-23, 12:49

QR coded! ha.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2011-11-23, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Two points of note for tonight…

First, I hope you don't mind the addition (and new neighbor) to your old home at The Mall, Drew. Come check it out when you have the time.

Second, land grab! Seems no one else has taken up camp in the swamplands southeast of the most recent spawn near Three Peaks. gerlocian's last known position was under an adjacent mountain, but I don't expect he'll mind having an aboveground neighbor since he'll probably be mostly underground.

Objections?
Really? That's where I am?

Thank you. I have been completely lost.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-11-24, 16:04

I think it's interesting to note what we haven't found in the 1.0 map yet:

No snow.
No villages.
No strongholds.
No mushroom biome. (Admittedly, I've never seen one of these in any map.)

W've been a fair way North and South East and still none of them appear. Are they rarer in 1.0, or is it just dumb luck?
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-11-24, 16:14

dumb luck